ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Miracle on Ice Goalie Jim Craig, to auction his Gold Metal

It's somewhat sad, but it doesn't sound like he's in financial trouble if you believe what he says in the article. The entire collection was listed as one lot for $5.7M last summer before it was pulled, so it doesn't appear he's under the gun to cash out.

"I'm selling my 'Miracle on Ice' collection to ensure a healthy financial future for my children and grandchildren," Craig said, according to a news release from the auction house. "I also plan to donate proceeds from the auction to charities and causes that are near and dear to my heart."

It's somewhat sad, but it doesn't sound like he's in financial trouble if you believe what he says in the article. The entire collection was listed as one lot for $5.7M last summer before it was pulled, so it doesn't appear he's under the gun to cash out.

"I'm selling my 'Miracle on Ice' collection to ensure a healthy financial future for my children and grandchildren," Craig said, according to a news release from the auction house. "I also plan to donate proceeds from the auction to charities and causes that are near and dear to my heart."

No. It's sad. Some things should just be yours. If Craig does not really need the money then it's still sad as he no longer values the memorabilia.

[I said:
"I'm selling my 'Miracle on Ice' collection to ensure a healthy financial future for my children and grandchildren," Craig said, according to a news release from the auction house. "I also plan to donate proceeds from the auction to charities and causes that are near and dear to my heart."[/I]

Not sad at all.

Comfortable debt fee life, kids financial future assured, grand kids off to college, cash to the local food bank and new tents for Cub Pack 583...or...some old things in a closet that he cant take with him when he dies?

Although a great piece of Americana in the end its just stuff, perhaps somebody will buy the whole collection and put it in a sports museum (I'd pay a couple bucks to see it) or nicely displayed at a sports bar where the public can look and admire.

5 million? I might make a copy of the gold medal for my mantel but I'd sell the stuff in a heartbeat.

Go Blue!

Hell I have a gold medal from high school for state track meet and I wouldnt give that up...then again no one is offering me millions for it

Reactions: sparky62
No. It's sad. Some things should just be yours. If Craig does not really need the money then it's still sad as he no longer values the memorabilia.

I'm sure he still values it. It just sounds like he values the financial security of his children and grandchildren more. He will always have the memories. If it's not sad to him, and it doesn't sound like it is, it's not up to us to make it sad for him.

Its somewhat a sad state of affairs when a man considers ensuring his families future, at the expense of *personal* ownership of a flag and a sports medal (seriously he's not burning them, they will probably end up on display somewhere) and people are considering him "sad" for choosing his family.

Graham was given no choice, but life's going to move on for him even though there's one less championship ring in this world.

I'm sure he still values it. It just sounds like he values the financial security of his children and grandchildren more. He will always have the memories. If it's not sad to him, and it doesn't sound like it is, it's not up to us to make it sad for him.

I pretty sure the comments posted by me are mine and mine alone. Always have been and always will be. I understand that 5 mil is a lot of money. Still say it's sad that he's willing to give them up.

the actual value of a gold medal is between $500-$600

I have a hard time believing that anyone would turn down $5+million dollars for a gold medal.

Can someone cite some examples of a sentimental item that they wouldn't part with for $5 million.
It would be tough but I would bet many would even part with a beloved pet for $5 mill (provided it is going to a good home).

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I vote with the "not sad" group. I'm starting to downsize for moving after retirement and darn near everything you look at has some kind of memory associated with it, but "at the end of the day", it's just stuff. Of course a gold medal is pretty special.

Its his and he can do whatever he wants with it. Thats a lot of scratch for a medal. Put me in the category of probably doing the same. It will be pretty good feeling for him to know that he has taken care of a couple of generations of family members. The next generation might have sold it anyway.

Smart guy thinking about his family first. I see some of my friends that want to relive old "jock" days and don't live in the now. He has the memories and friends from his younger days.

Actually had a neighbor who was upset his son wasn't chosen to be in our local High School athletic hall of fame. I would be much more concerned that his son becomes a good father, husband, contributes to society, and a good friend.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Good for him! If someone is willing to pay for it and you can provide for your next 1 or 2 generations you would be stupid not to. He worked his ass off earn these things, and at the end of the day they are just things, it shows he is a smart guy who would rather provide security for his family than hang on to memorabilia.

A gold medal is just a "thing." Every single poster in this thread has hundreds or thousands of "things" that they never even look at and are just stored in a closet or drawer somewhere.

He's not giving up his spot on the team or the memories that he created, he's just relinquishing a physical object that's tied to that accomplishment.

Not everyone on the planet is as materialistic as some people, and thank God for that.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
A gold medal is just a "thing." Every single poster in this thread has hundreds or thousands of "things" that they never even look at and are just stored in a closet or drawer somewhere.

He's not giving up his spot on the team or the memories that he created, he's just relinquishing a physical object that's tied to that accomplishment.

Not everyone on the planet is as materialistic as some people, and thank God for that.
Im all for him selling it....or anything that you don't want to keep for that matter. However, I sure as hell wouldnt call keeping a gold medal materialistic. Its a Gold Medal from the Olympic Games, not a Mazerati.

Reactions: sparky62

Some people get far too nostalgic about the strangest things. I guess that's why they pay obscene amounts of money for various collectibles. I, on the other hand, would gladly take their money as they can buy the physical item but I will always retain the actual memory of the moment....which is what counts.

Kudos to Mr. Craig for his financial sense!

Im all for him selling it....or anything that you don't want to keep for that matter. However, I sure as hell wouldnt call keeping a gold medal materialistic. Its a Gold Medal from the Olympic Games, not a Mazerati.

What exactly do you do with it? Put it on a shelf somewhere and gaze longingly? Hang it by the front door so you can impress the hell out of solicitors and Jehovah's Witnesses?

I'd rather watch highlights of the game or rehash the memories with my former teammates. Who the hell cares about staring at a medal?

He's still an Olympic champion whether he has actual possession of the medal or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT