ADVERTISEMENT

OT: lower back pain

Can't believe it just got overlooked in this thread that someone used WAP when talking about their wife. We all know that's not real. Wives don't have WAPs. Right?........right?.....
I noticed it and got a chuckle, but wasn't going to touch it.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
In all seriousness, take your time and work back to normal in the next couple weeks. Ice for pain, apply heat and stretch like a MOFO before doing anything mildly physical.

Sometimes just mowing the lawn and walking the dogs, bringin in Groceries is a challenge for me nowadays.

Read this on how not to do it. I respect the man and the mission. But Damn!

0a494a0ae4543a4dcc539f87e9194af1.jpg
Wonder if he got a lot of WAP?

Swim. I sustained a severe disc herniation this spring doing deadlifts. I learned that age 58 is not a good age at which to do deadlifts apparently. I did de-compression therapy for a few weeks, and then took up swimming. Swimming has allowed me to get back in shape, losing 20 pounds. I'm fortunate that the University of Iowa rec center has a world-class natatorium, but any pool will do.

In all seriousness, take your time and work back to normal in the next couple weeks. Ice for pain, apply heat and stretch like a MOFO before doing anything mildly physical.

Sometimes just mowing the lawn and walking the dogs, bringin in Groceries is a challenge for me nowadays.

Read this on how not to do it. I respect the man and the mission. But Damn!

0a494a0ae4543a4dcc539f87e9194af1.jpg

God love him, but Ronnie was just dumb. Taking time off and starting back at crazy weights. Then not taking any rehab time when hurt. Just kept pushing through. Just silly stuff.

Swim. I sustained a severe disc herniation this spring doing deadlifts. I learned that age 58 is not a good age at which to do deadlifts apparently. I did de-compression therapy for a few weeks, and then took up swimming. Swimming has allowed me to get back in shape, losing 20 pounds. I'm fortunate that the University of Iowa rec center has a world-class natatorium, but any pool will do.
I wish more small communities would invest in indoor heated pools/water therapy. Best think for joints and exercise for older people.... I'm getting there. Seems like they want to build 5 million dollar water parks instead

I wish more small communities would invest in indoor heated pools/water therapy. Best think for joints and exercise for older people.... I'm getting there. Seems like they want to build 5 million dollar water parks instead
Great observation. I'm lucky to live in Iowa City and work for the university, which gives me access to the natatorium. Other places I've lived limit lap swimming time to an hour or two a day and/or have you try to swim laps next to 8-year olds throwing toys into your lane and retrieving them.

My brother-in-law just built a large indoor pool out on the farm for that reason. Grandma uses it to do water aerobics as well. Seemed kind of silly to me but they have parties there and all of the nieces and nephews get a shot at birthday parties there too. For all of you folks complaining about "rich" farmers, he's 60 and built a huge ag business which includes a grain elevator over the past 40 years. Very smart guy.

I hurt my back squatting. I was using to much weight but anyways, I lost weight and did alot of planking and other bodyweight exercises to strengthen my core. I haven't had a problem since.

The Dr. gave me some muscle relaxers, when I hurt my back. It did the trick.

Drinking and Hydrocodone really work well. The Tylenol slows down the metabolism of the alcohol....or is the other way around. Oh well, they've shown that people who take Tylenol and then consume alcohol get a better buzz on. So I routinely do both. The Hydrocodone is reserved for special occasions like when my neck hurts so bad that alcohol alone won't do the trick.
Is this how you came up with your name? 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I hurt my back squatting. I was using to much weight but anyways, I lost weight and did alot of planking and other bodyweight exercises to strengthen my core. I haven't had a problem since.

The Dr. gave me some muscle relaxers, when I hurt my back. It did the trick.
Me and my wife are getting into "yoga", aka core stability and bodily autonomy.
Wife has terrible posture and posterior chain is all out of whack due to muscular tightness. I want to strengthen eventually but this should hopefully set the stage without setting things back.

Reactions: red scowl
Me and my wife are getting into "yoga", aka core stability and bodily autonomy.
Wife has terrible posture and posterior chain is all out of whack due to muscular tightness. I want to strengthen eventually but this should hopefully set the stage without setting things back.
You need to have your wife lay on her back with her knees pulled up as far as she can towards her armpits.......

It might not do anything for her back.

I threw my back out dead lifting a few months ago. I went to the chiropractor and they did e-stem and popped me. Doing that a few times got me so I could bend over again.

After that it was movement. Went really light on weight and continued to lift. Movement, heat and stretching for me back to normal in a month or so.

Also, do you know why/how you got hurt? Seems odd to throw it out with just the bar.

Deadlifting is the devil.

If you are not playing a sport, I would just stop it. Unless you have a trap-bar, that seems to make it nicer.

So how's the back this morning? I always make it a point to check in on my "patients' the day after a visit.:)
Oh sorry. Just saw this. Getting better thanks. Around Wednesday I felt like I can start planking. And that seems to help a lot. But yes your drug cocktail was quite potent and glorious. But I haven’t needed to take that many since Tuesday night

Reactions: dinglefritz
McKenzie stretching exercise fixed me. Prior to doing this I was scared to sit down / scared to stand up because the pain to get past the mid point was excruciating. Did the stretch and felt the disc/nerve roll back in and had instant relief after 10 days of pain. Best of Luck.

Reactions: NebChicago
Drinking and Hydrocodone really work well. The Tylenol slows down the metabolism of the alcohol....or is the other way around. Oh well, they've shown that people who take Tylenol and then consume alcohol get a better buzz on. So I routinely do both. The Hydrocodone is reserved for special occasions like when my neck hurts so bad that alcohol alone won't do the trick.

I don't know if you are joking, but never take acetaminophen (Tylenol) and alcohol together. You will cause liver damage. Acetaminophen is toxic to the liver in higher doses and combined with alcohol will damage your liver like a heavy drinker. If in doubt READ THE BOTTLE!

I don't know if you are joking, but never take acetaminophen (Tylenol) and alcohol together. You will cause liver damage. Acetaminophen is toxic to the liver in higher doses and combined with alcohol will damage your liver like a heavy drinker. If in doubt READ THE BOTTLE!
I know very well how acetaminophen is metabolized. Intermittent concomitant acetaminophen and alcohol use isn't very likely to cause you any problems. In other words, taking 2 tylenol and drinking a couple of beers every week or so isn't likely to cause irreversible liver damage. Taking 2 Tylenol 3 times/day for a week and getting soused every night during that time might cause some damage.

Maybe joking... but definitely not good advice, unless u want to blow out your liver

I picked up a couple dumbbells and twisted... needless to say that jacked my lower back. Had sciatica pain and a numb left little pinkie toe for a month. Went and got an MRI and found I had herniated a disc. I started doing a ton of stretching and after a couple weeks I got relief and could sit in my car again with intense sharp pain. Good luck, after my disc injury I’ve been back in the gym but life light and do high reps. I’m 40, and have no one to impress.

Maybe joking... but definitely not good advice, unless u want to blow out your liver
Joking. Not to say it hasn't been done before. 1 hydrocodone with one cocktail isn't probably going to kill anyone though. True story, we and another couple were staying out west with a friend who played MLB for 13 years. He's in his 70s and has a horribly arthritic shoulder that gives him constant pain and keeps him from sleeping at night. Refuses to get it replaced. One night at his place we had a big dinner with multiple fine wines and THEN hit his high end bourbon collection. Yeah, we had too much to drink.

The next morning we're sitting out on his porch with his wife drinking coffee waiting for the man of the house to get up and I finally ask "Where's (fictitious name) Bob?" His wife says "He's still sleeping. He took 2 Ambien and 2 Hydrocodone before bed because his shoulder hurt so bad". He's not a large guy and he had several glasses of bourbon on top of a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. My reply was geezus go make sure he's still breathing. She went and got him up and he was grinning from ear to ear when he came out with his coffee. Said he had put an ice pack on his shoulder and fell asleep and the ice pack was still there when his wife woke him up. He had been out for about 9 hours and never moved an inch in bed. Yikes. He just kept saying "man I haven't slept like that for years". He's probably lucky that didn't turn in to a long nap in the dirt.

"I'm lucky to live in Iowa City"
Said nobody ever, until you said it. I had to re-read this a handful of times to make sure my eyes weren't failing. You had the rona? This may be a terrible side effect of it. You are in my prayers.

Reactions: 9and4
Lower back pain sucks. Same type of thing happened to me. Don’t waste your time and money going to see an orthopedic. They will give a prescription for muscle relaxers and stretches to do.

I know they aren’t all legit, but a chiropractor did help me...that and a good whiskey 🥃. Cheers and good luck. You’ll be feeling good again in a few weeks. Do light house chores... don’t lay in bed all day as that will delay your recovery.

Lower back pain sucks. Same type of thing happened to me. Don’t waste your time and money going to see an orthopedic. They will give a prescription for muscle relaxers and stretches to do.

I know they aren’t all legit, but a chiropractor did help me...that and a good whiskey 🥃. Cheers and good luck. You’ll be feeling good again in a few weeks. Do light house chores... don’t lay in bed all day as that will delay your recovery.
That’s funny... I never liked drinking straight up whiskey until this week. My palette finally came around after back pain and a desire to lose some lbs (tying to steer clear of that delicious beer).
Woodford Reserve is pretty damn good

Reactions: dinglefritz
That’s funny... I never liked drinking straight up whiskey until this week. My palette finally came around after back pain and a desire to lose some lbs (tying to steer clear of that delicious beer).

She'll enjoy it too.

- Frank Thomas

Found a 750ml bottle of Evan Williams for < $10. Does the job just fine.

Thank the lord I can finally sneeze without fearing my coccyx is gonna protrude my asshole. Also won my tennis matches last night

I do understand the struggle of having fight off back pain all the time. I have had a back injury for many years already and I have been struggling with it for a long time.
I have tried pretty much everything there is to try in order to relieve the pain. I have been to different physical therapies, I have done yoga and meditation. I have been on any known painkiller there is. I even thought about surgery (but spinal cord injury and paralysis freaked me out too much to do it).
I have been in contact with many different doctors and honestly not a whole lot of good they did me. What helps me the most these days is a combination of acupuncture with controlled doss of kratom and a lot of rest and good stretching before any physical activity. I was kind of skeptical about it at first but a lot of my friends said that there are a lot of natural alternatives for pain and anxiety. I have done some research on what works best and and it was kratom which is the best strain for the anxiety and pain relief. I have been taking it ever since and it does help so I feel like maybe you should try it as well.

Last edited:
Also had some back pain problems because of work at the office, seeing as I’m not doing anything physically intensive. Muscle relaxants didn’t do jack unless taken every four hours, and at that point I didn’t wanna become some junkie. Usually I just had to grit it out and a soak in the evening would make me feel better. I’d try some CBD products, but unfortunately they’re not available where I live so I found red bali kratom as a very good alternative instead, and it’s doing a great job so far at numbing the pain.

Last edited:
Something else to consider is the age of your mattress. After having 2 disc herniations, one upper and one lower, I have trouble sleeping on any mattress that is not extra firm or older than a few years. I mostly run into this when traveling now, as many hotels don't have newer mattresses. At home, I actually sleep on the floor with a series of mats, asian style. I started doing this about 2 years ago, but it's helped my back tremendously. It's also helped with my flexibility in being able to get up off the floor without using anything to hold on to. If you're over 50, this might be of some benefit too.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I've had a bad back for about 30 years and I soak twice a day in my hot tub to keep my back loose or it cramps up terribly.. if you can soak in a bath tub a couple times a day until you feel loosened up I'd do that instead of relying only on pills that might make you more confident in you"re movement than you should be. Muscle relaxers are good but soaking takes alot of the inflammation down also. Good luck

Get a good office chair. I got one last week from Staples and so far it has helped expose my prior poor sitting posture.

Don't get a "gaming chair". total shit

Reactions: CatColumbia
Day 3 of my NYE resolution and I jack up my lower back squatting (just an Olympic bar no weights). My god I can’t do shit. It hurts to put my socks on. I thinks it’s just a sprain. I’m doin ice baths, ice, aleve and stretching. Any remedies out there for a quick heal? Besides snorting OxyContin

getting old sucks
MSM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT