ADVERTISEMENT

OT: lower back pain

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Day 3 of my NYE resolution and I jack up my lower back squatting (just an Olympic bar no weights). My god I can’t do shit. It hurts to put my socks on. I thinks it’s just a sprain. I’m doin ice baths, ice, aleve and stretching. Any remedies out there for a quick heal? Besides snorting OxyContin

getting old sucks

Day 3 of my NYE resolution and I jack up my lower back squatting (just an Olympic bar no weights). My god I can’t do shit. It hurts to put my socks on. I thinks it’s just a sprain. I’m doin ice baths, ice, aleve and stretching. Any remedies out there for a quick heal? Besides snorting OxyContin

getting old sucks

Stupid, I did the same thing years 10 years ago. I ruptured my lowest disc. Turns out I have degenerative disc disease from years and years of powerlifting squats. I avoided surgery by doing back, hamstring, etc exercises every day, jogging helps a lot with blood circulation.

Does it hurt worse after sitting down for a while or when you're up and walking?

It sucks because I have to do these exercises to strengthen muscles around my back and jog or walk daily for the rest of my life. If I don't it gets bad again.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I have an idea....never..i mean never tell people on this board you hurt your lower back squatting the bar.. even if you put "olympic" in front of it.

In all seriousness im sorry it does suck getting old and i have felt your pain.. just hope i made you laugh a little hope it gets better bud

getting old sucks

Drink...everyday...and make sure you don’t stop until you have difficulty reading.

This is actually marriage advice as well in case you needed that too.

I threw my back out dead lifting a few months ago. I went to the chiropractor and they did e-stem and popped me. Doing that a few times got me so I could bend over again.

After that it was movement. Went really light on weight and continued to lift. Movement, heat and stretching for me back to normal in a month or so.

Also, do you know why/how you got hurt? Seems odd to throw it out with just the bar.

Could be a kidney stone OP, I'd call ahead to the hospital and have them prepare a spinal block, you're about to give birth out your urethra.

getting old sucks
Stop lying.

You had 4 plates on each side.

If you can get your hands on an inversion table, it could definitely do wonders.

Reactions: RedMyMind

getting old sucks
I would take 4 Alleve and 2 arthritis strength Tylenol at the same time twice/day. The Tylenol you can take 4 times/day. The OTC dose of Alleve is not high enough level to provide much anti-inflammatory effect. 4 Alleve give you the same level of active ingredient as the prescription dose of that anti-inflammatory. I'm assuming that if you're doing squats that you don't have pre-existing kidney or liver disease. The Tylenol doen't have anti-inflammatory effect but Alleve and Tylenol work at different pain pathways giving an additive effect.. I took 4 Alleve and 2 extra strength Tylenol for an extended period of time before I had a joint replaced. IF you have any issues with inflammatory GI disease or ulcers don't do take the Alleve. A heating pad is a better option for your back than ice.

IF you have any tingling or numbness in your legs there's a good chance you've protruded a disc and you need to see an M.D. right away. Even without those symptoms you might have damaged a disc in your lower back. Been there done that. I've got multiple degenerative discs in my lower back. An orthopedic surgeon 12 years ago said he wouldn't do my hip until he did my back. I still haven't had the back done and it actually has ankylosed to the point that it bridged one of the degenerated discs.

Do you have sciatica at all, pain running down your leg and/or feet? If not, you’ll be good with what you’re doing in a week or so. I had a ruptured L4/L5 disc about 8 years ago. Did every possible treatment you could do like pills, physical therapy, spinal decompression, chiropractor, acupuncture etc. Finally after 4 years of struggling I met with a surgeon and had a microdiscectomy. It provided immediate relief and have been 99% better ever since. Wish I would’ve done it sooner.

Drink...everyday...and make sure you don’t stop until you have difficulty reading.

This is actually marriage advice as well in case you needed that too.
Drinking and Hydrocodone really work well. The Tylenol slows down the metabolism of the alcohol....or is the other way around. Oh well, they've shown that people who take Tylenol and then consume alcohol get a better buzz on. So I routinely do both. The Hydrocodone is reserved for special occasions like when my neck hurts so bad that alcohol alone won't do the trick.

Last edited:
A good way to stretch your lower back is to lay on the floor with your butt against the wall and put your legs straight up the wall. Your hamstrings might scream at you at first, but it's a great back stretch. Even if your back is too far out of whack for it to work this time, keep it in mind for future use.

Last edited:
I threw my back out dead lifting a few months ago. I went to the chiropractor and they did e-stem and popped me. Doing that a few times got me so I could bend over again.

After that it was movement. Went really light on weight and continued to lift. Movement, heat and stretching for me back to normal in a month or so.

Also, do you know why/how you got hurt? Seems odd to throw it out with just the bar.
I was dumb and lifted when my back was already feeling sore. Honestly I usually only lift upper body vanity muscles in a life long effort to only have useless muscles and stimulate my wife’s WAP. I never lift legs because I get so damn sore every time I try then again. Honestly think it’s just tweaked muscle but man does it suck picking up dog shit and getting out of bed

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I would take 4 Alleve and 2 arthritis strength Tylenol at the same time twice/day. The Tylenol you can take 4 times/day. The OTC dose of Alleve is not high enough level to provide much anti-inflammatory effect. 4 Alleve give you the same level of active ingredient as the prescription dose of that anti-inflammatory. I'm assuming that if you're doing squats that you don't have pre-existing kidney or liver disease. The Tylenol doen't have anti-inflammatory effect but Alleve and Tylenol work at different pain pathways giving an additive effect.. I took 4 Alleve and 2 extra strength Tylenol for an extended period of time before I had a joint replaced. IF you have any issues with inflammatory GI disease or ulcers don't do take the Alleve. A heating pad is a better option for your back than ice.

IF you have any tingling or numbness in your legs there's a good chance you've protruded a disc and you need to see an M.D. right away. Even without those symptoms you might have damaged a disc in your lower back. Been there done that. I've got multiple degenerative discs in my lower back. An orthopedic surgeon 12 years ago said he wouldn't do my hip until he did my back. I still haven't had the back done and it actually has ankylosed to the point that it bridged one of the degenerated discs.
Thx. Will do. No tingling so far. But did cancel my doubles tennis tonight which sucks

Do you have sciatica at all, pain running down your leg and/or feet? If not, you’ll be good with what you’re doing in a week or so. I had a ruptured L4/L5 disc about 8 years ago. Did every possible treatment you could do like pills, physical therapy, spinal decompression, chiropractor, acupuncture etc. Finally after 4 years of struggling I met with a surgeon and had a microdiscectomy. It provided immediate relief and have been 99% better ever since. Wish I would’ve done it sooner.
Nada thx

Is it literally labeled “arthritis strength Tylenol”?

Thx. Will do. No tingling so far. But did cancel my doubles tennis tonight which sucks
I would bet if you did the 4 Alleve and 2 ES Tylenol tonight, you'll feel like playing tennis tomorrow. Do that with food. It's amazing how debilitating a muscle spasm in your back can be and how quickly it can go away. Put a heating pad under your back before you go to bed on LOW. Don't do 4 Alleve if you have a weak stomach and I would back off to 2 or 3 tomorrow probably. My brother in law is a cardiologist and he's the one who turned my on to the prescription level on Naproxen (Alleve). Alleve is 220 mg. Naproxen Rx is 550 mg. The bottle recommendation is one every 6-8 hours of Naproxen and that's where the 4 tabs of Alleve twice/day comes from.

I injured my lower back squatting 10 years ago. I can only squat on the smith machine now with limited weight. Do not push it when it comes to your back. I re-injured my lower back in April by running on blacktop. I’ve been nursing it since then. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings and walk daily. I’ve been squatting the past three months but I always feel some tightness the days that I do it. Do not squat for a while is my advice. If you’re in your 20s you might be able to recover and get back to the way you once were.

Some things I’ve done to help the process:

-Stretch daily
-Continue working out/moving but don’t squat.
-Once your lower back feels better do lower back excercises to strengthen.
-sleep with a pillow under your knees or between your legs.

From April - July I couldn’t even walk. By August I was able to jog on a treadmill and by September I was able to do light squatting on the Smith machine. Time will heal it, trust me.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
Last time my lower back got pretty bad my Doctor gave me a scrip for Flexeril,( muscle relaxer) It worked wonders.

I injured my lower back squatting 10 years ago. I can only squat on the smith machine now with limited weight. Do not push it when it comes to your back. I re-injured my lower back in April by running on blacktop. I’ve been nursing it since then. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings and walk daily. I’ve been squatting the past three months but I always feel some tightness the days that I do it. Do not squat for a while is my advice. If you’re in your 20s you might be able to recover and get back to the way you once were.
Back in the day, I used to like to use a leg press machine at the Y in Rochester MN when I lived there. That's a much preferable way to work your legs than doing squats. Your chance of injuring yourself is much less.

I was dumb and lifted when my back was already feeling sore. Honestly I usually only lift upper body vanity muscles in a life long effort to only have useless muscles and stimulate my wife’s WAP. I never lift legs because I get so damn sore every time I try then again. Honestly think it’s just tweaked muscle but man does it suck picking up dog shit and getting out of bed

If you haven’t squatted in a long time, it may be worth finding someone that knows what they’re doing to help you. I didn’t really squat since high school and then went back to the gym to start really lifting a little over a year ago. And everything I was taught in high school was wrong. From being taught to look up instead of down to where to set the bar on my back. Having somebody who knows what they were doing helped me a ton.

And the soreness goes away after two weeks when you stick to lifting legs. But once you take a week or two off, it’s back to square one on soreness.

I dealt with this last year, its no bueno. But I did get it resolved. Turned out it was super easy to fix.

I ruptured a lumbar disc about 15 years ago. After nearly a year of injections, MRIs, pain meds, etc, I went in for surgery. Felt 90% better, but still prone to problems and need to carefully watch things. When I have back problems now (and they can be set off by the littlest things), it's a combo of muscle relaxers and booze. That usually relieves the pain enough to function. If it's really bad, then I double up on both which leads to a nice nap. On the floor. Last time I aggravated it, it took about a week or two to go away. Good luck.

Last edited:
Not sure how old the OP or some of the best of you are but one thing I have learned is that as we get older, it doesn't take very long for us to lose our strength and muscle tone. I was reading an article about some "older" guys who still loft, early 60's into late 70's and that was a common complaint. I don't lift much weight, whoops, am I not supposed to admit that? But I take care of my 90 year old father and I have watched him lose the strength in his legs, then get it back with therapy and keep repeating the cycle. You don't have to lift heavy weight and losing some helps as well. 😄

Reactions: huskerfan66
I would bet if you did the 4 Alleve and 2 ES Tylenol tonight, you'll feel like playing tennis tomorrow. Do that with food. It's amazing how debilitating a muscle spasm in your back can be and how quickly it can go away. Put a heating pad under your back before you go to bed on LOW. Don't do 4 Alleve if you have a weak stomach and I would back off to 2 or 3 tomorrow probably. My brother in law is a cardiologist and he's the one who turned my on to the prescription level on Naproxen (Alleve). Alleve is 220 mg. Naproxen Rx is 550 mg. The bottle recommendation is one every 6-8 hours of Naproxen and that's where the 4 tabs of Alleve twice/day comes from.
All right guy I met on the internet. Just got back from Walgreens and swallowed 4 alleve and 2 arthritis Tylenol with a snack. Got heating pad going. Hopefully I’m not blowing dudes for crack on the south side this time tomorrow

Tonight I was squatting 450 Pounds and was on my 8th rep of my 4th set and felt a little spasm. I decided to rest and made sure I massaged my soft tissue with a tennis ball. It worked.

Not sure how old the OP or some of the best of you are but one thing I have learned is that as we get older, it doesn't take very long for us to lose our strength and muscle tone. I was reading an article about some "older" guys who still loft, early 60's into late 70's and that was a common complaint. I don't lift much weight, whoops, am I not supposed to admit that? But I take care of my 90 year old father and I have watched him lose the strength in his legs, then get it back with therapy and keep repeating the cycle. You don't have to lift heavy weight and losing some helps as well. 😄
41, and about 10 shekels over weight

getting old sucks
rest but dont be totally sedentary. once things calm down after about 3 days start with daily bridges and planks as soon as you can stand the pain.
also instead of squatting switch to lunges and bulgarian split squats to replicate muscle stimulation but reduce stress on the lower back. you dont have to squat there are replacement exercises that can do the same thing but put less stress on the lower back. also goblet squats where the weight is held in front will help your torso stay more upright versus putting weight on your back.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
All right guy I met on the internet. Just got back from Walgreens and swallowed 4 alleve and 2 arthritis Tylenol with a snack. Got heating pad going. Hopefully I’m not blowing dudes for crack on the south side this time tomorrow
My M,D, wife just used to shake her head at me taking that much Alleve but it was her brother that I witnessed popping 2 Naproxen (1100mg) at once for a knee problem he was having. I wouldn't recommend doing it long term but I was taking 4 Alleve with Tylenol in the morning just to get through the day and then 2 or 3 at night with Tylenol so I could try to sleep and I did that for months. It's a wonder I have any liver or kidney function left at all. When that stopped working I had my hip replaced 12 years ago on my 50th birthday. Way too many high impact sports for too many years. I've got multiple other joints now that I've been told I need to have replaced. Most days I can get by without anything other than the Tylenol at night. I can't take Alleve anymore due to another health issue I have.

Whatever you do don't take Alleve along with Aspirin or Ibuprofen. A friend of mine did that for at least a year before he had both knees replaced. When he told me what he had been doing I just looked at him in disbelief and said, "you're kidding". But he wasn't. He had what looked like a 5000 count bottle of Alleve under his counter at his bar. Sometimes it's remarkable what the human body will withstand.

Last edited:

getting old sucks
I used to carry to bags of Portland think they weighed 96 pounds with ease now 40 years later arthritis and to much lifting I struggle to carry a 40 pound bag of dog food

Can't believe it just got overlooked in this thread that someone used WAP when talking about their wife. We all know that's not real. Wives don't have WAPs. Right?........right?.....

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace

getting old sucks

It's probably the Corona virus. Get the vaccine and you'll be fine.

Though more radical measures will be needed for a couple weeks or more, try to get in the daily habit of standing in a warm shower and let the spray hit your back until the hot water tank nearly turns cold. I do that and combine some slow toe touches to warm up my chronically bad lower back every day. Not a cure but seems to have greatly reduced episodes.

In all seriousness, take your time and work back to normal in the next couple weeks. Ice for pain, apply heat and stretch like a MOFO before doing anything mildly physical.

Sometimes just mowing the lawn and walking the dogs, bringin in Groceries is a challenge for me nowadays.

Read this on how not to do it. I respect the man and the mission. But Damn!

0a494a0ae4543a4dcc539f87e9194af1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT