ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Legit problem

Yup, school just needs to follow through with the guidelines it has in place. More than a little presumptuous to think this lady that had 3 jobs is the only problem here and that she wasn't doing anything about it. More than 1/2 the kids were bombing, that screams institutional problems. I'm not giving any one of these parents a pass, but this notion that it is entirely on the parent is entirely misguided.

It is on the student, entirely.

Most prosecutors in my area will not pursue a truancy charge unless the school can show documented proof of a multitude of efforts to intervene before hitting the 20 cumulative day truant mark. That kind of prosecution generally comes after families have displayed an unwillingness to work with the school.
Yes. And if schools made these efforts, maybe we don't have what we've got in Baltimore, that's kinda the point.

I think this is largely a social problem.

In Asia school is a big deal and thus the students, teachers, and parents put in a lot of work.

Here, it's not valued. Look at who our role models are... Kim Kardashion & Lil Wayne. Throw in any other of the current group of losers who influence kids today.

What's important in this society, is your social rank.. how cool you are.. how many followers on your instagram.. your leaked sex tape, etc

So unless one is willing to change the social fabric of the country, schools will keep having an uphill battle.

Where is the role model for good grades? There isn't one.

I think this is largely a social problem.

In Asia school is a big deal and thus the students, teachers, and parents put in a lot of work.

Here, it's not valued. Look at who our role models are... Kim Kardashion & Lil Wayne. Throw in any other of the current group of losers who influence kids today.

What's important in this society, is your social rank.. how cool you are.. how many followers on your instagram.. your leaked sex tape, etc

So unless one is willing to change the social fabric of the country, schools will keep having an uphill battle.

Where is the role model for good grades? There isn't one.

There is a lot of truth to your post, I would also add in parents. Parents need to be on their kids ass about it too.

Yes. And if schools made these efforts, maybe we don't have what we've got in Baltimore, that's kinda the point.
Even with these efforts, that are absolutely happening every day in the schools I've worked in, we still get similar issues of students failing, not attending, lack of parental involvement. Nothing to the level of that Baltimore school for sure...

Reactions: Lincoln100

Who doesnt think this is happening all over the US to some degree. It's a travesty. Fixing our education should be at the top of the list.

This is exactly what people in Baltimore want and voted for. I have no sympathy for them since they vote for Liberal Facist Democrats, what else do they expect.

Even with these efforts, that are absolutely happening every day in the schools I've worked in, we still get similar issues of students failing, not attending, lack of parental involvement. Nothing to the level of that Baltimore school for sure...

And face it, when a kid gets to HS, it is on them.

I have a buddy that teaches at a shitty school in Omaha.

Typical day

"Hey, come on, you have to do something, you can't just sit on bleachers and not do anything"

"What is your problem, why are you picking on me, **** this"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT