ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Legit problem

Lincoln100

Head Coach
Jun 16, 2010

Who doesnt think this is happening all over the US to some degree. It's a travesty. Fixing our education should be at the top of the list.

Who doesnt think this is happening all over the US to some degree. It's a travesty.
remote learning isn't learning

It's a family problem. Keep a family unit together and then Mom in this story isn't working three (I'm guessing menial) jobs while having no time for her kids.
Also from an educational standpoint it shows the dangers of charter schools. From the story it sounds like a charter school as they referred to the 17.9k per student they wanted to keep getting by cycling kids through.

Schools can't force kids to learn. Do the work. Don't blame everyone else. Societal issue right now. It's always someone else's fault.
Right, but are they notifying parents if a kid is ditching or tardy or failing? Why are schools moving kids along who are bombing classes

Who doesnt think this is happening all over the US to some degree. It's a travesty. Fixing our education should be at the top of the list.

Not in Nebraska. Our public schools score quite well in ratings and we are one of the few states that test everyone. Nebraska towns should be proud of their schools!!

Right, but are they notifying parents if a kid is ditching or tardy or failing? Why are schools moving kids along who are bombing classes
I know a parent who works with one of the OPS schools and their job back in the fall of 2020 was to contact all the parents whose kids hadn't logging into their remote classes at all or who weren't logging on often enough.

This individual said they had to contact some 600 parents. So the parents for this particular OPS school were contacted, but over 600 students were basically taking the semester off. That is insane.

• Sad
Reactions: OzzyLvr

Parents can let their kids move on if they are failing (NCLB and now ESSA), they just have to sign a waiver.

As far as not notifying? Well my guess is their grades and attendance are posted online, where the parent can check whenever they want.

Parents can let their kids move on if they are failing (NCLB and now ESSA), they just have to sign a waiver.

As far as not notifying? Well my guess is their grades and attendance are posted online, where the parent can check whenever they want.
Not good enough. Maybe they can, but schools should be required to reach out to parents to notify them under certain circumstances. And what about those african americans and hispanic americans who Biden said dont know how to google? What are they to do?

What the heck kind of name for a school is that anyway??

See if you can spot the issue here:

"In his four years at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Design, he passed three classes and earned a grade point average of 0.13. "

"France, a single mother of three working three jobs, says the school never told her that her son was failing until last month, when the 17-year-old was put back in ninth grade. "

"In his four years at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Design, he passed three classes and earned a grade point average of 0.13. "

"France, a single mother of three working three jobs, says the school never told her that her son was failing until last month, when the 17-year-old was put back in ninth grade. "
The school said they notified her

Reactions: Mack In Motion

In 4 years Mom never once checked on how her son was doing grade-wise in high school?

In 4 years Mom never once checked on how her son was doing grade-wise in high school?
We have a winner. Kid failed virtually every class over a span of 4 years. And, according to Mom, she never checked once or had any idea whatsoever. Not over a span of a 4 months. Over a span of 4 years.

You can make kids go to class up to a certain age.

You can put together any curriculum.

You can fire the administrators. Or shut down a school.

But you cannot force any parent or kid to see the value of an education.

Not good enough. Maybe they can, but schools should be required to reach out to parents to notify them under certain circumstances. And what about those african americans and hispanic americans who Biden said dont know how to google? What are they to do?

What circumstances would that be and what is considered "reaching out"?

I looked up this school and found this.

At Augusta Fells Savage Institute, we tap into students’ potential and help them succeed academically, artistically, socially, and emotionally. Our mission is to prepare 21st-century leaders and learners in an arts-focused learning community where student achievement is the priority.

It is listed under public schools with 419 students that are selected by lottery.

This is, unfortunately, not an isolated case. I looked at their school data and it is, as you would expect, horrible. They scored 31.4 out of 90 possible points and gained most of those by graduating kids. https://reportcard.msde.maryland.gov/Graphs/#/ReportCards/ReportCardSchool/1/H/1/30/0430/

Several years ago there was a study, I believe it was nationwide but don't quote me. Anyway, they analyzed school provided data and then asked parents what they thought of their local school system. Most parents thought the schools were great, had good teachers, etc and then were confronted with data that showed their beloved schools were actually failing. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence.

As bad as this is, you haven't seen the worst of it. It is only going to get worse. As someone said, just throw some more money at it and that will solve the problem. NOT

What circumstances would that be and what is considered "reaching out"?

Kids being truant or missing class too often within a certain period of time. Kid failing a class. Parent can choose their preferred method of notification by e-mail or text. Prosecutors in NE will file in juvenile court against a parent / guardian if a kid is truant too many times. School shouldn't sit back and say "not my concern, they aren't my kid," although from the looks of it, that seems to be the way it is heading. A minimal effort of sending e-mails / texts shouldn't be too much to ask to alert a parent.

Kids being truant or missing class too often within a certain period of time. Kid failing a class. Parent can choose their preferred method of notification by e-mail or text. Prosecutors in NE will file in juvenile court against a parent / guardian if a kid is truant too many times. School shouldn't sit back and say "not my concern, they aren't my kid," although from the looks of it, that seems to be the way it is heading. A minimal effort of sending e-mails / texts shouldn't be too much to ask to alert a parent.

How many emails? One?
Who makes the calls? The teacher? How many calls? Can they leave a voicemail? Can they text?

What if the number is no longer in service? What if the email bounces back?

Do you call every single day that the student has an F in your class? Or do you just call once?

Can the parent just choose to be updated by the schools grading system, which would send an email for every score entered and also tracks attendance or does it have to be a call/email from the teacher as well?

If the teacher is teaching 6 classes and has 5 kids in each class that either have an F or are truant that day, that makes for 30 phone calls, just for that day. How long should each call last or can the teacher just say "Hi, your son is failing my math class, goodbye"

Can the teacher cross the name off the list if they sent an email but got no reply or do they have keep sending emails?

Reactions: coach00036
200+ days tardy or absent is not a school problem...

Correct

And with zoom the old "my internet isn't working" is not a school problem.

The mom in that article was called, trust me. And she knew her kids grades or knew she could look them up.

Want to know who doesn't show up to PT conferences? The parents with kids that are skipping school and getting bad grades.

How many emails? One?
Who makes the calls? The teacher? How many calls? Can they leave a voicemail? Can they text?

What if the number is no longer in service? What if the email bounces back?

Do you call every single day that the student has an F in your class? Or do you just call once?

Can the parent just choose to be updated by the schools grading system, which would send an email for every score entered and also tracks attendance or does it have to be a call/email from the teacher as well?

If the teacher is teaching 6 classes and has 5 kids in each class that either have an F or are truant that day, that makes for 30 phone calls, just for that day. How long should each call last or can the teacher just say "Hi, your son is failing my math class, goodbye"

Can the teacher cross the name off the list if they sent an email but got no reply or do they have keep sending emails?

LPS has a policy in place that works pretty well. I think something similar could be implemented anywhere in the US.

Prosecutors in NE will file in juvenile court against a parent / guardian if a kid is truant too many times.
Most prosecutors in my area will not pursue a truancy charge unless the school can show documented proof of a multitude of efforts to intervene before hitting the 20 cumulative day truant mark. That kind of prosecution generally comes after families have displayed an unwillingness to work with the school.

LPS has a policy in place that works pretty well. I think something similar could be implemented anywhere in the US.

I think a super good policy would be that parents check in on their kids grades and attendance.

Look, it is hard to fail classes, you have to really try to fail. You almost have to want to fail to fail classes in school.

Most prosecutors in my area will not pursue a truancy charge unless the school can show documented proof of a multitude of efforts to intervene before hitting the 20 cumulative day truant mark. That kind of prosecution generally comes after families have displayed an unwillingness to work with the school.

I think I have only seen it once.

And I have friends that teach at shit schools and they also never see it.

Correct

And with zoom the old "my internet isn't working" is not a school problem.

The mom in that article was called, trust me. And she knew her kids grades or knew she could look them up.

Want to know who doesn't show up to PT conferences? The parents with kids that are skipping school and getting bad grades.
Yup, school just needs to follow through with the guidelines it has in place. More than a little presumptuous to think this lady that had 3 jobs is the only problem here and that she wasn't doing anything about it. More than 1/2 the kids were bombing, that screams institutional problems. I'm not giving any one of these parents a pass, but this notion that it is entirely on the parent is entirely misguided.

I think a super good policy would be that parents check in on their kids grades and attendance.

Look, it is hard to fail classes, you have to really try to fail. You almost have to want to fail to fail classes in school.
That's a great policy, so is the LPS policy, which I think addresses all of your questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT