ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joe Ricketts Causing Controversy in Small Wyoming Town

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Billionaire Joe Ricketts is trying to rename a small town in Wyoming where he plans to build a resort. The residents don't like it.

ARTICLE

Billionaire Joe Ricketts is trying to rename a small town in Wyoming where he plans to build a resort. The residents don't like it.

ARTICLE
Well that sucks. A billionaire buys everything as it comes up for sale and then wants to take on the role of baron while everyone else is a peasant. I don't blame the residents not letting themselves get pushed around.

I’m guessing all of their property taxes will be impacted in due time. Kind of a double FU.

Well that sucks. A billionaire buys everything as it comes up for sale and then wants to take on the role of baron while everyone else is a peasant. I don't blame the residents not letting themselves get pushed around.
You mean like the cattle barons who took over Wyoming once upon a time. Or the energy companies more recently. Things change.

Upon further review, the name comes from a ranch family that settled in that area. Kind of silly to try to change the name.

Upon further review, the name comes from a ranch family that settled in that area. Kind of silly to try to change the name.
Damn, I was hoping it was named after the bootlegging Bondurants. They would tell Joe Ricketts what to do with his name change!

images

Last edited:
You mean like the cattle barons who took over Wyoming once upon a time. Or the energy companies more recently. Things change.

I was thinking back to the feudal system of Middle Ages Europe but really any of those examples applies. Like him or not, it takes a special kind of person to buy up a bunch of property and then tell the locals what they should be calling themselves. A high degree of arrogance there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT