ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Japanese's highest ranking Dr. in their health ministry says:

I would likely have joined you for that drink IF I were 30 years younger. I appreciate your dedication to destroying the false sense of security wearing masks generates. That said, I'll still keep wearing mine in stores to prevent somebody from launching a virus filled goober at me with an ill timed sneeze. Even the CDC always adds "keep your distance" from other people when they encourage masks. Why is that? It's because masks alone are not nearly enough to stop spread.

But, Dingle, wearing a mask doesn't protect you. It only protects others. Did you miss that?

about a week ago and even prior to that bloomberg reported a huge outbreak in japan. they didnt report the numbers so i went and looked it up. turns out it was a little over 500. wow what an outbreak. curiosity enticed me to look up what they were treating wuhan flu with. numerous antivirals, some steroids, and good old friend hydroxychloroquine (has to be given early).
as far as vacines i would be a little hesitant about the two mrna vacines at least until time has proven no untoward problems with them. in the realm of human vacines this method is new and longterm safety has not been established in humankind.
the astra zenica vacine is more along the line of traditional vacines and may provide much longer coverage at much less cost. it should be ready to go soon once they figure out the correct dose. there are others coming down the line also.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I'm over it. Trump is an idiot and hamstrung himself and conservatives, by tweeting like a teenage girl and his inability to be circumspect or civil.

This is Bidens mess to deal with now. I'm not hopeful. I'm confident ya'll will **** it up more.
I'm not in charge of anything relating to Covid, so you don't have to worry about my heavy hand. Who knows how they'll do? I'm sure that many on the right will find fault no matter what happens. I think the main thing facing Biden is vaccine distribution. If nothing else, it'd be nice to see a well coordinated effort to get the vaccine out as quickly as possible.

I'm not in charge of anything relating to Covid, so you don't have to worry about my heavy hand. Who knows how they'll do? I'm sure that many on the right will find fault no matter what happens. I think the main thing facing Biden is vaccine distribution. If nothing else, it'd be nice to see a well coordinated effort to get the vaccine out as quickly as possible.

I agree.

I wonder where they learned that?
I'm sure we can chase our tails on this all day long, but if we're being fair, the Republicans, led by John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, decided they were going to block absolutely everything Obama proposed. EVERYTHING, right down to the most basic aspects of government. If I had to point to a specific movement I would say the rise of the Tea Party precipitated our present no compromise state of politics. I have no doubt that many on here would argue that zero sum is the way of the world, but when you're in the minority perspectives sure change. Bottom line, politics are ugly, and always have been ugly. But there was a period when bi-partisan politics were a thing, our government was designed on compromise.

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC

All that has been set up even before the election.

All that has been set up even before the election.
None of us are truly privy to what has and hasn't been set up, to what is and isn't being done. But it sure doesn't stop us from putting all of our trust in some and giving none of it to others.

I'm sure we can chase our tails on this all day long, but if we're being fair, the Republicans, led by John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, decided they were going to block absolutely everything Obama proposed. EVERYTHING, right down to the most basic aspects of government. If I had to point to a specific movement I would say the rise of the Tea Party precipitated our present no compromise state of politics. I have no doubt that many on here would argue that zero sum is the way of the world, but when you're in the minority perspectives sure change. Bottom line, politics are ugly, and always have been ugly. But there was a period when bi-partisan politics were a thing, our government was designed on compromise.

Like a moth to a flame.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
None of us are truly privy to what has and hasn't been set up, to what is and isn't being done. But it sure doesn't stop us from putting all of our trust in some and giving none of it to others.

I wonder how they did a 60 minutes special with the General in charge of distribution then? You usually put out some retarded shit, but this is a special level of stupid. Millions of doses of vaccine are going to somehow magically appear within hours of approval and you'll be scratching your head at how they did it.

I wonder how they did a 60 minutes special with the General in charge of distribution then? You usually put out some retarded shit, but this is a special level of stupid. Millions of doses of vaccine are going to somehow magically appear within hours of approval and you'll be scratching your head at how they did it.
You are such a douche, you know that, right? It's fairly easy to gauge the intelligence of a person from the quality of their writing. Do you see where I'm going with this? Of course you don't.

You are such a douche, you know that, right? It's fairly easy to gauge the intelligence of a person from the quality of their writing. Do you see where I'm going with this? Of course you don't.

Let us know when you figure it out.

Personally, if getting it gives immunity, I hope I get it
Its not so bad, I've had it twice.... they were 8 months apart..... not sure Vaccine is going to be what everyone hopes. Viruses mutate rapidly. I was told my whole life that you can't vaccinate for a cold (coronavirus) then suddenly we can.... Nobody even questions it..... best advice, stop reading things about it. They really don't know shit, and what is known is covered in bullshit so thick you can't ge through all of it to get real facts.

I would likely have joined you for that drink IF I were 30 years younger. I appreciate your dedication to destroying the false sense of security wearing masks generates. That said, I'll still keep wearing mine in stores to prevent somebody from launching a virus filled goober at me with an ill timed sneeze. Even the CDC always adds "keep your distance" from other people when they encourage masks. Why is that? It's because masks alone are not nearly enough to stop spread.
So here is a question. We live in Seattle masks have been mandatory virtually everywhere for some time. Go anywhere and 99% of people are masked and actually wearing them and people are distancing yet cases are still spiking. We were talking tonight with family and this year no one has the flu, nobody has gotten a cold. So it appears distancing and masks work for these viruses but not Covid I wonder why that is.

florida just raided the home of someone who had their own dashboard for covid-19 - what were they afraid of?

the truth...?

My wife did as well, about 3 months back. We (me, her, and my 3 year old son) all had typical cold symptoms, maybe a little more cough than normal but thats about it. Mine started out with a sore throat, none of us ever had a fever.

My son tested negative, I never got tested because I had to quarantine either way. Being 3, though, they'd barely gotten the swab in his nose so I'm guessing they didn't get a quality sample.

My wife and I sent saliva and blood in for an antibody test, a coworker of mine's cousin works for a biotech firm in Maryland so they wanted some samples to add to their data. We both came back positive for antibodies so whether I had it then or asymptomatically at some point, I've definitely had it.

My wife ended up getting it at a wedding we attended along with a lot of other guests. We never isolated from each other no the kids as its hard with a baby, toddler, and an 8 year old. None of the rest of us got it to our knowledge I tested negative and I have since given blood and had it come back negative for antibodies. Thought maybe it was possible the wife had a false negative but she had every symptom and still cant really smell and taste is bugged since the middle of September. One of her friends from the wedding also tested positive and her daughter and she has apparently tested negative for the antibodies since, and they both got it in September. It's such a weird virus. It appears it's going to claim both my grandparents close to or in their 90's. Grandma last week and they said grandpa will probably never leave the hospital. In my opinion its not really fair to an accurate count that my grandma is listed as a covid death though.

Its not so bad, I've had it twice.... they were 8 months apart..... not sure Vaccine is going to be what everyone hopes. Viruses mutate rapidly. I was told my whole life that you can't vaccinate for a cold (coronavirus) then suddenly we can.... Nobody even questions it..... best advice, stop reading things about it. They really don't know shit, and what is known is covered in bullshit so thick you can't ge through all of it to get real facts.
I hear you on the cold/virus. I didn't realize you could get it more than once either. Thanks for your input and glad you rebounded well.

The actual start of the tea party was centered around stopping wall street looting and starting prosecuting. Neither of which happened under the one president that could have done it.

It morphed due to the Koch brothers but the original impetus was a libertarian one, not conservative or republican. Occupy wall st came soon after with a far left bent.

Obama? Threw zero bankers in prison.

Point with the history lesson? Blaming the tea party is asinine to an extent and the hyper partisan stuff goes way further back. Tip O'Neil and Reagan say hello.

I hear you on the cold/virus. I didn't realize you could get it more than once either. Thanks for your input and glad you rebounded well.
I'm not alone in the group who has had it twice. My wife works directly with covid patients daily for 12 months. We weren't surprised when we got it the first time. The second was surprising but more nild. Body aches worse symptom I experienced.

Reactions: huskerfan66
That's the attitude I'm seeing now, that trade off of "I have some cloth on my face so nothing matters any more." Masks HELP, they're not magic. And you can't go anywhere without seeing ol' Off-the-nose-Charlie with his giant schnoz hanging out shopping along and touching stuff.

I've been using KN95s since March, as far as I know I haven't caught it but who knows.

We're at about 3,000 deaths a day and people still really don't see the issue with sitting in an airplane full of strangers or dining indoors and the pulling a mask on only when a waiter walks up. That's not how any of this works.

Our CEO has it, he was in the ER for pneumonia symptoms. Our last staff meeting a few weeks back he had everyone who was in-office that day but two of us sitting in the conference room with no masks. You know, because they weren't sitting very close together. I stayed in my office with the door shut and did the meeting on Zoom.

Mind you our jobs are not essential by any means. Everyone but about two people can do all their work remotely. But he has us coming in because that's what he thinks work should look like.

The vaccine is our only hope, and the more places that make it mandatory the better. We've seen that 2-3 hundred thousand deaths doesn't even come between some people and a cheeseburger.
Interestingly the CDC now says that the cheapy blue "surgical" masks that stores are selling are more effective than the KN95 masks at stopping viral particles from passing. Is that true or is that more misdirection? Who knows. It's a sad deal when a government agency has become so politicized that we can't trust what they're telling us.....mmm maybe we should understand that is true with all government agencies.

The good news as far as people who won't get vaccinated goes is is that more than likely they will get exposed naturally and IF IF IF the immunity generated is long lasting enough from that, a population immunity MIGHT wipe this thing out permanently. We can only hope.

DeSantis is the man. Him Abbott and Noem are my early picks for 2024
The "mainstream" media as well as the left are already running ads and flooding twitter with negative ads and posts attacking those people. I get pop ups attacking Noem on my computer and stories on my Yahoo home page almost every day I suppose because of my proximity to South Dakota. I get South Dakota TV stations at home and nationally what people fail to realize is that South Dakota following all of the CDC guidelines are far as business and school openings go. The governor also had ZERO power to stop the Sturgis motorcycle rally OR to enforce a mask mandate. She would have been driven out of office IF she had tried to institute a mask mandate. Unlike some leftist states in this country, South Dakota actually follows their constitution.

Uncertain if it works like that and I think even you have your doubts.

Distance would be common sense, but if so it's surprising so many nursing home and prison populations have had such high transmission.

I don't have all the answers. But I have a strong sense we're being fed a lot of garbage.

We're 10+ months into 2 weeks to flatten the curve and less than 5% of the population has tested positive using a test that is undoubtedly finding tons of false positives. And the cycle threshold is being run at such a high rate the results are useless unless a person has symptoms which are pretty much everything. On top of that the avg age of death is 82. Life expectancy is 78. The US is testing more than any other country and using these fraudulent methods are finding more "cases" than anyone else. We keep defending failed models that proven wrong in less than a week time after time.

The propaganda, failed policies, and desire to be victims and saviors have created their own pandemics which some govts have only been too happy grant themselves unchecked emergency powers to attempt to push some great reset.

We are living a combination of Animal Farm and 1984 and it's insanity.
What my internist friend says about nursing homes is that they aren't getting patient to patient transmission as far as they can tell in our local nursing home. What they're seeing is a young staff member come in who is asymptomatic and then they proceed to give it to most of the patients they care for.

As far as prisons go, I've been inside prisons. You aren't going to tell most inmates to keep their distance OR wear a mask. Won't happen. Those guys live in extremely tight quarters with shared air handling systems. The interesting thing to me is how extremely low the death rate is given the age of some of the prisoners and the stressful living conditions. Most prisons systems months ago had total infection rates far over 50%. South Dakota actually paroled a lifer in his 80s for "humane" reasons. He's had multiple chronic disease processes for years but had recently survived COVID. He was too old and sick to be a danger to anybody outside and the cost of his medical care was unbelievable so they released him to his family.....yet he survived COVID.

So here is a question. We live in Seattle masks have been mandatory virtually everywhere for some time. Go anywhere and 99% of people are masked and actually wearing them and people are distancing yet cases are still spiking. We were talking tonight with family and this year no one has the flu, nobody has gotten a cold. So it appears distancing and masks work for these viruses but not Covid I wonder why that is.
We're still very early in the cold and flu seasons coupled with the fact that most people have some degree of immunity to influenza.

I highly doubt that you "had it twice". The cases in Korea and the U.S. so far are showing that testing errors and false positives are to blame for virtually all "repeat infections". The odds of becoming clinically ill twice with this thing are roughly one in a million. One state lab supposedly had a run of over 40 "repeat infections", until they analyzed samples and realized they were getting false positives likely due to cross reaction with Corona Virus colds.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Amazing all of the matter-of-fact knowledge about Covid on this thread by non medical people. Will most recover - absolutely. Some may never realize symptoms.

So why is a such a big deal ? Simple: our hospital-medical personnel in many of our bigger cities are close to capacity and overload. I have relatives, loved ones, and friends working at hospitals in Chicago and Columbus - the 2 largest cities in the Midwest - that are totally stressed and worn out with caring for people with Covid. They'll be overloaded and will have to choose who to care for in the very near future if it doesn't slow down in the next few weeks - sort of like the horror stories we saw out of Italy when this stuff started. Nothing like the damn flu.

Do I like wearing a mask ? No, but I will to protect myself and loved ones. Are masks a 100% guarantee. Of course not but they do slow down the spray a ton. Why not wear one until a vaccine gets here ? I'll tell you why: some people will not change their views and ways even when they know they're wrong. It comes down to dumbasses saying / thinking you can't tell me what to do - it's my right to not wear a mask as an American even if it does mean increasing the odds of increasing people around me. Yet, if they come down with severe Covid, they'll be the first one at hospital emergency room demanding care while probably shutting someone else out with a less severe ailment in the very near future. God Bless America !

Reactions: jmliehr
My wife ended up getting it at a wedding we attended along with a lot of other guests. We never isolated from each other no the kids as its hard with a baby, toddler, and an 8 year old. None of the rest of us got it to our knowledge I tested negative and I have since given blood and had it come back negative for antibodies. Thought maybe it was possible the wife had a false negative but she had every symptom and still cant really smell and taste is bugged since the middle of September. One of her friends from the wedding also tested positive and her daughter and she has apparently tested negative for the antibodies since, and they both got it in September. It's such a weird virus. It appears it's going to claim both my grandparents close to or in their 90's. Grandma last week and they said grandpa will probably never leave the hospital. In my opinion its not really fair to an accurate count that my grandma is listed as a covid death though.
Kerpal, sorry to hear about your grandparents.

Reactions: kerpal_68
What my internist friend says about nursing homes is that they aren't getting patient to patient transmission as far as they can tell in our local nursing home. What they're seeing is a young staff member come in who is asymptomatic and then they proceed to give it to most of the patients they care for.

This is code for they don't have a freaking clue.

If their asymptomatic how did they know they have it? And how did they know they were the 1st one to have it? They don't know.

Sorry to hear that. I have lost four family members this year, two to COVID and two to cancer. The two that died of COVID were on my Dad's side and they both passed in October, 5 days apart. As one can imagine it's been quite a blow to my Dad. They were in their 70's, the oldest of 8 kids, both had some health issues. I lost my uncle Mike to cancer and my Aunt's husband to cancer as well. I have not had COVID but my older brother, his wife, and their daughter have had it. My brother described the symptoms as very mild in comparison to the flu he had last year. They were in town to visit and did not know at that time they were positive. We went out to eat with them twice...go figure?

Reactions: kerpal_68

Or it's all covid. I know 3 people who had colds and freaked out and got tested and it came back negative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT