ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Internet will shut off once a day. Why?

Dreinhart

Aug 25, 2019
I’ve talked to our cable provider. They have said the connection is fine and of course works perfect when they are here. Any suggestions or anyone able to point me in the right direction? TIA

My guess is your WiFi router needs replacing. I used to own LinkSys products back in the day, and they were known for that. I got tired of re-booting the dang thing once a day and finally broke down and got a new one.

The good news in that scenario is ... it's the holiday shopping time of the year and there are some very good deals on the newer WiFi 6 mesh router systems. Pick one and enjoy the faster, more reliable speeds.

I’ve talked to our cable provider. They have said the connection is fine and of course works perfect when they are here. Any suggestions or anyone able to point me in the right direction? TIA

It's the Facebook

If the cable provider is dependable and nobody else with their service is complaining then it's usually the router that needs to be rebooted (or replaced if you get tired or rebooting all the time).

It's usually the router. I've had 3 fail within 2 years. Now, I always buy the extended warranty. Usually I am not a fan of them, but they've cut me 2 checks because I expect them to not last beyond the manufacturer's warranty.

EDIT - I've had 3 fail, each in under 2 years. The fail was close to the 2 year mark. They're not something I expect to last for an extended amount of time.

Last edited:
Modem or router setup is a common culprit. I currently use an Arris modem and a Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router and very rarely have to reset them. Upstairs however I have an older Netgear wifi router as an extra access point and the thing is incredibly fussy.

Chance you could have a lot of devices bumping each other off a certain IP range.

For extra ethernet lines I just have some cheap little 5-port LAN switches.

Your mom is running the microwave upstairs. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Agree with above. Using WiFi vs direct ethernet for your connection matter?

I'm technically inclined but I've gone the Unifi Security Gateway and Unifi access point route for my mother.

I had a similar setup except I built my own Open BSD router out of an old pc. I replaced that a week ago with a Unifi Dream Machine all in one.

Seems to me most routers under a hundred bucks are junk and folks are buying essentially riced up "gaming routers" for $400 when you can buy something that will last quite a long time for that kind of money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT