ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In retrospect, the biggest Covid head-scratcher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneHickey

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 3, 2004
For me, will be these three (well...among many others):

1. Adults, with no evidence that cloth face coverings do appreciable good, putting that burden on small children.
2. Empty college stadiums, leading to empty athletic dept banking accounts.
3. Almost no mention of the likely similar/superior aspects of natural immunity (from infection) vs vaccine...gotta get the $hot, folk$!!! E$pecially the kid$!!!

1. Adults, with no evidence that cloth face coverings do appreciable good, putting that burden on small children.
3. Almost no mention of the likely similar/superior aspects of natural immunity (from infection) vs vaccine...gotta get the $hot, folk$!!! E$pecially the kid$!!!
There is no evidence that I'm aware of that natural immunity is longer lasting than vaccinal immunity. On the other hand, even IF you're young but over 30 and healthy the risk of having complications from infection with COVID are still in the neighborhood of 5000x greater. One of the potential side effects from COVID in younger people includes chronic asthma. You don't want it. I've dealt with asthma now for about 25 years after having a nasty bout of influenza. Yeah I wasn't getting a flu shot back then. Now I use a steroid inhaler daily and periodically get to take Prednisone for bronchitis. In younger patients, long term cardiac damage can occur from viruses such as influenza and COVID. Myocarditis does happen although I believe it's fairly rare in people in the 20-30 age group.

Comedy

More and more research will come out showing how shutting kids out of school for a year disproportionately affected minority communities, the poor, and children with disabilities. Childhood suicide attempts up 200% in Canada. The lockdowns and quarantines were a travesty and it affected millions of peoples lives.

More and more research will come out showing how shutting kids out of school for a year disproportionately affected minority communities, the poor, and children with disabilities. Childhood suicide attempts up 200% in Canada. The lockdowns and quarantines were a travesty and it affected millions of peoples lives.
The teen suicide rate and overall drug overdose rate was way up in the U.S as well. South Dakota schools stayed wide open for the whole year. They played all sports all year. I asked somebody from Yankton the other day if they had any issues with teachers becoming seriously ill and they said no.

I don't know about 200 million but when they went in and did extensive testing in a given area they were finding antibody rates pretty routinely at 4 times the rate they expected.
I think it is going to end up being crazy high, I really do. But I am also wrong a lot, so, keep that in mind.

I think it is going to end up being crazy high, I really do. But I am also wrong a lot, so, keep that in mind.
I'm not sure how they'll come up with many more numbers than they already have. The antibodies from infection peter out below detectable levels fairly quickly so any antibody surveys they were going to do are probably pretty well done. That doesn't mean that your immunity peters out quickly, just the circulating antibodies. I suspect cell mediated immunity will give us at least a year of protection.

Well to be fair, we were dealing with something we haven't seen since the Spanish Flu outbreak decades ago. People were dropping like moths hitting a bug zapper. What was really insane though was some of the messaging we got from Fauci
Yeah... the early images leaked from China were unsettling, but really early data from NYC made it clear that young people had nothing to fear. At all. Schools masked them all up, to protect Grandma and Grandpa...who were not at school. If the cloth coverings worked, have one ready in the car, for the ride to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Or...elderly or at-rism teacher could wear one and stay distanced from the sneezers.

IMO, what we SHOULD be doing is encouraging vaccinated people to ditch the masks. The more this thing circulates in our vaccinated population it increases the population immunity for the long term. We are NOT going to be able to mask and vaccinate this thing completely out of existence. We need people to continue to get exposed IMO. My spouse disagrees with me on that, but she hasn't worked with epidemiology like I have. The fastest way to a population immunity is to get everybody exposed as closely to the same time as we can.

Yeah... the early images leaked from China were unsettling, but really early data from NYC made it clear that young people had nothing to fear. At all. Schools masked them all up, to protect Grandma and Grandpa...who were not at school. If the cloth coverings worked, have one ready in the car, for the ride to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Or...elderly or at-rism teacher could wear one and stay distanced from the sneezers.
New York was a study in how NOT to do things from the start. Cuomo's nursing home policy killed tens of thousands of people. I said on virtually day one that we needed to shut down ALL public transit and cruise lines until we had a handle on it. That included air travel. Instead New York left their subways open through the entire thing.

IMO, what we SHOULD be doing is encouraging vaccinated people to ditch the masks. The more this thing circulates in our vaccinated population it increases the population immunity for the long term. We are NOT going to be able to mask and vaccinate this thing completely out of existence. We need people to continue to get exposed IMO. My spouse disagrees with me on that, but she hasn't worked with epidemiology like I have. The fastest way to a population immunity is to get everybody exposed as closely to the same time as we can.

I never wore one to begin with, except where required. Never at home, outside, driving, work, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT