ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If you were the Nebraska recruiting coordinator, what's your strategy?

Oct 7, 2012
Peak offseason sh1t post here... With all the Florida defections & now the 1 time transfer rule passing, just curious what everyone's opinions are on this.

Bo really recruited Texas, Riley tried for the Calibraska movement, and Frost really went in on Florida. Whether it's fading national brand, bad recruiting/coaching, or just the nature of CFB today, none of those areas have been particularly fruitful for us post 2010. What's your strategy, areas you'd focus on?

1. Lock down Nebraska. Frost has done a good job of this. [Take 2-3 / year]
2. Kansas City, KS/MO. We need to hit the KC & surrounding suburbs much harder IMO. Roughly the same population as all of Nebraska, short commute, produces some good talent. Also, give it up on St. Louis. It aint working. [ 2-3 / year]
3. Eastern Iowa to Des Moines. Treat this like Omaha 2.0. Only an hour longer from Des Moines to Lincoln compared to Iowa City. [1-2 / year]
4. Colorado front range. Denver, Ft. Collins, Springs. Feel like this is an essential area for us. [3-4 / year]
5. Dakotas. We have a pretty good pipeline here. [1-2 / year]

I really think we need to take at least half our class from these 5 every year. Make this our "in-state" recruiting base for high school kids. Culture shock is a very real thing for the 18 year olds coming from the coasts. I don't consider this a character thing, people just want to live in a place they are comfortable with. Most transfers happen within the freshmen & sophomore years. Minimize it by recruiting kids familiar with the Midwest.

Without stereotyping too much, HCSF is going to need more speed than what those areas can bring to run this offense. For the 2nd half of the class, I'd try to focus on...

1. JUCOS. Risky but necessary at Nebraska. I remember reading an article from one of the JUCO corners we signed several years back and essentially he said JUCO gives time for them to be 18-20 & immature before realizing they need to prioritize before reaching their goals. Nebraska becomes a much more desirable place after that realization. I tend to agree with that.
2. Northeast (Love the Dawson hire for this reason). B1G only presence here.
3. Arizona
4. GA/ AL. The last 2 I chose solely because we have had luck there in the past.

I know... TLDR.

Lots and lots of bags
Many programs seem to go for a single year of cash payments to get momentum in recruiting and then stop the practice. For all we know, Frosty did that last year and still lost them all back to Miami.

I think like you said, we have to lock down the Nebraska kids and then try to get the top kids within the 500 mile radius... I still think you have to hit Florida, Cali, Texas, and GA... we’ve also had luck in Bama, and Arizona so I’d look at those states hard. I’m sure a lot of people have a bitter taste from those FL kids leaving but speed comes out of that state like crazy

I think like you said, we have to lock down the Nebraska kids and then try to get the top kids within the 500 mile radius... I still think you have to hit Florida, Cali, Texas, and GA... we’ve also had luck in Bama, and Arizona so I’d look at those states hard. I’m sure a lot of people have a bitter taste from those FL kids leaving but speed comes out of that state like crazy

We have lost so many of our olb to Wisconsin. The Husker need to win in the west. That's the most important step.

St. Louis has some real athletes and Nebraska hasn't pulled a kid from there since Tre Bryant. Got to start getting something from there.

Truly lock down the state. Nebraska lost Williams in '18, Watts last year, and is losing Dickerson (probably) and Johnson this year. All four of those kids could contribute here.

Don't give up on Florida. Delancey and Fleming are recruits with attributes Nebraska isn't pulling from in-state. Losing Greene, Francois, and Gray still sucks, but if Nebraska hits on 40% of the kids from any state it's going to be a massive success.

Recruit body types and develop skills. It's worked well for recruiting challenged schools like NDSU and Boise State over the years and Nebraska will have better, more talented starting body types and skill sets to choose from. It's clear this is a big part of Frost's plan and it's something Nick Saban has mentioned numerous times....although it's much easier when every kid you're recruiting is a semester away from the NFL.

Reactions: Clemke32
1. Win games. It starts there to show we’re not a joke.
2. See if Dwayne Wade, Bud Crawford or whoever can come mentor some players.
3. Build the relationships. I’m not casting blame as much as reflecting on what players and staff can do to improve the family atmosphere and make sure every player feels psychologically taken care of.

There will always be attrition, but we can do better. It has to get better, and it starts on the field with W’s. It needs to start now.

One of the first things I would do is Ask Moos if we could make up a video film of the up and coming football facilities to show them ( recruits) what is in store for the near future..

I'd recruit players who want to put in the work to win, in everything they do

These posts about recruiting suggestions always make me think. How do we know the coaches aren't doing all of the things being suggested here? It always seems to be suggested that they aren't which is why we scramble in recruiting.

Winning is going to make a lot of this seem much easier. Back in the day when Tom walked into the home or school of a recruit it meant something. Frost needs to get to that point sooner rather than later.

St. Louis has some real athletes and Nebraska hasn't pulled a kid from there since Tre Bryant. Got to start getting something from there.

Truly lock down the state. Nebraska lost Williams in '18, Watts last year, and is losing Dickerson (probably) and Johnson this year. All four of those kids could contribute here.

Don't give up on Florida. Delancey and Fleming are recruits with attributes Nebraska isn't pulling from in-state. Losing Greene, Francois, and Gray still sucks, but if Nebraska hits on 40% of the kids from any state it's going to be a massive success.

Recruit body types and develop skills. It's worked well for recruiting challenged schools like NDSU and Boise State over the years and Nebraska will have better, more talented starting body types and skill sets to choose from. It's clear this is a big part of Frost's plan and it's something Nick Saban has mentioned numerous times....although it's much easier when every kid you're recruiting is a semester away from the NFL.

I see your point on Florida. Just frustrated with that territory right now.

To me, St. Louis just seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It may be "close" for us... But it's not for any kid fro STL. There are 16 more P5 schools closer to St. Louis than Lincoln. Pretty tough recruiting for a metro population of 2.8 mil.

Miles to...
1. Columbia, MO - Mizzou - 125
2. Champagne, IL - Illinois - 180
3. Bloomington, IN - Indiana - 225
4. Iowa City, IA - Iowa - 260
5. Louisville, KY - Louisville - 260
6. West Lafayette - Purdue - 272
7. Lawrence, KS - Kansas - 280
8. Chicago, IL - Northwestern - 297
9. Nashville, TN - Vanderbilt - 309
10. Lexington, KY - Kentucky - 337
11. Fayetteville, AR - Arkansas - 358
12. Madison, WI - Wisconsin - 360
13. Manhattan, KS - Kansas State - 367
14. Ames, IA - Iowa State - 370
15. South Bend, IN - Notre Dame - 374
16. Columbus, OH - Ohio St - 418
17. Lincoln, NE - Nebraska - 442

If I were recruiting coordinator I'd give all the top recruits secret bags of gifts, nice vehicles, and when they came on campus some "vitamins" to help improve performance. It'd be like a midwest Ole Miss.

I probably wouldn't last long but we'd probably get 1-2 top 5 classes!

I see your point on Florida. Just frustrated with that territory right now.

To me, St. Louis just seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It may be "close" for us... But it's not for any kid fro STL. There are 16 more P5 schools closer to St. Louis than Lincoln. Pretty tough recruiting for a metro population of 2.8 mil.

Miles to...
1. Columbia, MO - Mizzou - 125
2. Champagne, IL - Illinois - 180
3. Bloomington, IN - Indiana - 225
4. Iowa City, IA - Iowa - 260
5. Louisville, KY - Louisville - 260
6. West Lafayette - Purdue - 272
7. Lawrence, KS - Kansas - 280
8. Chicago, IL - Northwestern - 297
9. Nashville, TN - Vanderbilt - 309
10. Lexington, KY - Kentucky - 337
11. Fayetteville, AR - Arkansas - 358
12. Madison, WI - Wisconsin - 360
13. Manhattan, KS - Kansas State - 367
14. Ames, IA - Iowa State - 370
15. South Bend, IN - Notre Dame - 374
16. Columbus, OH - Ohio St - 418
17. Lincoln, NE - Nebraska - 442
I understand what you're saying because of the limited amount of time available for recruiting, but Nebraska can't surrender a state they share a border with altogether and if you're not recruiting St. Louis, you're basically surrendering Missouri.

How much of Missouri's top talent resides in St. Louis? Well, according to Rivals, players from St. Louis made up the following percentages of the top-10 players in Missouri over the last five years - this is strictly a player whose hometown is listed as St. Louis and doesn't include any suburb that may be considered St. Louis by locals (school attended or committed to in parenthesis):

60% in 2021 (aOSU, Mizzoux2, Louisville, Ball State)
70% in 2020 (Notre Dame, TAMU, Illinois, Minnesota, Arkansas, Arizona State, Mizzou)
90% in 2019 (Illinoisx3, aOSU, Texas, Mizzoux3, Notre Dame)
50% in 2018 (USC, OUx2, aOSUx2)
40% in 2017 (Illinoisx2, USD, Bowling Green)

This is the percentage of kids from the top-10 who were from St. Louis, but attended or are committed to a school not listed in the 17 from above:

17% in 2021
43% in 2020
11% in 2019
60% in 2018
50% in 2017

There's an obvious geographic advantage to recruiting, but St. Louis is not a pipeline for any school with the exceptions of Mizzou, Illinois, and Ohio State and in three of the last five years about half of the best from the town have went to schools you didn't list. Nebraska doesn't have to get all of the talent, but it would be nice if they at least got some of it because right now they're getting none of it.

I understand what you're saying because of the limited amount of time available for recruiting, but Nebraska can't surrender a state they share a border with altogether and if you're not recruiting St. Louis, you're basically surrendering Missouri.

How much of Missouri's top talent resides in St. Louis? Well, according to Rivals, players from St. Louis made up the following percentages of the top-10 players in Missouri over the last five years - this is strictly a player whose hometown is listed as St. Louis and doesn't include any suburb that may be considered St. Louis by locals (school attended or committed to in parenthesis):

60% in 2021 (aOSU, Mizzoux2, Louisville, Ball State)
70% in 2020 (Notre Dame, TAMU, Illinois, Minnesota, Arkansas, Arizona State, Mizzou)
90% in 2019 (Illinoisx3, aOSU, Texas, Mizzoux3, Notre Dame)
50% in 2018 (USC, OUx2, aOSUx2)
40% in 2017 (Illinoisx2, USD, Bowling Green)

This is the percentage of kids from the top-10 who were from St. Louis, but attended or are committed to a school not listed in the 17 from above:

17% in 2021
43% in 2020
11% in 2019
60% in 2018
50% in 2017

There's an obvious geographic advantage to recruiting, but St. Louis is not a pipeline for any school with the exceptions of Mizzou, Illinois, and Ohio State and in three of the last five years about half of the best from the town have went to schools you didn't list. Nebraska doesn't have to get all of the talent, but it would be nice if they at least got some of it because right now they're getting none of it.

Great stuff. Love seeing the numbers behind this type of thing. After you mentioned it I took a peek at that 2019 class and 11 of the top 12 were STL guys. Pretty astounding... You may have changed my tune here.

It felt like we had some momentum in MO during Riley's last year before the wheels fell off. We were in on Trevor Trout, Mario Goodrich, Michael Thompson, Ronnie Perkins, Kamryn Babb, Daniel Carson, Cameron Brown... Then struck out on all of them.

It's makes sense to be strategic within the 500 mile radius. Decide on and build relationships with the schools and school districts that put out talent. Chicago, Denver, St Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Omaha. Really pay attention to the 2-3 outliers in less populated areas and get them to camps and on campus. Then, compete hard in Florida, Arizona and Georgia for elite skill players.

Reactions: v1nufan
Great stuff. Love seeing the numbers behind this type of thing. After you mentioned it I took a peek at that 2019 class and 11 of the top 12 were STL guys. Pretty astounding... You may have changed my tune here.

It felt like we had some momentum in MO during Riley's last year before the wheels fell off. We were in on Trevor Trout, Mario Goodrich, Michael Thompson, Ronnie Perkins, Kamryn Babb, Daniel Carson, Cameron Brown... Then struck out on all of them.
Great stuff on your part as well - thanks for starting the thread.

St. Louis and Denver are the two most intriguing cities for me in the 500-mile radius and they're basically 1000 miles apart. Nebraska pulls nobody from St. Louis, but is a major player in the Denver area.

I would like to say I don't know why it's so different, but you pointed it out, it's because of the 16 schools (particularly Ohio State, Notre Dame, Mizzou, and Illinois, plus Clemson in Missouri as a whole) you listed having a greater presence in St. Louis than in Denver.

I guarantee you Mizzou's new coach is going full "State of St. Louis" ala Howard Schnellenberger and his "State of Miami" at the U in the early 80s, too.

The Rivals 2022 Missouri Top-15 has 9 kids from St. Louis, but I don't know how Nebraska breaks through there. It's likely going to take them reaching on a lower tier guy and having him hit huge before they really reestablish in St. Louis and the frustrating thing is that Tre Bryant, a 5.6 3*, was the guy to do it before Riley broke him.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerMania257460
I like his strategy of going after 6'5" or taller linemen.

I would like him to recruit bigger runingbacks.. 6 foot to 6'2 all purpose guys.. even some bruisers.
Scat backs might get you a pop here and there, but durability wise and strength wise, they won't wear anyone out.

Receivers, tall guys who can block as well as they catch

Lock down the 500 mile radius

Pick up the top gems you can at other skill positions, wherever they are from.. New Jersey to San Diego.

Make the offense Large.

Make the defense fast.

seems like old school Nebraska to me.

Boy it seems like if there was a way to get a St Louis local on our staff that we could relly tap into a new market. But W’s will also open the doors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT