ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I still can't smell

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
As many of you know, I have lost most of my sense of smell to COVID-19. They say this is normal. Well, normal for those of us with mild cases. 86% of those with mild cases had this condition, as opposed to 4-7% with those with moderate to severe cases. The average time for smell sense recovery is 21.6 days. A quarter of those who lose their sense of smell don't recover within 6 months. Yikes! I hope I'm in the three week group.

Wish I was optimistic for you....25 weeks now for my wife...so frustrating.....

Sounds like serious sinus inflammation/infection. Maybe try something with ephedrine, albeit sucky side effects or have your doctor give you some strong anti bacterial or parasite drugs, see if that works.

As many of you know, I have lost most of my sense of smell to COVID-19. They say this is normal. Well, normal for those of us with mild cases. 86% of those with mild cases had this condition, as opposed to 4-7% with those with moderate to severe cases. The average time for smell sense recovery is 21.6 days. A quarter of those who lose their sense of smell don't recover within 6 months. Yikes! I hope I'm in the three week group.

My mother had a brain tumor operation and she lost her sense of smell. I am not sure if it was the operation or chemo treatments. Anyways a few months after the operation, her sister stopped in to check on her. Mom had just made cinammon toast for a light snack. When she answered the door and saw her sister she exclaimed, I smell! Her sister told her to take a shower.

My mom loved that memory. She was very excited to get that sense back and the misunderstanding made her laugh.

I hope you get it back soon.

Glad to hear you're doing okay other than the smell. BTW, I've heard from people around you that you smell plenty.....😁

Like they say, no worries until yournose is running and your feet are smelling, take care

Reactions: bigboxes

Hope it comes back, and hope you're doing well considering the difficult year + it has been.

Sounds like serious sinus inflammation/infection. Maybe try something with ephedrine, albeit sucky side effects or have your doctor give you some strong anti bacterial or parasite drugs, see if that works.
I don't think the loss of smell with Covid is inflammation or infection related. At at least from what I have read and experienced, I wasn't congested at all while I still had a loss of smell. It has more to do with the virus attacking cells that aid the olfactory cells. Or something like that.

Either way, hope Boxes gets his smell back soon. It gets to be an annoyance over time.

Boxes, I tested positive roughly around the same time you did. My smell/taste disappeared around a week in, and have yet to come back fully. I do think it’s getting close though, as I definitely have certain sensations with sweet/salty/etc. I will say that whiskey was a lot easier to drink with no taste, not that I had a problem before. Hang in there

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
My kid lost his sense of taste, then regained it for a short period, then lost it again.I think he’s good now. But it did go on for awhile.

My wife got covid in the middle of September and she still can't smell.

My kid lost his sense of taste, then regained it for a short period, then lost it again.I think he’s good now. But it did go on for awhile.
That is exactly what my son is going through now. He got COVID in mid-October. Lost his taste from November to Christmas, gained it back completely for three weeks and now has only slight sense of taste since mid-January. Scary. I keep praying that it will come back soon.

Boxes I’ll call you then next time our dog gets sprayed by a skunk, you can give him a bath and it won’t bother you. The last time he took a point blank hit the smell was so bad I just about barfed

Had it in July. Smell is slowly coming back but no where near 100%. I honestly don’t care very much if it gets back to normal.

I will say,,,, my wife has consumed candied ginger, hot sauce, smelled hand sanitizer up close and nothing has worked 🤭😪

I can smell a little. It's quite faint. My taste has improved. Made some meatballs today. Meatballs were awesome. Bread was great. I could taste the sauce.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT