ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I can't smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got it I had a fever for 11 days, breathing was an issue the last 4 or 5 days... once the fever broke, the breathing improved quickly. Smell was gone for a few weeks, then returned, although I’m not sure it is completely back.

Take care of yourself boxes, the second half for me was the worst. Hopefully yours won’t be.
Day 7 is normally the day when patients crash if they're going to from COVID. You can almost set your clock by it. That certainly fits with your breathing problems starting about day 7.

Reactions: timnsun
Yup. I tested positive for COVID-19. I felt fatigued Monday morning. I thought I would just brush it off and headed off to work. As the morning progressed, so did my symptoms. I developed mild chills and aches in my hands, elbows and (most noticeably) my knees. About halfway through my work day, I decided to go see my doctor. I go to the VA Outpatient Clinic. Of course, it was MLK day and everyone was home and not answering the phone.

My only other option was to drive to the Dallas VA Medical Center in south Dallas and visit the ER. After a small wait, the nurse jammed the swab super far back in my nose to get a "proper sample". Said I they would call me with the results by 9am on Wednesday. Until then, I had to self-isolate.

No problem. I was feeling pretty good. The fatigue and aches were lighter. My eyes no longer hurt to move them from side to side. I figured that this was just something else and not the dreaded COVID-19.

They didn't call me at the scheduled time. I waited 30 minutes to make sure. Then I contacted someone at the ER. I'm fully expecting them to say I was negative. WRONG! I was informed that had indeed tested positive.

Yesterday, I realized that I could not really smell much of anything. Of course, that affects your taste. Great. Anyone know how long (on average) until I get my sense of smell (and taste) back? Sucks to be off from work and not able to enjoy food.
Hope you have somebody checking in on you a couple of times a day. I've heard some horror stories where people develop CNS symptoms and wouldn't have been able to call 911 even to get help. That's rare but it has happened. Get well soon. Day 7 is the day things go bad normally IF they're going to go bad. If you get past day 7 and are doing well, you should be fine.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Hope you have somebody checking in on you a couple of times a day. I've heard some horror stories where people develop CNS symptoms and wouldn't have been able to call 911 even to get help. That's rare but it has happened. Get well soon. Day 7 is the day things go bad normally IF they're going to go bad. If you get past day 7 and are doing well, you should be fine.

You're not making me feel any better.
RsysLAR.gif

Yup. I tested positive for COVID-19. I felt fatigued Monday morning. I thought I would just brush it off and headed off to work. As the morning progressed, so did my symptoms. I developed mild chills and aches in my hands, elbows and (most noticeably) my knees. About halfway through my work day, I decided to go see my doctor. I go to the VA Outpatient Clinic. Of course, it was MLK day and everyone was home and not answering the phone.

My only other option was to drive to the Dallas VA Medical Center in south Dallas and visit the ER. After a small wait, the nurse jammed the swab super far back in my nose to get a "proper sample". Said I they would call me with the results by 9am on Wednesday. Until then, I had to self-isolate.

No problem. I was feeling pretty good. The fatigue and aches were lighter. My eyes no longer hurt to move them from side to side. I figured that this was just something else and not the dreaded COVID-19.

They didn't call me at the scheduled time. I waited 30 minutes to make sure. Then I contacted someone at the ER. I'm fully expecting them to say I was negative. WRONG! I was informed that had indeed tested positive.

Yesterday, I realized that I could not really smell much of anything. Of course, that affects your taste. Great. Anyone know how long (on average) until I get my sense of smell (and taste) back? Sucks to be off from work and not able to enjoy food.
I got my sense of smell and taste back in a week after losing it. I still haven't fully gotten my wind back and it has been over a month.

I know lots of people joke/make derogatory remarks on this board about this disease, but as it rapidly spreads it is hitting close to many of us. And we aren’t laughing. My daughter recovered a month ago after having a few real bad days. My brother is now receiving comfort care in the hospital and doc believes he has at best a 10% chance of surviving more than another couple days. Unconscious and I can’t visit him.

As for the clowns in this thread — c3o, for example - and elsewhere making snide remarks about hypochondria etc., be assured karma has a way of finding you someday.

Last edited:
I know lots of people joke/make derogatory remarks on this board about this disease, but as it rapidly spreads it is hitting close to many of us. And we aren’t laughing. My daughter recovered a month ago after having a few real bad days. My brother is now receiving comfort care in the hospital and doc believes he has at best a 10% chance of surviving more than another couple days. Unconscious and I can’t visit him.

As for the clowns in this thread and elsewhere making snide remarks, karma has a way of finding you.

I remember Karma. She was hot, but a bit crazy. Good times...

As for the clowns in this thread — c3o, for example - and elsewhere making snide remarks about hypochondria etc., be assured karma has a way of finding you someday.

Sorry about your brother. Prayers sent up. :(

Reactions: dinglefritz
I know a network of A LOT of people. I have a territory that goes from Virginia to Quebec and manage 50 accounts that employ anywhere from 15 to 500 people.

I live in a city of 60k and work for a company that employs 20k around this area. I manage a brand you may even own or know people that own and I design the product.

I know a lot of people that got COVID. I know of 0 that I interact with on a monthly basis that went to the hospital. Second handedly, I know of a few that went to the hospital and heard of others that I work with or know that knew some people that had it seriously, went on a ventilator or worse, died.

What's changed from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021? Well, now I'd say 70% or more of the public are fearful, hypochondriacs who have damaged psyches and may never recover from this. They view others as contaminated and unsafe to be around. They believe strapping a diaper to their healthy face is "normal".

People are at wits' end. We are majorly divided and trying to blame the other side for our irrational fears. I've personally lost friends because I think wearing a mask and not being scared senseless, is no way to go about life.

Just yesterday, as Biden took office, the WHO totally changed the way Covid is diagnosed. Less cycle count, no longer giving a positive test as a case, you have to have clinical symptoms and you have to pass additional tests.

I'm not a fan of progressive democrats, but got dam do they know how to win an election and how to manipulate the masses as an end to their means.

I won't bitch while this guy is in office. I also will pay him no mind. I will work, protect my family and remain aware of my current immediate situation.

Enjoy reading these discussions as they provide a nice pulse of how we are all managing the year that never got better.
Wait, are you a manager of a paper company in Scranton, PA?

The worst one is GBRforlife Makes fun of anyone that wants to be responsible by wearing masks a social distancing..

Prayers for you family members recovery’s...

Going to assume you’re lumping me into this as well, but my earlier comment was simply a way to bring some levity.

I take this virus and its prevention as serious as anyone - I got into a loud argument last weekend with a woman and her teenage daughter for being at the store and not wearing masks.

If you can’t laugh then you’ve already lost.

Last edited:

Be prepared to feel sluggish, tired, full head like you been awake for 48 hours and this can last around 90 days or so.

Going to assume you’re lumping me into this as well, but my earlier comment was simply a way to bring some levity.

I take this virus and its prevention as serious as anyone - I got into a loud argument last weekend with a woman and her teenage daughter for being at the store and not wearing masks.

Damn the last thing I would want to do is get into a yelling match with someone that wasnt wearing a mask. The chances of them getting 'droplets' in you greatly intensify. I would just do the sensible thing and stay away from them.

I mean if I feared the disease as much as others do anyways. The worst part of China-19 is you never know what it will do to you until you have it, and then it may be too late.

Best wishes to you Boxes on a speedy recovery and to the others that have it or know someone that has it.

sorry to hear man. It's a tough one. I've got an old friend dragging around an oxygen tank who has been battling since about Thanksgiving. Some of it was his own refusal to listen to his Dr. and some of it was being diagnosed with diabetes apparently caused by the initial infection with COVID or drug therapy. His blood glucose levels were fine for the first week he was in the hospital then went through the roof a couple of weeks later at home.

When I got it I had a fever for 11 days, breathing was an issue the last 4 or 5 days... once the fever broke, the breathing improved quickly. Smell was gone for a few weeks, then returned, although I’m not sure it is completely back.

Take care of yourself boxes, the second half for me was the worst. Hopefully yours won’t be.
This sounds almost exactly the way mine was. Had a fever for 11 days, sometime they were pretty high. Prior to being positive, I was running about 25 miles a week so I thought my breathing would be fine. Nope, that became an issue as well.

Reactions: timnsun
On a more serious note. I have a co-worker who has had COVID-19 for just over a month now. She is in a high risk group, being a cancer survivor. She recently had a benign tumor removed. Due to the nature of her cancer, she has been on a low-dose chemotherapy. This combination wrecks her immunity. While the rest of the family was over it in a couple of weeks, she's still been out since before Christmas.

Her name is Lissa. If anyone wants to pray for her, I'd appreciate it. She was there for me and my wife as she battled cancer that last year. Great lady.
For you, anything... you are the best...

The way the public has been mislead and turned against each other is criminal.

1st of all masks don't do sh!t. 2nd of all if you're not ok being around people remove yourself. It's not everyone else's job to conform to your asinine wishes.

Apparently you weren't laughing, so you must've already lost?

The worst one is GBRforlife Makes fun of anyone that wants to be responsible by wearing masks a social distancing..

Prayers for you family members recovery’s...

Sorry your virtue signaling won't get you more social credits.

Keep thinking you're doing your part - we're all in this together.

Hope your brother pulls through.

Regardless of what happens be happy for his life.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I had it in June. High fever for seven days. No loss of taste or smell. Fatigue lasted for about three months after. I'm seventy and never took a nap in my life. For three months I needed an afternoon nap. Now I'm good. Back to normal.
Amazed how many doubters there were about CV19 back in June. Reality finally set in and it just isn't fiction as more people are infected or know someone infected by it.

Never took a nap? You, sir, are impressive.

I don’t believe anyone thought it was fiction. The issue was the severity of the disease, not if it existed or not.

There is so much in flux with covid, with no rhyme or reason to how it affects people. As I mentioned, I had the fever for 11 days, and difficulty breathing. Trots as well.

My wife and two daughters had a fever for a day. One daughter had severe headaches for a few days. That’s it.

I suspect hundreds of thousands have had it and been very mild or even asymptomatic. While others, like myself, have had it with more severe symptoms. Obviously, the worst has been those who have died from it.

It is very real. Just across the board how it affects people.

The virus is real, the narrative is not.

Everyone reacts differently to every illness.

Maybe some day we'll be able to look back and figure out a reason we decided to use a terribly suspect test and up-end everyone's lives for what is basically the flu that impacted seniors who had been less impacted the last 2 years.

GBR been drinkin’... whatever happened to the guy from Florida? Always drank on Tuesdays and weekends...

So far I have only had 1 beer.

The night is young and I have a full fridge.

Last edited:
This is not meant to be offensive in any way: i wonder to what extent that symptoms of this are actually psychological.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Hope you make a full recovery. Sounds like with the smell and taste issues, you'll be back to normal sometime. Based on my very short skim of this, it shouldn't be permanent.

The way the public has been mislead and turned against each other is criminal.

1st of all masks don't do sh!t. 2nd of all if you're not ok being around people remove yourself. It's not everyone else's job to conform to your asinine wishes.

Apparently you weren't laughing, so you must've already lost?
You're a clown.

No further response needed.

Really sorry about your brother. Our member funeral homes in a lot of areas have been telling us their volume has been absolutely nuts. One had handled triple the deaths they normally get in that stretch.

Families have been shattered and decimated by this disease.

As long as I live I'll never forget the member who was contacted by either the state or the county to ask how many cremations they could get through a day if they ran their retort 24/7.

My buddy in Kearney had the same loss of taste and smell. This was about a month ago. He says it's all good now.

Upon hearing this, I then asked him for his blood and stem cells. 😂

My buddy in Kearney had the same loss of taste and smell. This was about a month ago. He says it's all good now.

Upon hearing this, I then asked him for his blood and stem cells. 😂
Reminds me to see if I can get bumped up that vaccine list because I donate platelets and plasma. They test you for antibodies, I haven't caught it yet. They can farm me like a horseshoe crab once I got that good plasma.

• Haha
Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT