ADVERTISEMENT

OT: how old were you ...

How old were you when you moved out of your parents home?

• Wait, wut? People actually move out? Why?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Got Job, Went to school and bolted fearlessly out of the house at 18... Much different then what happens nowadays...

***Edit, that was 1993... ahhhhh what a time to be in college!

Reactions: baseball31ne
Well, I answered 18, because thats when I went away to college. I still came home for 2-3 summers, but I never moved back in full time after graduating. Moved in with my fiance (now wife).

Let me tell you a little about my childhood.....

Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

15, left because tired of the three mile walk to town/school and lack of money/food in the house
Invited by and old man to stay with him and help in out with his health poblems
My family was the poorest in the village area
senior year with the old gentleman and night job at bakery in county seat (12 miles hitch hiking/ 6 months
BS dgree NU - MBA Mich State
CFO two Fortune 500 companies, on Board one of them
VP Controller then VP Planning Sytems for third
The classic American success story - you can make it thru hard work

Left for basic training 2 weeks before my 18th birthday -
Turned 19 in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm.
Never went to college
Left the military at 24 (wish I would have stayed)
Moved to NYC at 25 and taught myself how write code (HTML/JS)
Worked for multiple dotcoms during the 90s
Started my own tech company at 28
Went broke
Started another company at 32
Almost 50 now, married with 2 teenagers
Planning on retiring and traveling when they go to college.

I consider myself one of the luckiest people I know.

Moved out completely at age 25 when I graduated from grad school and got married. I worked all through school (including 3 jobs / 60+ hrs/wk some summers), lived on campus during undergrad and commuted for grad school.

My dad's mindset was as long as we were in school, we were welcome to live at home. We had to live by his rules as long as we were there, including the fact the doors were locked at 1 am (the screen door that we didn't have a key to) and if you weren't in the house by then, you're sleeping somewhere else. I always had a good relationship with my parents, arguably the best among my siblings, so it seemed to work pretty well.

Reactions: HuskerO
I can’t help but notice that some of our vocal residents haven’t posted in this thread. I wonder why..

Graduated in 72, 18 and in love. Had been dating her since November of 71. We celebrate 48 years of marriage August 19.

My father abandoned us when I was 1st or 2nd grade, I am the oldest of 5. We were dirt poor, moving from house to house once a year after being evicted.

I think I stayed at home maybe 2 months after graduation, took a job on road construction until my wife to be graduated high school. I never looked back. Got married on Sunday, honeymooned in McCook, went to work Monday morning to finished up a job on the highway from Oberljn to the state line and then we both started tech school the next week. Ended up with a M.S. Degree and turned a technical school into a college and started a new Classical Christian school. The sky is the limit in this country if you want to work at all.

Last edited:
Left for basic training 2 weeks before my 18th birthday -
Turned 19 in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm.
Never went to college
Left the military at 24 (wish I would have stayed)
Moved to NYC at 25 and taught myself how write code (HTML/JS)
Worked for multiple dotcoms during the 90s
Started my own tech company at 28
Went broke
Started another company at 32
Almost 50 now, married with 2 teenagers
Planning on retiring and traveling when they go to college.

I consider myself one of the luckiest people I know.
Great story!

I can’t help but notice that some of our vocal residents haven’t posted in this thread. I wonder why..
Some of us prefer to remain somewhat anonymous. Left for college at 18. Went home to work 2 summers during college. Married at 22. First kid at 23. Finished doctorate at 24 Started my first business at 29. Made some good coin on the side developing real estate. Sold one business at 41 which allowed me to buy a farm and I've pretty much spent most of my time chasing that dream since then. Still work very part time in my original profession. Spend WAY too much time on this board.

I was pretty old, but I paid rent and mowed the lawn..lol
but really I was on the road all week so it was just a place to sleep on weekends.
so 5/7th of the time I wasn't there

Went off to Marine Corps Bootcamp 14 days after high school graduation. I got along with my parents pretty well, but hated their rules and couldn't wait to get out of the house. Of course the Marines had a lot of rules too, but I didn't have to sneak around to get drunk, which was way better than being at home.

I always wonder why now so many kids live at home into their mid 20s or longer. As in - do parents have less rules, or are today's kids more willing to live within the rules, or is it some other dynamic I don't understand?

Well, I answered 18, because thats when I went away to college. I still came home for 2-3 summers, but I never moved back in full time after graduating. Moved in with my fiance (now wife).
This post has nothing to do with husker football. I can't believe you're posting it here.

Moved out at 18. Went to college. Moved back home my 1st summer. My dad basically asked me wtf I was doing back lol. Rarely went back again. Joined the Air Force at 26. That was good for $20k off the student loans and a TS/SCI clearance. Now I work for a big company.

15, left because tired of the three mile walk to town/school and lack of money/food in the house
Invited by and old man to stay with him and help in out with his health poblems
My family was the poorest in the village area
senior year with the old gentleman and night job at bakery in county seat (12 miles hitch hiking/ 6 months
BS dgree NU - MBA Mich State
CFO two Fortune 500 companies, on Board one of them
VP Controller then VP Planning Sytems for third
The classic American success story - you can make it thru hard work

Assuming you're white, the guilt you must now feel for being so successfull has got to be hard, having everything just handed to you like that I mean.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I was abducted by aliens at 16 and returned after 3 years but not a second had passed on Earth.

Left for college just before turning 18. Made it through college debt-free thanks to some scholarships and a $4/hour gig as a maintenance man. Lived in an apartment for one year after college before buying my first house. It was very small and didn't look like much, but I fixed it up and ended up living there nearly 15 years. A few years into my first job, I went to graduate school at night while working full-time.

Most of the young people I work with have a pretty similar story, and they are some of my best co-workers. I know us old farts are supposed to see them all as entitled Muh-lennials, but that seems odd to me. When I was scraping together $2000 for a down payment on my first house, there were other people my age getting a boatload money from their parents to buy a "starter home" with four bathrooms and a 3-car garage. People don't have the same life, just because they are the same age.

Reactions: dinglefritz
First time i moved out: 18, college. dropped out a month in (I was not mentally the best at the time), went back home, lived there almost a year until I shipped off to AF basic training. Currently almost finished with tech school now and living the life.
You're setting yourself up well. People best equipped for the future are those with applicable skills. Electricians, plumbers, engineers, mechanics, etc.
Bachelor of Arts is worthless. Also, too many dentists, lawyers, and anyone with a degree that has the word "studies" tacked onto the end of it.

Reactions: TDLaww2020
this thread reminded me of the gilbert godfrey joke about seeing Jackie Kennedy at a party and walking up to her, "Tell me where you were when....."

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Born in 1971 in Lincoln NE, the year Devaney won a MNC
Lived in Florida in 94 and 95 when we won MNCs defeating Miami and UF
Lived in Tennessee in 97 when we defeated the Vols for the MNC
Have lived in in Wisconsin for 18 years, so I naturally thought that the move to the Big 10 in 2011 was a sign.

But it wasn't.

Not yet anyway.

Let me tell you a little about my childhood.....

Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Good work. Despite the ellipsis error.

Reactions: egaRdeR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT