ADVERTISEMENT

OT - High School Wrestling - Clubs/Camps/Etc.

FFHusker

Dec 4, 2014
Lincoln
My son is a high school freshman. His first experience wrestling - ever - is this year as part of the high school team.

Despite extremely limited experience, he seems to have some aptitude for the sport, and he recognizes that he is going to have to work at it year-round in order to make up for the huge skill/experience gap.

I'm not plugged into the Lincoln youth wrestling scene at all, so I'm looking to those that are for help. Are there 'off-season' programs/clubs/tournaments/camps that you would recommend?

Thanks to all in advance.

Yes! There are lots of summer leagues and intensive camps... Your son's coach will help with a few selections hopefully.

Do NOT make it a year round effort! Cross train and diversify for several months out of the year.... As a former high school coach, burn out is REAL!

Chadron, Lincoln, Kearney, Ames, York, Omaha all have great opportunities in my experience (from a decade ago)!

Reactions: HuskerWisdom
Thank you for your thoughts so far.

It won't be a 'year round' type of deal. He does football in the fall as well and has all of the various off-season strength and camp work for that, too. He stays pretty busy :)

Does anybody have any specific teams, clubs, camps they'd recommend? I'd strongly prefer Lincoln, though I'd imagine we could handle anything within an hour's drive.

Southwest used to run some offseason "open mat" wrestling if memory serves. Most coaches suggest certain off season camps/clinics/leagues and hopefully your son's does that . The WilberClatonia wrestling camp is a heck of a bargain and has some great competition! 500+ wrestlers from 5 states and 20+ teams. Three days in late June I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT