ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has anybody eaten at Gorat's in Omaha lately?

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
A family member is looking for an authentic Omaha steakhouse experience for his clan from the west coast attending a game in Lincoln. I've read that Buffet likes it. I've driven by but never eaten there. The facility looks dated but is the food really good?

Went there last year for first time in a long time. It was okay. They remodeled the place. Not sure where you see that their facilities looked dated. The food isn't as good since they switched owners.

Went there last year for first time in a long time. It was okay. They remodeled the place. Not sure where you see that their facilities looked dated. The food isn't as good since they switched owners.
Driving by on Center it looks dated IMO. I haven't seen the inside. Thanks for the input.

Had a filet there recently I'd put up against any filet in Omaha...might have helped somebody else was buying, but honestly I thought it was freaking amazing.

Haven't eaten dinner there in a long time, but they have one of the best kept secret happy hours in the City. Half price on drinks and apps. You even get a golden oldies, and I mean golden oldies, lounge act to boot - though I don't think that starts until happy hour is about over. Disclaimer: haven't been there all summer, but I assume it is still going.

A family member is looking for an authentic Omaha steakhouse experience for his clan from the west coast attending a game in Lincoln. I've read that Buffet likes it. I've driven by but never eaten there. The facility looks dated but is the food really good?

Does an authentic Omaha steakhouse experience still require a side of spaghetti?

Does an authentic Omaha steakhouse experience still require a side of spaghetti?

Piccolos, Mr. C’s, Venice inn all Thought so. So many of our traditional steak houses are long gone now. Sad. Haven’t been to Anthony’s in years, the Drover is still hard to beat and would be my recommendation.

Reactions: zrob
Asking for opinions on a restaurant is hilarious. It's either the greatest bite of food in history or garbage from hell! Whenever I visit a city with my wife I try to look at Yelp and it's maddening because the reviews are always all over the map.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Asking for opinions on a restaurant is hilarious. It's either the greatest bite of food in history or garbage from hell! Whenever I visit a city with my wife I try to look at Yelp and it's maddening because the reviews are always all over the map.
"If I could give it 0 stars, I would. Sadly, Yelp forces you to give at least one star"

Next review

"My god, if I could give it 10 stars I would, I literally orgasmed while eating"

Been many years since I was there but I've had steaks at some of the most famous places in Chicago and I didn't think any of them did a better filet than Gorats. More expensive for sure, but not better.

I agree...if you are paying Gorat's is okay....if someone else is paying it's pretty good....I will admit I have always thought their food was lacking. The Drover has always been one of my favorite spots (haven't been there since they reopened).
diningPhoto.png

Reactions: leodisflowers
Piccolos, Mr. C’s, Venice inn all Thought so. So many of our traditional steak houses are long gone now. Sad. Haven’t been to Anthony’s in years, the Drover is still hard to beat and would be my recommendation.

The mostaccioli at Piccolos was a critical part of my childhood.

Honestly I'm not ashamed to admit that the best steak I've had was at Ruth Chris'. I guess I like my steak in a sizzling pool of butter. Some people say "that's a chain!" like it's not real cow or something.
A great steak is a great steak, regardless of who serves it. Smith and Wollensky is a chain (albeit a small one), but the last time I ate there I felt like I should go to confession.

A great steak is a great steak, regardless of who serves it. Smith and Wollensky is a chain (albeit a small one), but the last time I ate there I felt like I should go to confession.
Probably the best steak I've ever eaten was cooked over real wood coals on my "old tractor rim fire pit" and was from a steer that I "knew". Man that was tasty. I need to do that more often but I just don't ever take the time to build the fire and let it burn down to cook on.

Probably the best steak I've ever eaten was cooked over real wood coals on my "old tractor rim fire pit" and was from a steer that I "knew". Man that was tasty. I need to do that more often but I just don't ever take the time to build the fire and let it burn down to cook on.
Yeah there used to be a dive bar in the hamlet of Primrose, Nebraska, where a guy cooked steaks over a pit of burning corn cobs, and you could get an excellent steak and a baked potato for about $12. I don't know what that meal costs at Smith and Wollensky because I've never paid the tab, but both were outstanding.

I could eat a great steak if my hair was on fire and Charles Manson was sitting across the table.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yeah there used to be a dive bar in the hamlet of Primrose, Nebraska, where a guy cooked steaks over a pit of burning corn cobs, and you could get an excellent steak and a baked potato for about $12. I don't know what that meal costs at Smith and Wollensky because I've never paid the tab, but both were outstanding.

I could eat a great steak if my hair was on fire and Charles Manson was sitting across the table.
Well IF Charlie was sitting across the table from you no doubt your hair would be on fire. That and everything else on your body. Charlie is no doubt burning in hell right now. Is Primrose still even around anymore? I think the town about got completely wiped out back in the late 60s or early 70s by a tornado didn't it?

Well IF Charlie was sitting across the table from you no doubt your hair would be on fire. That and everything else on your body. Charlie is no doubt burning in hell right now. Is Primrose still even around anymore? I think the town about got completely wiped out back in the late 60s or early 70s by a tornado didn't it?
Yes a tornado leveled much of the town in 1965. It still had a couple of bars and a gas station into the 2000s, but I'm not sure if any businesses are there anymore. Still had its Post Office as of a few years ago, but it might have closed too. The late Husker assistant coach Dan Young was from there.

Yes a tornado leveled much of the town in 1965. It still had a couple of bars and a gas station into the 2000s, but I'm not sure if any businesses are there anymore. Still had its Post Office as of a few years ago, but it might have closed too. The late Husker assistant coach Dan Young was from there.
I didn't know that about Young. I remember the tornado because I was huddled in a basement not too many miles from there that whole night. I would have been 6 or 7. Night time tornadoes were a scary deal back then without the radar that we have now.

I worked at the Drover in high school and my favorite story was how they had to start locking up the whipped cream cans with the champagne in the walk in cooler cus bussers were doin whip hits.
A locked chicken wire faced storage with nice champagne and Reddi Whip. A funny sight.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Had a filet there recently I'd put up against any filet in Omaha...might have helped somebody else was buying, but honestly I thought it was freaking amazing.
The fam elected to keep the reservations at Gorats and were very happy with the service and meal. Bro had the 22oz T-Bone and loved it. Thanks everybody for all the input.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT