ADVERTISEMENT

OT: harassed this morning on walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 3 good options OP:
1. Stop walking said route, find different route
2. Find a friend to walk with you to witness her nonsense (even better if friend is same nationality as her!)
3. Walk to other side of street if you see her, have headphones ready to put on to ignore her if she starts yelling at you for whatever reason, keep walking away from her as if you don't hear her

so remind us again why just stepping aside for 5 seconds to let someone else walk by is "an effort" that you shouldn't have to do? isnt it the common sense thing to do as well as the most friendly?
is your goal to be a dick? do u actually think if you step aside today that she will ask for your car keys tomorrow? this board has turned into a conservative hillbilly right wing white supremacy board for the most part. im shocked some of you will watch a game that involves people with different color skin and different cultures.
What a total drama Queen.

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with being foreign or not knowing customs. Some people are just jerks. Because they don't have anything else going for them in their lives they assert themselves in meaningless situations just to feel some semblance of power. We see it with lots of know-it-all posters on this board.

so remind us again why just stepping aside for 5 seconds to let someone else walk by is "an effort" that you shouldn't have to do? isnt it the common sense thing to do as well as the most friendly?
is your goal to be a dick? do u actually think if you step aside today that she will ask for your car keys tomorrow? this board has turned into a conservative hillbilly right wing white supremacy board for the most part. im shocked some of you will watch a game that involves people with different color skin and different cultures.

You're not being very tolerant.

You were the one who said something to her for having the nerve to walk on the "wrong" side of the sidewalk.
I feel there’s a middle ground you’re missing. Look at it this way... how do you feel when someone cuts you off in traffic? Or, if someone takes a parking space you were patiently waiting for? If you laugh off either of those scenarios without batting an eye, you’re a better person than most.

I’m fine with the notion that one should take the high road, but I do feel like you’re not making much of an attempt to understand OP’s frustration with the situation.

Reactions: WHCSC
sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

any constructive feedback welcomed.

When leaving your house tomorrow morning you should turn right instead of your usual left. Problem solved.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The story is about someone not showing common courtesy. Don't you freak out about people that don't wear masks because it's a common courtesy, or am I thinking of someone else?

Sounds like you missed some details. Lush as they were, maybe you'd prefer some CliffsNotes?
  1. Someone refused to yield to me on the sidewalk
  2. I decided it was because they were foreign
  3. I very helpfully told the foreign person how to behave in my country
  4. The foreign person hurt my feelings
  5. I've visited HuskerOnline to solicit sympathy because, well, you know... 👌

sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

DEAR GOD, PLEASE START THE SEASON NOW!

sorry if this is long.

All hell broke loose

I noticed that when I visited Miami last year. Almost everyone was walking on the left side of the sidewalk and figured it had something to do with them being foreigners.

I'm a big "principle" guy, but I think you are just asking for aggravation here with very little probability for success. I think when you are deciding whether to stand on principle, there should be these considerations:

1) How important is the principle I am standing for?
2) What is the probability of success?
3) What is it costing me to make this stand vs. acquiescing?
4) Is it worth it?

Just have your phone ready to record if she starts recording. Oh, and start coughing a lot if she gets close to you.

Since some are calling you a dick you could always just show her your dick next time she is in the wrong lane.

Overheard between NikkiSixx and Rosa Parks on a bus: "Why yes, as a matter of fact, it is my country, and this is our custom for seating arrangements."

Sorry, pal, you don't really get to determine when it is a racism/sexism thing, and when it isn't. Let me shine a different light on the confrontation:

White American Male won't yield to Black Foreign Female because he's never had to and isn't about to start.
Black Foreign Female won't yield to White American Male because she's always had to and isn't about to continue.

So if you're asking for sympathy, sorry, I already gave mine to your adversary.

Whatever happened to Nebraska Nice? I guess Florida sapped it out of you.

Last edited:
Get a friend to wait nearby with a camera to record you when you meet up with her with your walking stick and dark sunglasses on. Let the fun commence.

sorry if this is long.

All hell broke loose

Tread lightly. There are now many folks with an entrenched victim complex who are just itching for a fight. You appeared to be the perfect candidate. There is no winning here. You don't engage, you just keep going. Then, if she brings violence, she's going to jail, not you.

We were at Disneyland a couple of years ago, going around to some of the same rides at the same pace as this other family. I get the feeling this lady is looking at me cross-eyed, but I don't know why. I hadn't said anything to her. So it's on my radar and getting a little bit uncomfortable. We're at one particular line and her 2 kids run off to get some snacks. Rather than step aside and let people in line keep moving, she stopped it up until her kids could return. This went on for about 15 minutes. The line was moving ahead of us quite a bit and people behind us are getting annoyed. So I finally asked her if she minds if we just go on by. She did mind and she let me have it. I immediately recognized that things were about to get serious with a lot of name-calling and accusations coming my way, so I smiled and just let her vent. She eventually ran out of steam and if anybody was recording anything, they got nothing on me for escalating it. She seemed really poed that she couldn't get a rise out of me

well I have done that twice.. but you see that just giving in is not enough.. they want more.. not just this incident, but in general, and it's why I think it's wrong to be giving in, in the first place.. it just creates more of this bs.

Curious who "they" are...

Are there lots of Haitians in your neighborhood hogging the sidewalks? Are they now threatening to park their cars in front of your house? OMG where will it end and who will stop the madness?

i try to avoid these types of confrontations, but unfortunately, the world is full of people trying to prove a point or have an axe to grind.
ive been told Americans are rude...oh yeah, rrrright.
we shouldnt have to legislate common sense, common courtesy, or simple gratitude, but f’n here we are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT