ADVERTISEMENT

OT: harassed this morning on walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

any constructive feedback welcomed.

Is there a way to go about your morning routine stroll that doesnt involve the same route? It sucks changing your routine because they are the issue but not escalating should be the goal. Absolutely have your phone fully charged and ready to record though

sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

That sucks… if you don’t want to change your routine, then this is what I might do… I feel like if you are ready to record her, it may cause her to settle down a bit as well. Don’t challenge, just let her hang her self. It sounds like she will fly off the handle all on her own.

It might be best to go a different route and not interact with her anymore, but if you’re not ready to do that, then I would do what I mentioned above.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Just move over. No big deal.
well I have done that twice.. but you see that just giving in is not enough.. they want more.. not just this incident, but in general, and it's why I think it's wrong to be giving in, in the first place.. it just creates more of this bs.

Put your MAGA hat on and your favorite A.M jersey and walk right through them!!!
If I had some football pads and such, I'd consider it..Laughing no idea if there will be more than 1 tomorrow.

well I have done that twice.. but you see that just giving in is not enough.. they want more.. not just this incident, but in general, and it's why I think it's wrong to be giving in, in the first place.. it just creates more of this bs.

If I had some football pads and such, I'd consider it..Laughing no idea if there will be more than 1 tomorrow.

You're beginning to sound like the guy in my avitar. Who cares if you have to move to the other side of the sidewalk for this one person? Clearly it's bigger than that now because you made it that way.

They probably simply don’t know the law - perhaps give them a copy of the law that prohibits people from walking on the left side of the sidewalk

if it continues to be a problem ask local LEOs to kindly enforce the laws of the land and hand out a citation

Last edited:
Just move over. No big deal.
This 👆🏻

Seriously, I don’t mean to diminish your thoughts but this all seems kind of silly... it’s a side walk and not that big of a deal... I don’t know how many times I’ve had to walk I. The grass or move to the other side... there are far more serious issues out there then “you’re walking on the wrong side of the side walk” 🤦🏻‍♂️... I don’t think it’s hurts anyone to show some kindness... yes she could just have easily have moved over as well, so it really just sounds like to stubborn people butting heads, the cops have better things to deal with instead of having to deal with petty issues like these.... take the high road my man and side step a few steps and then go back to where you were once you’ve passed each other

I think this is worthy of a 9-1-1 call the next time it happens. This is clearly a violation of the law and she shall be thrown in jail for life.

In all seriousness, the "wrong way" sidewalk walking is also a pet peeve of mine, but I've learned that I can't change the world to get everyone to walk on the "right" side. Suck it up, move over and be the bigger person.

Is this a real story? I seem to recall a made up story a while back which was really just a passive aggressive way to attack Scott Frost. The angle was hard to pin down on that one just as it is on this one. But if this is a real story, carry on. It will make for an entertaining read for days to come

So there was a book from back in the 80's "Getting Even". George Hayduke or something like that. I don't think it's in print any more. Probably got some people in trouble.

• Love
Reactions: NikkiSixx
My wife and I were having this conversation while in Ireland a few years ago. I didn't really notice one way or the other but walked on the left. Also, entering a building with two doors, I presume the left is considered the entry and right the exit? Needs to be a Seinfeld episode on this.

My wife and I were having this conversation while in Ireland a few years ago. I didn't really notice one way or the other but walked on the left. Also, entering a building with two doors, I presume the left is considered the entry and right the exit? Needs to be a Seinfeld episode on this.
I'll admit, I had trouble driving through a roundabout in St John not too long ago -- driving on the left side of the road and going around clockwise made it confusing.

Some dude yelled at me. So I was more careful next time.

This 👆🏻

Seriously, I don’t mean to diminish your thoughts but this all seems kind of silly... it’s a side walk and not that big of a deal... I don’t know how many times I’ve had to walk I. The grass or move to the other side... there are far more serious issues out there then “you’re walking on the wrong side of the side walk” 🤦🏻‍♂️... I don’t think it’s hurts anyone to show some kindness... yes she could just have easily have moved over as well, so it really just sounds like to stubborn people butting heads, the cops have better things to deal with instead of having to deal with petty issues like these.... take the high road my man and side step a few steps and then go back to where you were once you’ve passed each other
I tried to be nice with her.. I certainly didn't deserve 20 minutes of berating from her either.. I know it is silly, but it's more about the principle of it now. I sort of figured some people would find a way to blame me..

I tried to be nice with her.. I certainly didn't deserve 20 minutes of berating from her either.. I know it is silly, but it's more about the principle of it now. I sort of figured some people would find a way to blame me..

I, too, mean this in the nicest possible way: it's actually my country, and we don't customarily allow greasy hemorrhoidal turds to hop around our sidewalks, right-side or left. If you can't abide by those customs, you really don't belong here either 😀

sorry if this is long.

All hell broke loose

I stopped at Florida.

I don’t think anyone is blaming you, I surely am not blaming you, or at least not blaming you alone...

I will say this I do t even see the principle in the whole thing. But then again I’ve never really been triggered by what side of the sidewalk someone walks on. I just think there are/ were better ways to handle the situation, and that’s on both sides. I definitely agree either way it didn’t deserve a 20 minute verbal Assault, which is why I chalk this up to two stubborn people not wanting to compromise... I just personally don’t understand why or how something so small Escalated to possibly needing to call the police

I can relate to this MORE than you know.
I've worked in a production facility for 20+ years. I pass lots of people in the hallways daily (which aren't that wide) and I'm scraping paint off the wall trying to stay out of peoples way.

A lot of these people are Foreigners, which doesn't bug me.
But not adopting some of our customs or common courtesies as it were has gotten to me at times. Walking on the correct side, holding open doors, not standing in line with others to clock in. Ughhhhhhhh!!

More than once I've stopped in the hallway and a person or small group will be walking and texting/talking and I just stand my ground and let people run into me. I'm 6' and 3 bills, I can take the punishment. Virtually never get an apology. I just smile and laugh it off, but have politely mentioned it works the same like the streets you drive on.

I've learned to let it go over the years, in today's politically correct climate. I'm the bad white man.

Just let it go or change your routine. Easy to say hard to do. You'll end up being the bad guy.

Good luck.

sorry if this is long.

All hell broke loose

I had the same thing happen to me during my afternoon jog. I just moved over. Gotta pick and choose your battles, but I get the frustration.

sorry if this is long.

All hell broke loose

so remind us again why just stepping aside for 5 seconds to let someone else walk by is "an effort" that you shouldn't have to do? isnt it the common sense thing to do as well as the most friendly?
is your goal to be a dick? do u actually think if you step aside today that she will ask for your car keys tomorrow? this board has turned into a conservative hillbilly right wing white supremacy board for the most part. im shocked some of you will watch a game that involves people with different color skin and different cultures.

I don’t think anyone is blaming you, I surely am not blaming you, or at least not blaming you alone...

I will say this I do t even see the principle in the whole thing. But then again I’ve never really been triggered by what side of the sidewalk someone walks on. I just think there are/ were better ways to handle the situation, and that’s on both sides. I definitely agree either way it didn’t deserve a 20 minute verbal Assault, which is why I chalk this up to two stubborn people not wanting to compromise... I just personally don’t understand why or how something so small Escalated to possibly needing to call the police
because this guy telling the story is a dick. Dicks escalate things

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT