ADVERTISEMENT

OT: harassed this morning on walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

any constructive feedback welcomed.
You need to be sympathetic to weaker people who do not understand how to navigate in this difficult country. Some people figure it out quickly and thrive, others do not. You might think it’s helpful to help educate confused people, but that no longer is considered the right thing to do.

I would’ve probably said, “hi, I guess we’re going to see each other daily! Have a nice day.” And moved on with my life. But definitely, spend a week or so obsessing over how you were right. That’s healthier.

I’m pretty sure this situation can be solved with a good old fashioned dance off.

I agree!! Winking

fce3000e7b82e0ed144afe036d0aa975.gif

sorry if this is long.

let me set the stage by starting with yesterday.. on my walk through the neighborhood here in Florida, west palm beach area, someone is walking towards me, but on the left side of the sidewalk.. yes it all starts with something as silly as this. There are a lot more foreigners here and sometimes, they don't understand that customarily, we walk on the right side of the pavement, just like we drive on the right side of the road.

Anyway, this person will not move, won't move over, finally, I throw my arms up, and move.. in passing I say something about your walking on the wrong side. I am met with immediate backlash, "Do you make the rules, blah blah blah.

I wasn't there to start a fight, kept walking and ignored this person, but it upset me, why should I be the one having to move?

This morning, I run into the same person. This time, I decide, I'm not going to move. I end up stopping, and so does she. A bunch of the same as yesterday, and calmly try to tell her the custom. I can here her accent, and mention it, and she freaks out.. why does it matter or whatever.. In my thinking, I'm going ok, she is a foreigner, and doesn't understand, so I'm in let me explain it mode, but she is having none of it. She thinks I'm on some big power trip telling her what to do and demands to know if this is my country and if I set the rules.

At this point, I'm tired of this bullshit. I told her yes it is my country and these are the customs and what she is doing is challenging me.

I told her, if you're foreign, and don't want to abide by the customs of this country, then you don't belong here. Try doing that stuff in any other country, and it won't go over so well for you.

All hell broke loose

This women, likely from Haiti or Dominican Republic is now in my face screaming at me, pulls out her phone and well it's too dark for much of her video to be any good, but she calls me a trump supporter, a racist, a pig, a fat ass, ugly, I can't remember all the bullshit that came out of her mouth. I just kept walking. I did have to tell her, don't spit in my face again. She was that animated, out of control.. saying she was going to put this on the news, that I was a racist (I said nothing about race ever) and this just went on for 20 minutes. She was going to follow me home apparently, and she said she was going to get me fired... 20 minutes later, it ended up her saying she would 'see you tomorrow' before she cut out, not wanting to walk anymore.

So I've taken some time to calm down, but other than bring a camera tomorrow on my walk, not sure what else to do about it. I figure I can call the cops next time, but my wife wants me to change my plans saying this women is crazy and could create all kinds of lies to entrap me.

I don't want to let even 1 idiot like this affect my day or decisions, so I plan to follow my routine.

I guess I feel like people have been way too accommodating to this kind of crap, and when one does that, it just keeps coming. It actually felt like some sort of bullying from grade 4 or something.. and I know she was trying to bait me into doing something stupid, but what the hell is wrong with people today?

any constructive feedback welcomed.
Well that was a dick move by you. Why am I not surprised. Fighting with a woman no less over which side of the F'n sidewalk you walk on. I'm guessing you won't be opening doors for women either because you were there first. The appropriate courteous response by you would have been to smile and say excuse me and move to the other side. Who the hell cares what side of the sidewalk somebody walks on. Move over and wish them a good day.

I had the same thing happen to me during my afternoon jog. I just moved over. Gotta pick and choose your battles, but I get the frustration.
Why is it frustrating? MOST people are unaware of the right side rule when meeting traffic on hiking trails. Even there I get out of somebody's way and let them pass regardless of what side they're on. I have NEVER heard it applied to a city sidewalk while walking.

All the crap going on, this is where you choose to make a stand?

You can’t change your route now since you went this far already. Bring a lawn chair, grill etc and just camp out on ‘your side’ next time. And learn to tune out any verbal beratings.
Or.....maybe just move to the other side because now he knows that this particular WOMAN likes to walk on her left side of the sidewalk. I was taught to respect women and be polite to them.

Reactions: WC_'sker
Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with being foreign or not knowing customs. Some people are just jerks. Because they don't have anything else going for them in their lives they assert themselves in meaningless situations just to feel some semblance of power. We see it with lots of know-it-all posters on this board.
Or maybe she IS crazy and he WAS being a dick. Both can be true. I can't imagine getting upset over having to move to the other side of the sidewalk. My usual comment when a woman fakes right then goes left when meeting me causing a near head on collision is "Hey. Wanna dance?"

Its amazing to me the people in this thread who very easily fly off the handle at the OP but cannot bring themselves to admit this woman's behavior was obviously worse. Its not even close who the worse person is here.

Of course OP should have not let it get to him and should have just walked around, let alone complain about it on a message board.
But I am confident that had the OP left nationality out of it, there would have been a few more people more critical of her awful behavior.

I think I would just have went around, because if she was from hatti she might be clueless about US customs. I suppose a semi driver will help her get the swing of things eventually...
what's worse is people driving the speed limit or slower in the fast lane...people that have spent decades in the US seeing signs like slower traffic keep right...while listening to the eagles life in the fast lane...retardation is the only legit excuse for that, but who gives the test and makes the judgement on that???

Its amazing to me the people in this thread who very easily fly off the handle at the OP but cannot bring themselves to admit this woman's behavior was obviously worse. Its not even close who the worse person is here.

Of course OP should have not let it get to him and should have just walked around, let alone complain about it on a message board.
But I am confident that had the OP left nationality out of it, there would have been a few more people more critical of her awful behavior.
He should have attacked. Let that bitch see what a flurry of slaps, fingernails, and half-hearted bites feels like. HUSKER POWER!

Today I was outrunning everyone on the trail, as per usual. Three white women, one obviously gravid, were walking three abreast so they could chat. They saw my tightly corded thews approaching and didn't yield! So I took to the grass and ran by knowing at least one of the three wasn't a virgin.

Reactions: leodisflowers

The only thing she did "wrong" was walk on the "wrong" side of the sidewalk until the OP felt he had to say something to her as he walked by. That is where the problem started.

Reactions: Rick Chick
Well I didn't go on my morning walk. I couldn't sleep last night, didn't get up until later, my day is out of whack, and yeah I like routine and am cranky when I don't have it.

There is no real way to avoid this person.

The neighborhood used to be a nice one. Avg home price here is 300k or so, so it is not considered a bad neighborhood, but it's changing. The number of foreigners here is way different than in Nebraska. At times, it feels like a foreign country.

I'm probably going to pick up some mace, maybe a taser.

For dingle, I was being challenged.. this person is a very angry person, looking for ways to get a rise out of people, and then quick to video tape it.

For those that it's no biggie, I understand and would normally agree, but in this situation, I believe it's political and targeted.

This woman, shouted at me numerous times how she had been here for 20 years.. and in thinking about her arguments to me, it's clear to see she is bitter.

She comes to America maybe in her teens, spends 20 years here illegally, and feels like a second class citizen, all the while enjoying the economic benefits and otherwise of the American Dream, so she feels like she has earned it, but inside she knows she is here illegally and is bitter.

I don't sense any gratitude in her.. only bitterness like she was owed even more than what she has gotten.

I guess I tried to put myself in her shoes to understand why she is acting this way, and that is all I can come up with.

It just floors me that someone can think they can go into a foreign country, work there a number of years and benefit from it, and not be grateful or even internalize the customs and norms of the host country.

There are plenty of foreigners who are grateful for being here and integrate well into the society.

This person for whatever reason, is not that way.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Why is it frustrating? MOST people are unaware of the right side rule when meeting traffic on hiking trails. Even there I get out of somebody's way and let them pass regardless of what side they're on. I have NEVER heard it applied to a city sidewalk while walking.

I was just trying to be nice. Nikki seemed pretty upset.

I would say MOST people do walk on the right side of the trail... unless you’re hiking around England 😂.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
imagine people asking why you carry mace and a taser and you reply back with "Because I have to deal with immigrants who can't walk on the sidewalk properly!"

In most states it's because your worried about getting robbed, but it must be different in Florida.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Is this a real story? I seem to recall a made up story a while back which was really just a passive aggressive way to attack Scott Frost. The angle was hard to pin down on that one just as it is on this one. But if this is a real story, carry on. It will make for an entertaining read for days to come
I am also trying to figure out the angle. I can't believe someone would take this much time on a football message board to talk about something as stupid as walking on the sidewalk.

Just move over. No big deal.
And that my friends is what puts so many countries on the road to ruin historically. I can imagine the Jews just saying “ it’s only a cloth star just wear it it’s no big deal”

the time to tolerate this typeof behavior is over time to pick a side and stand up for what is right. My wife and I no longer tolerate these nut jobs whether it be in person or on social media. If you do it just gets worse

I was just trying to be nice. Nikki seemed pretty upset.

I would say MOST people do walk on the right side of the trail... unless you’re hiking around England 😂.
After thinking about it, I think Nikki IS in fact Bo Pelini. Look at how he defends Bo and now this interaction with a fellow human being............

Reactions: Baxter48
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT