ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Handicap License Plates

PeliniTheCrutch

Defensive Coordinator
Jul 4, 2016
Why is it that anyone who drives a vehicle with handicap license plates is a horrible and/or dangerous driver 100% of the time? Should the relationship between the two really be tied that closely?

• Love
Reactions: ATX Husker
Why is it that anyone who drives a vehicle with handicap license plates is a horrible and/or dangerous driver 100% of the time? Should the relationship between the two really be tied that closely?
Maybe you are just lucky?

Sort of lumping a lot of people together there. What I do not get and quite frankly pisses me off is people with plates and or tags that park in the handicap spaces and get out and walk right to the store no issues at all. Push the cart full of stuff back to the car and load it. I assume its a spouse or relation taking advantage of it or something but it just is not right.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

Sort of lumping a lot of people together there. What I do not get and quite frankly pisses me off is people with plates and or tags that park in the handicap spaces and get out and walk right to the store no issues at all. Push the cart full of stuff back to the car and load it. I assume its a spouse or relation taking advantage of it or something but it just is not right.
Is there a chance their handicap is that they are Iowa fans?

Reactions: TheVegvisir

A lot of people have someone in the family that is handicapped but use handicap parking even when that person is not with them ..Do disagree that everyone with handicap parking license plates is a bad driver.

A lot of people have someone in the family that is handicapped but use handicap parking even when that person is not with them ..Do disagree that everyone with handicap parking license plates is a bad driver.
Well if you are not disabled don't park in that spot. Get the hell out and let others who are us it. Plates or not

You just described my Dad. He moves slow but can walk just fine and yes he unloads his own cart. He's also a Vietnam vet who nearly died from multiple myeloma related to agent orange and is missing part of his spine that was removed in two surgeries from both the front and the back. There are always people gaming the system but my legs work fine and I park and walk and don't let fat people with handicap tags piss me off.

You just described my Dad. He moves slow but can walk just fine and yes he unloads his own cart. He's also a Vietnam vet who nearly died from multiple myeloma related to agent orange and is missing part of his spine that was removed in two surgeries from both the front and the back. There are always people gaming the system but my legs work fine and I park and walk and don't let fat people with handicap tags piss me off.
Moving slow is not what I was talkin about. They don't piss me off for myself. It pisses me off because there are people who need those spaces the idiots use when they don't need to. That's it. Pretty simple.

Say thank you to your Dad for his service. Man that agent orange stuff is rough. What was his unit and mos?

Reactions: tpmcg and mgbreis
On a related note, don't park illegally between the handicapped spaces and the front door of the building. When self-important idiots do that, they defeat the purpose of all of the handicapped spaces by forcing disabled people to detour around their vehicle.

Also, if you want to make a van-accessible handicapped space completely useless, just park a freaking motorcycle in the marked area next to the parking space.

Last edited:
Say thank you to your Dad for his service. Man that agent orange stuff is rough. What was his unit and mos?
I'm ashamed to say I don't know off the top of my head. He wasn't in combat, was basically an artillery mechanic. He has an Army license plate that says M109, which is the howitzer he worked on a lot. I helped him file his veteran's disability claim after his illness and learned some of those details. He was like thousands and thousands of others, got a notice that he was drafted and went and did what he was told. The sad thing is his agent orange exposure was from running a torch to cut the tops off barrels so they could be used as trash cans.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm ashamed to say I don't know off the top of my head. He wasn't in combat, was basically an artillery mechanic. He has an Army license plate that says M109, which is the howitzer he worked on a lot. I helped him file his veteran's disability claim after his illness and learned some of those details. He was like thousands and thousands of others, got a notice that he was drafted and went and did what he was told. The sad thing is his agent orange exposure was from running a torch to cut the tops off barrels so they could be used as trash cans.
Man?!?! I could see if he picked it up in combat from being in the jungle etc I could understand. But contracting it from residue is just bizarre. Who would have thought??? Guess they were supposed to scrub them down with hot water and soap???

Unfortunate and sad deal. Hopefully he can, and others like him, can get all the medical care AND compensation they are entitled too.

Now we're finding out that paraquat is causing parkinson's disease.

I'm always impressed by how well off the handicap are. Usually driving a giant SUV or late model pick up.

my dad was a ww2 veteran.
cut his teeth driving the 2 lane highways of W Nebraska and the dakotas in the 50s and 60s selling pharmaceuticals and later, xray equipment.
he often drove my friend and i to high school in the morning, before we had licenses.
my buddy would step out of the car with his face white as a ghost, but i was used to his precise manuevers with a cigarette in one hand and a cup of joe in the other.
he never got a hc tag or plate, but he should not have been driving toward the end, there…

Reactions: mgbreis
That's a very silly thing to say. If they are truly legit handicaped they would trade their nice car for their heakth.
My comment was more in line with a lot of rich people scamming the system and getting handicap placards under some weak ass medical condition. Not all, but we know it happens. My biggest beef is probably that there are too many handicap spots in front of stores. They could cut back by 50% and there would still be too many

I’ve read this board religiously the past 10 years and never read such ignorant comments. First, my wife’s doctor at Madonna in Lincoln was in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down. He easily probably made over 200k a year so yeah he more than likely drove a nice car. Not all handicapped people are poor.

Second, looking at my wife you wouldn’t think anything is wrong with her now. Gets out of the car fine, loads groceries fine, etc. But she spent over 60 days completely blind and lost all ability to move her lower half. Had to relearn how to walk, regain her vision, but still suffers from leg spasms and chronic fatigue that’s debilitating out of nowhere. Such ignorant comments out of people who don’t know what others are going through.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I’ve read this board religiously the past 10 years and never read such ignorant comments. First, my wife’s doctor at Madonna in Lincoln was in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down. He easily probably made over 200k a year so yeah he more than likely drove a nice car. Not all handicapped people are poor.

Second, looking at my wife you wouldn’t think anything is wrong with her now. Gets out of the car fine, loads groceries fine, etc. But she spent over 60 days completely blind and lost all ability to move her lower half. Had to relearn how to walk, regain her vision, but still suffers from leg spasms and chronic fatigue that’s debilitating out of nowhere. Such ignorant comments out of people who don’t know what others are going through.
A couple of cherry picked anecdotes doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people scam handicap tags. I guess I really don't care. If people need some sort of lame advantage, go ahead. I park pretty far away from the door on purpose. We've got a pretty big BS victim culture going on in America these days. It's pathetic.

We've come a long way as a country. I'd say treating the disabled with dignity is a good thing. I'm with you all about griping about the close spaces that were taken when the law first passed. Now, I think it's a great thing. I'm not disabled, yet. I've got arthritis in my right foot. Yet, I'm moving all the time. Eventually, we all lose our mobility.

I've got a close friend in a wheelchair. He's a paraplegic, paralyzed from the waist down. When I was in the Navy, he was competing in wheelchair marathons. He won the L.A. marathon. He took 3rd in Boston.

He drives an F-250 diesel with ranch hand bumpers. If you complained about his driving, he'd tell you off. That or run you over. LOL

He used to call those fat people that drive all over the box stores in the motorized buggies, handi-fats. They ate themselves into that condition.

Long story short, I will give up the front spots and walk. Walk to live. You also never know if the normal looking person has some hidden condition, like heart problems and such. Or they could be picking up their disabled spouse (that would be me taking care of my dying wife for 11 years).

Last edited:
A couple of cherry picked anecdotes doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people scam handicap tags. I guess I really don't care. If people need some sort of lame advantage, go ahead. I park pretty far away from the door on purpose. We've got a pretty big BS victim culture going on in America these days. It's pathetic.
You know that how? I’m guessing you work for the social security administration then.

We've got a pretty big BS victim culture going on in America these days. It's pathetic.
Yeah I've heard some people actually go online and blubber about stores having way too many handicapped parking spaces.

When you're forced to walk an extra 40 feet, you know the struggle is real!

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Yeah I've heard some people actually go online and blubber about stores having way too many handicapped parking spaces.

See? You get it.

Crutch makes a joke and some get their panties in a bunch. Start wagging their fingers because this jokes topic affects THEM personally.
Hopefully they remember this one in some future thread.

What would you put the percentage at?

The ADA needs to go.

Millions of prime parking spots sit empty every day, not getting so much as a drop of oil or anti-freeze on them.

ADVERTISEMENT