ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guns recommendation

Not to start a religious war but I'm not a big fan of 1911's. I'm a smaller dude so that probably a good reason why, but I guess in the limited amount of recommending I do (I'm not exactly the gun nut of my social circle) its not one I throw out there. Lot of guys are looking for good, cheaper guns and its hard to walk away from Glock if that's your thing. Glocks will hold lots o rounds too, which is a plus for a shooter in a stressful situation.

The 1911 is a fine weapon, but it seems like the consensus is that you have to spend some real money to get a good one. Its a pretty complex piece of machinery that only benefits from hand fitting and premium parts which is mucho dinero. Perhaps other people feel otherwise, but that's my take.

This is what I posted earlier in response to the .357 recommendation

I have a .357, a .22 rifle, an AR and a 9mm semiauto handgun. So, no shotgun. I don't hunt. I want a shotgun, but just haven't got one yet. I've got champagne tastes on a beer budget. I have not taken tactical classes. Personally, I would recommend a semiauto 9mm handgun. It's got the capacity, the accuracy and the stopping power.

Now, I'm not poo-pahing the balistics reason for using an AR. But I really can't see me having my AR out and ready to go at a moment's notice. It's something I use once in a while at the gun range. It's for fun and when SHTF. I've got three 30 round magazines for it. No 10 rounds for me. I live in Texas. LOL. For me, it's easiest to move the handgun as I need to.

My .357 is a beast. It's S&W 686 Performance Center with a 2.5" barrel. It's got 7-round capacity, which is good for a revolver. It's got some heft to it as it's an L+ frame. The negative is the weight (which is good for control), but not so maneuverable. The HK feels much more comfortable. It's lighter and has less recoil.

A .45 will hit harder. It's also more difficult to control and has lower capacity. That being said, my next firearm purchase will probably be a Colt 1911. I may have some custom work done on that, depending on the condition of the pistol that I end up purchasing.

As you can see, you have lots to choose from. I would recommend go to the range and renting different caliber firearms and seeing how you like each one. Also, .357 is a lot more expensive to shoot. Followed by .223 (AR), 9mm and .22, from most expensive to least expensive per round. If you live in DFW, you can go to the range with me and try them out.
yQaqdhd.gif
I have a King Cobra 357.

Not to start a religious war but I'm not a big fan of 1911's. I'm a smaller dude so that probably a good reason why, but I guess in the limited amount of recommending I do (I'm not exactly the gun nut of my social circle) its not one I throw out there. Lot of guys are looking for good, cheaper guns and its hard to walk away from Glock if that's your thing. Glocks will hold lots o rounds too, which is a plus for a shooter in a stressful situation.

The 1911 is a fine weapon, but it seems like the consensus is that you have to spend some real money to get a good one. Its a pretty complex piece of machinery that only benefits from hand fitting and premium parts which is mucho dinero. Perhaps other people feel otherwise, but that's my take.

I wouldn't normally recommend a 1911 as a first gun either, even though I do love them. If you aren't going to shoot/clean it often enough to learn about it, it isn't the best option. They are works of art as much as they are weapons, and are a great option if you put the time in to shoot them well.

It used to be alot of money to get quality, but Rock Island Armory (Made in the Philippines) is putting out solid 1911s at very reasonable prices these days. I personally own a Springfield Loaded in stainless, beautiful gun and a solid shooter, but it ran me $750. You can get an RIA for under $500.

Glocks, just my opinion, are the Honda Civic of handguns. They don't so anything particularly great, but they are solid reliable pieces with a MASSIVE aftermarket. My dislike for them is the ergos, in my experience they are about as comfortable to hold as a brick. I like CZs in large part because they are so comfortable. Springfield (XD) and Smith & Wesson (M&P) are both solid competitors to Glock these days. I like the CZ P-10 as well, nice bonus is it fits many Glock 19 holsters with much better ergos and a better trigger.

I wouldn't normally recommend a 1911 as a first gun either, even though I do love them. If you aren't going to shoot/clean it often enough to learn about it, it isn't the best option. They are works of art as much as they are weapons, and are a great option if you put the time in to shoot them well.

It used to be alot of money to get quality, but Rock Island Armory (Made in the Philippines) is putting out solid 1911s at very reasonable prices these days. I personally own a Springfield Loaded in stainless, beautiful gun and a solid shooter, but it ran me $750. You can get an RIA for under $500.

Glocks, just my opinion, are the Honda Civic of handguns. They don't so anything particularly great, but they are solid reliable pieces with a MASSIVE aftermarket. My dislike for them is the ergos, in my experience they are about as comfortable to hold as a brick. I like CZs in large part because they are so comfortable. Springfield (XD) and Smith & Wesson (M&P) are both solid competitors to Glock these days. I like the CZ P-10 as well, nice bonus is it fits many Glock 19 holsters with much better ergos and a better trigger.

Yah I'm not a huge glock fan myself as I'm a snootier buyer with a little more than a beer budget.

I tend to settle around Sig because that's what I learned on. The SEAL teams have tons of them laying around. Seems like every time I want to have a 1911 conversation one of the Jsoc operators is like ooh you should get this or do that or upgrade all this and before I know it it ends up speccing out as a Delta force quality custom weapon for three grand.

I haven't quite gotten that snooty yet but I will someday

Yeah. This. My FFL can find deals on some guns. It's a good resource.

Thanks for reaching out, My family and I spent the day with my brother in Prosper and he let me borrow his 1911 (he’s a huge gun enthusiast and when I showed him this thread he said everyone here “knows their shit”) until this dies down (hopefully- my wife is not a big gun fan- I have a old twelve gauge and 270 and she thinks that’s plenty!! ). Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!

Reactions: jflores
Yah I'm not a huge glock fan myself as I'm a snootier buyer with a little more than a beer budget.

I tend to settle around Sig because that's what I learned on. The SEAL teams have tons of them laying around. Seems like every time I want to have a 1911 conversation one of the Jsoc operators is like ooh you should get this or do that or upgrade all this and before I know it it ends up speccing out as a Delta force quality custom weapon for three grand.

I haven't quite gotten that snooty yet but I will someday

I'm not a HUGE Sig fan but they are nice guns. I think some of them are chunkier than they need to be, but as long as it isn't a concealed carry gun that doesn't really matter (and they have ones more suited to that).

I don't own alot but when I find myself window shopping I'm drawn more to shotguns and rifles. Lot of guys have twelve kinds of handguns but for me I have one or two interest me and I'm good there.

So, re: the handgun under $500 question, thought I'd share this video from on of the guys I follow on Youtube. Good breakdown of some decent budget options.

I’ve got a Gatling Gun behind my front door, an Uzi under my bed and an AK-47 in every sh!tter just in case the riots make their way to the ‘burbs, or when the robots come, or when I know the libruls r gunna take r guns.

Third person posts are underrated.

I don't own alot but when I find myself window shopping I'm drawn more to shotguns and rifles. Lot of guys have twelve kinds of handguns but for me I have one or two interest me and I'm good there.
As far as anybody knows, I don't own any guns....Winking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT