ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guns recommendation

Lot's off good guns under $500, just have to look. Also, no shame in getting used guns or factory refurbs. I have a Sig P320 refurb and it is awesome. It is modular and you can switch calibers pretty easy. That gun is one of my favorites! CDNN, an online store, always seems to have good deals for refurb Sigs, and I actually got mine in Grand Island at Boops.
Is anyone else depressed over what's going on in the world. I was finally feeling positive that this virus situation was under control and then this latest situation.
Feels like one thing after another. Anyway I'm in PA and like you good folks I have guns too. I have my 357 ready and a 12 gauge. Depressing even thinking about having to use these things in some kind of riot situation but this country is really a mess.
God willing this situation calms down but I worry these anarchists won't stop.

Can't tell if you are being serious. lol But yes they would. Have also though about just getting a tazzer, pepper spray, rubber bullets. While I have no problem taking a life to protect my family. I would worry about the potential of jail time. It seems there is a very very fine line on self defense and murder. In the heat of the moment Im not going to care about that line. You come into my house in the middle of the night you are getting shot.

Personal self defense is just that, personal. But I will say that rubber bullets are not a wise strategy for any individual for a variety of reasons.

If you are in the nightmare situation of having to shoot rubber bullets at another human being, you are in a situation where real bullets are required.

Riot police have far more resources, equipment, and training available to them and use them for crowd control, not personal defense.

Is anyone else depressed over what's going on in the world. I was finally feeling positive that this virus situation was under control and then this latest situation.
Feels like one thing after another. Anyway I'm in PA and like you good folks I have guns too. I have my 357 ready and a 12 gauge. Depressing even thinking about having to use these things in some kind of riot situation but this country is really a mess.
Evil feeds evil. We have a ton of evil in this country right now. The evil in the the country are desperate to keep control as they have had it for generations. They feel the power slipping away. Like a cornered animal they are trying anything and everything to cause fear, chaos, and panic. Using the Sheeple as their puppets. It is always darkest before the dawn. I honestly believe we are going to see the Deep State crumble before our eyes and a shakeup to the whole political system as we have known it.

Evil feeds evil. We have a ton of evil in this country right now. The evil in the the country are desperate to keep control as they have had it for generations. They feel the power slipping away. Like a cornered animal they are trying anything and everything to cause fear, chaos, and panic. Using the Sheeple as their puppets. It is always darkest before the dawn. I honestly believe we are going to see the Deep State crumble before our eyes and a shakeup to the whole political system as we have known it.

Not sure if you're serious Clark.

Deep State has at best, a handful of months more of Trump, and at worst 4 years of him.

After that there's no one else even remotely in his image, including Josh Hawley from Missouri.

Trump has gotten very little actual legislation passed. There's nothing he's done that can't be undone by the next set of EO's that overwrite his.

That's sort of the way things have been working now.

Trump also has not groomed a movement or successor. Pence is Establishment. As is everyone else in the Administration. He's now bringing in Rove (A Bushie) to help save his campaign.

Don Jr would be the closest thing to his ornery New Yorker image, but Don Jr probably won't run. Javanka might. But the true patriots don't like Javanka.

Not sure if you're serious Clark.

Deep State has at best, a handful of months more of Trump, and at worst 4 years of him.

After that there's no one else even remotely in his image, including Josh Hawley from Missouri.

Trump has gotten very little actual legislation passed. There's nothing he's done that can't be undone by the next set of EO's that overwrite his.

That's sort of the way things have been working now.
Im Not talking Trump.

We will see if we get a viable third party entrant into this race, then. Because there is nobody in American politics more "establishment" than Joe Biden. And Trump is off the rails.

In my lifetime I have voted for R's and D's for president.

Never have the choices been less appealing than this cycle.

In one corner, the incumbent. An imbalanced, paranoid man, devoid of the ability to communicate with anyone and void of empathy in any form. Signature solutions to all problems are tax cuts and hitting back harder. When you only have a hammer, everything is a nail.

In the other, a Washington insider who spent 40 years on the Hill doing exactly nothing outside of flip flopping on various issues, blowing around like a tumbleweed depending on which way the political winds blew. Signature career accomplishments were to be white enough and Catholic enough to balance Obama's ticket and capture the suburban vote. A man who might not even know he's running for president by November.

We will see if we get a viable third party entrant into this race, then. Because there is nobody in American politics more "establishment" than Joe Biden. And Trump is off the rails.

In my lifetime I have voted for R's and D's for president.

Never have the choices been less appealing than this cycle.

In one corner, the incumbent. An imbalanced, paranoid man, devoid of the ability to communicate with anyone and void of empathy in any form. Signature solutions to all problems are tax cuts and hitting back harder. When you only have a hammer, everything is a nail.

In the other, a Washington insider who spent 40 years on the Hill doing exactly nothing outside of flip flopping on various issues, blowing around like a tumbleweed depending on which way the political winds blew. Signature career accomplishments were to be white enough and Catholic enough to balance Obama's ticket and capture the suburban vote. A man who might not even know he's running for president by November.

Unless the third party is someone like AOC or Bernie, I'm going to wager a third party entrant will ensure a Biden presidency.

No not at all. If you had to recommend a gun for self defense only and under $500 what are my best options, if any? After looking it appears $500 doesn't get much. Or what is the least priced gun you would recommend.

For rifle and shotgun...

Shotgun-
Mossberg 500 Persuader

Rifle-
This AR Lower and This AR Upper
ARs are kind of hard to come by with everything going on, but this is a decent setup for under $500. All you have to do is pop the 2 takedown pins, put the two halves together, and pop the pins back in and you have a complete rifle.

As far as handguns... do you want a Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, Striker Fired, or Single Action as far as semi autos go? Thumb safety or not? Do you want something full sized, mid sized (like Glock 19 size), or compact? Or a revolver?

Last edited:
All this crap going on looking for recommendations for home defense (no dog recommendations please)-

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks
Got a Keltec sub-2000 chambered in 9mm. Also uses Glock magazines. So much fun to shoot. Just don't try to put aluminum cased ammo through it.
I have a High Point carbine in 9 mm as home protection. Too me more useful than a handgun. 20 round magazine w/ back-up mags handy.

And..... Now they have attacked the childrens hospital in Houston.

For all conspiracies..

Every time I start to even give a small amount of legitimacy to some conspiracy, thankfully the logical side of my brain tells myself: Remember how hard it is to get any plan you make to actually turn out? Nothing ever goes as planned. I don't care if it is your kitchen remodel, your career path, or how your date was supposed to go.. it's just not the way things happen in real life.

So how is it that a big conspiracy avoids the pitfalls that every other plan doesn't? Because the conspiracy is not true. Anytime it becomes too easy to connect the dots, consider how difficult it really is to make dots connect in the first place.

Reactions: otismotis08
For all conspiracies..

Every time I start to even give a small amount of legitimacy to some conspiracy, thankfully the logical side of my brain tells myself: Remember how hard it is to get any plan you make to actually turn out? Nothing ever goes as planned. I don't care if it is your kitchen remodel, your career path, or how your date was supposed to go.. it's just not the way things happen in real life.

So how is it that a big conspiracy avoids the pitfalls that every other plan doesn't? Because the conspiracy is not true. Anytime it becomes too easy to connect the dots, consider how difficult it really is to make dots connect in the first place.

Plenty examples out there of conspiracy's that ended up being true. https://www.readersdigest.com.au/tr...nspiracy-theories-actually-turned-out-be-true. Not sure if the Deep State conspiracy is much of conspiracy. I guess it depends how deep one thinks the rabbit hole goes. I believe there is 100% truth to puppet masters behinds the scenes controlling what is done in congress. That involves money and murder.

Last edited:
Plenty examples out there of conspiracy's that ended up being true. https://www.readersdigest.com.au/tr...nspiracy-theories-actually-turned-out-be-true. Not sure if the Deep State conspiracy is much of conspiracy. I guess it depends how deep one things the rabbit hole goes. I believe there is 100% true to puppet masters behinds the scenes controlling what is done in congress. That involves money and murder.

The Iran-Contra affair should give anyone pause when they dismiss something as a conspiracy theory. It kind of blows my mind even to this day that its real.

We talk Israel into selling weapons to Iran, who had already publicly stated that they want to kill all Jews.

We replace the weapons that Israel sold at no cost.

Israel gives the money from the sale to Nicaraguan freedom fighters that were not exactly looking for freedom.

If thats possible, anything is possible.

The only downside to this, is you are sort of inviting this type of thing into your life.

I go back and forth about getting another gun all the time, but somehow feel like if I do, I'm just inviting gun trouble into my life... in whatever form that arises in.
I struggle with this too. I've been thinking about getting a 9mm to bring camping. Don't currently have a handgun, just shotguns and rifles. But I feel like I've never had a reason to bring a gun with so maybe I'll end up in a worse situation. This is backcountry camping. Not Mahoney state park.

I hear you, dingle. But our nation was founded on such protest. And it wasn't peaceful. Don't kid yourself.

So you're comparing a rebellion against a King who endorsed slavery to Anarchist rioting because a criminal lost his life to a bad cop.

Apples to Watermelons. But you already knew that, you have an agenda and will report reality the same way CNN does.

Last edited:
I have a High Point carbine in 9 mm as home protection. Too me more useful than a handgun. 20 round magazine w/ back-up mags handy.

They are ugly but they are just too handy for me to hate, haha. Have you seen the bullpup kit they make for them now? I really like the idea.

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTAMBS95

If I were buying a pistol caliber carbine right now, my preference would be a Ruger PC Carbine. However, I'd be plenty comfortable with a HiPoint 995 especially if I was on a budget.

They were British citizens. I'm pretty sure the British viewed them as thugs who just needed some correction.
You watch the videos you won't find on CNN or MSNBC of people breaking open pallets of bricks that were prestaged for them. Watch them mercilessly beat innocent shop owners and burn their shops. Go see the carnage caused in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul where local black people don't have a grocery store or pharmacy anymore and then try to tell us that the rioters were legitimate protestors. These are anarchists opposed to ALL law. These weren't just thugs. This was organized crime sponsored by the radical left. Watch something besides CNN. Their and MSNBC's portrayal of the violence is despicable and believe me I watched hours of their misleading coverage. They totally ignored the violence and looting.

So your comparing a rebellion against a King who endorsed slavery to Anarchist rioting because a criminal lost his life to a bad cop.

Apples to Watermelons. But you already knew that, you have an agenda and will report reality the same way CNN does.

yes ... who needs a king to endorse slavery when you can just rebel and endorse slavery yourself

You watch the videos you won't find on CNN or MSNBC of people breaking open pallets of bricks that were prestaged for them. Watch them mercilessly beat innocent shop owners and burn their shops. Go see the carnage caused in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul where local black people don't have a grocery store or pharmacy anymore and then try to tell us that the rioters were legitimate protestors. These are anarchists opposed to ALL law. These weren't just thugs. This was organized crime sponsored by the radical left. Watch something besides CNN. Their and MSNBC's portrayal of the violence is despicable and believe me I watched hours of their misleading coverage. They totally ignored the violence and looting.

At some point I hope you stop this partisan nonsense. The OP asks for gun recommendations. Not sure why every ****ing thread has to devolve to hyper partisan bullshit.

At some point I hope you stop this partisan nonsense. The OP asks for gun recommendations. Not sure why every ****ing thread has to devolve to hyper partisan bullshit.

so..... what home defense guns do U recommend?

I mean you could go the Delta force route. Handguns are for plinking and shotguns put down people.

for shits and giggles, I went to a local gun store here in florida this afternoon.. it was jam packed.

I was hoping maybe to find a new firearm purchased at the beginning of the pandemic, now returned and selling for half price. No such luck.

There wasn't much used stuff and most ppl were buying new. Heck, there must have been 25 ppl in that small store.

If you're in the gun business, 2020 has been a good year to you.

for shits and giggles, I went to a local gun store here in florida this afternoon.. it was jam packed.

I was hoping maybe to find a new firearm purchased at the beginning of the pandemic, now returned and selling for half price. No such luck.

There wasn't much used stuff and most ppl were buying new. Heck, there must have been 25 ppl in that small store.

If you're in the gun business, 2020 has been a good year to you.

In all honesty, best route to go right now is order online and have it transferred through a local FFL. I've actually only bought 1 of my firearms in-store, every other one I bought online or was given them by family.

This is what I posted earlier in response to the .357 recommendation

I would recommend a semiauto over a .357. If you don't have the strength to rack the slide, then you are better off with a shotgun. Anyone can use it and you just point in the general direction. It worked for Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies! I have a .357 and it's a beast. But my VP9 is so much more comfortable in my hand and easier to control. It's got the tritium sights so no need to turn on the lights.
pQZ6QaY.png

I have a .357, a .22 rifle, an AR and a 9mm semiauto handgun. So, no shotgun. I don't hunt. I want a shotgun, but just haven't got one yet. I've got champagne tastes on a beer budget. I have not taken tactical classes. Personally, I would recommend a semiauto 9mm handgun. It's got the capacity, the accuracy and the stopping power.

Now, I'm not poo-pahing the balistics reason for using an AR. But I really can't see me having my AR out and ready to go at a moment's notice. It's something I use once in a while at the gun range. It's for fun and when SHTF. I've got three 30 round magazines for it. No 10 rounds for me. I live in Texas. LOL. For me, it's easiest to move the handgun as I need to.

My .357 is a beast. It's S&W 686 Performance Center with a 2.5" barrel. It's got 7-round capacity, which is good for a revolver. It's got some heft to it as it's an L+ frame. The negative is the weight (which is good for control), but not so maneuverable. The HK feels much more comfortable. It's lighter and has less recoil.

A .45 will hit harder. It's also more difficult to control and has lower capacity. That being said, my next firearm purchase will probably be a Colt 1911. I may have some custom work done on that, depending on the condition of the pistol that I end up purchasing.

As you can see, you have lots to choose from. I would recommend go to the range and renting different caliber firearms and seeing how you like each one. Also, .357 is a lot more expensive to shoot. Followed by .223 (AR), 9mm and .22, from most expensive to least expensive per round. If you live in DFW, you can go to the range with me and try them out.
yQaqdhd.gif

Reactions: little a
I didn't make one partisan comment. Anybody with any intelligence can watch MSNBC's or CNN's coverage and tell that they are completely glossing over what is happening in these areas. You're in Texas right? Have you seen the footage of the shop owner getting beaten over the head with a brick in Dallas? Look it up but I will note that you had better have a strong stomach and you'll have to go to a spot I don't and that is either Fox Business's website or Blaze TV. I've watched way too many hours of coverage and read way too many AP, Reuters, USA Today etc stories and the TV coverage on 2 of the major news networks has been despicable. They've done all they can to flame the fire with shameful inaccurate reporting. I'll add that Cuomo on CNN is even dumber than his idiot governor brother.

In all honesty, best route to go right now is order online and have it transferred through a local FFL. I've actually only bought 1 of my firearms in-store, every other one I bought online or was given them by family.
Online to a local FFL has always been my route. If you're in Lincoln though, check our DEGuns. Got an AK from them online years ago. Thrilled with it.

Reactions: bigboxes
Online to a local FFL has always been my route. If you're in Lincoln though, check our DEGuns. Got an AK from them online years ago. Thrilled with it.

DE Guns seems to have pretty decent deals from what I've seen online. Always wanted to check out their storefront but haven't gotten a chance when I've been out. However, I do make a point to stop in Grinell, IA at the Brownell's storefront. I love that place, AND they have free fountain drinks which keeps the wife and son happy while I look around.

Yeah. This. My FFL can find deals on some guns. It's a good resource.

I usually use gun.deals and/or WikiArms when I'm shopping. I've saved myself a boatload of money that way.

I usually use gun.deals and/or WikiArms when I'm shopping. I've saved myself a boatload of money that way.

I compare all of them. GunBroker, guns, etc
Then I run it through my FFL to see if he can beat the price, as he's a dealer.

Last edited:
I compare all of them. GunBroker, guns, etc
Then I run it through my FFL to see if he can beat the price, as he's a dealer.

I do live in Ft. Worth.... do you mind sharing the info as academy, etc.. don’t have much of anything

I didn't make one partisan comment. Anybody with any intelligence can watch MSNBC's or CNN's coverage and tell that they are completely glossing over what is happening in these areas. You're in Texas right? Have you seen the footage of the shop owner getting beaten over the head with a brick in Dallas? Look it up but I will note that you had better have a strong stomach and you'll have to go to a spot I don't and that is either Fox Business's website or Blaze TV. I've watched way too many hours of coverage and read way too many AP, Reuters, USA Today etc stories and the TV coverage on 2 of the major news networks has been despicable. They've done all they can to flame the fire with shameful inaccurate reporting. I'll add that Cuomo on CNN is even dumber than his idiot governor brother.

I agree CNN is going bonkers, or was a couple nights ago. But I watched cnn and fox last friday and it was literally the same coverage. I was flipping back and forth. Someone mentioned cnn wouldnt show looting. That is dead wrong. I watched them show looting multiple times. Saturday seemed to be less actual footage and more commentary from people like Rudy G.

I agree CNN is going bonkers, or was a couple nights ago. But I watched cnn and fox last friday and it was literally the same coverage. I was flipping back and forth. Someone mentioned cnn wouldnt show looting. That is dead wrong. I watched them show looting multiple times. Saturday seemed to be less actual footage and more commentary from people like Rudy G.

People have their beef with the media and they are all jacked. Trump does something dumb, Fox either doesn't have it or slow rolls it, and vice versa for CNN. Eventually they all have the coverage because you can't be a cable news company that doesn't show 30-state riots no matter who it makes look bad.

I'm actually not. I've worked in defense my whole life so bad news and just over the top stuff has been the norm for me.

The key is not to harp on it. Sure, watch the news, see what's going on, but don't just sit and dwell on it. Its the same 10 minutes played over and over again all day. Have an apple, watch the spiel, and move on with life.

Don't get red in the face because Maddow is a liar and this other guy on Fox shouldn't have broke with the POTUS or something. Guys that are at home polishing their guns for hours on the couch just waiting for Maddow to say the wrong thing and they are getting ready for "go time" are more likely to die of a heart attack than to be a hero in any new civil war or whatever. Alot of folks are just working themselves up more than they need to be to plan for their own families future.

Look out for #1.

Reactions: PSUPride1
ADVERTISEMENT