ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guns recommendation

Substitute a 9mm for a. 40 S&W. I like your style. Thats like going from "pew pew" to "KABLAMMO". Its literally the only gun I've shot that intimidated me, but holy crap are they fun.

I don't own a 40 but I've shot them. They aren't terribly unreasonable recoilwise but definitely a noticable difference. I actually find 45 to be my favorite recoil-wise. Stronger recoil overall but doesn't feel as snappy if that makes sense, more of a gradual push than a snap. Certainly none of them are at 10mm levels.

I prefer 9mm for both cost of ammo and capacity. However, in sketchy times 9mm can get hard to find compared to 40. I keep a relatively constant stock to get me by in lean times (still not much by most gun guy standards), but most people don't do that.

I was intimidated by 357 Magnum the first time. Definitely is a big boomer but loads of fun.

I don't own a 40 but I've shot them. They aren't terribly unreasonable recoilwise but definitely a noticable difference. I actually find 45 to be my favorite recoil-wise. Stronger recoil overall but doesn't feel as snappy if that makes sense, more of a gradual push than a snap. Certainly none of them are at 10mm levels.

I prefer 9mm for both cost of ammo and capacity. However, in sketchy times 9mm can get hard to find compared to 40. I keep a relatively constant stock to get me by in lean times (still not much by most gun guy standards), but most people don't do that.

I was intimidated by 357 Magnum the first time. Definitely is a big boomer but loads of fun.
I know what you're talking about with the 'snappy' description. JMO, but even a 44mag doesn't compare to the 40sw in how much power it feels like you just shot.

Kinda fun story about .357 mag: my old man has a 357 revolver and let me shoot it when I was like 10. He put 5 .38s in the chambers and 1 .357 mag. You can probably guess what happened on the 6th shot. I still don't trust him when he asks me to shoot something, lol.

These questions get asked all the time and everyone is going to give you their recommendation based on what they like, not necessarily what's best for you... do yourself a favor and go see my friends at 88 Tactical in Omaha. Take a CCW class and then take their home defender class where they will teach you how to defend your home. A weapon is no good if you don't know how to use it properly & safely.

While there you can try out many different platforms at the range and find the gun that works best for you.

As for Shea or Trevor and tell them you want to learn and that you want taken care of by the best... they'll do a terrific job or you

Reactions: little a
1. If you are a new or inexperienced shooter, go take classes

2. Rent a couple types of each firearm at a range and find what YOU are comfortable with. Semiauto or revolver, pump or semi auto, lever or semi auto. Try multiple calibers. Bigger isnt always better. You can get ideas but ultimately all that matters is what works for you.

3. Have a means to secure it safely especially if you have anyone under 30 in the house.

4. Make sure you understand all local laws on protecting property and the use of force to do so.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 about half a dozen times then go to a reputable local dealer and get something of quality that you hopefully will never use for anything other than target practice.
^^^^^This... Absolutely This!

All this crap going on looking for recommendations for home defense (no dog recommendations please)-

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks

I think the order you have listed is pretty good.
Some of your decision has to be based on where you live. How close are your neighbors? What are your state laws regarding home defense? Do you have the castle law? Are you allowed to defend your property&buildings besides you and your loved one's personal health? Are you in a rural or urban area? Do you own your residence or not? Apartment or home? How defensible is your home to begin with? Are you defending your self and home for 5 seconds or 5 days? How much do you have to worry about having bullets go through a window or wall and hitting a neighbor or car driving by. Then you have to consider collateral property damage. Do you want small holes in your walls/door or large ones. (Small holes means less stopping power, but less destruction in your walls). You have to consider what most likely are you defending against? Crazed drug addicts? Serial Murders? Burgulars? Riots&civil unrest? Invasion? Then you have to consider what is your level of expertise in firearms and how often do you practice those skills?
How easy is it to get ammo and what is the cost? Is what is legal today going to be legal in the future? There are a lot more questions that people could add I am sure.

I went with a home defense shotgun which some also call an assault shotgun. I think you can take the plug out so that it holds 5 shells. It's a shorter barrel so a little more manueverable than a regular shotgun. I don't have to keep practice with it to maintain a skill level like a handgun. I cannot hit the side of a barn with a handgun. The shotgun allows for a larger margin of error which helps at night in a dark bedroom/hallway and when your eyes are blurry and full of sleep. It has the least amount of carry to prevent hurting innocent people. You do have to worry about penetration into other rooms however! It can make huge holes in your walls depending on what you get. So don't forget about that!!! Don't want to shoot through a wall and hit a family member. Depending upon what shells or gauge you go with you can alter your impact/damage/stoppage power so you make it less likely you go through a wall. For me I wanted stopping power so I got a 12 guage with a small box of number 1 shells and also got a box of buckshot for reserve. I bought a very inexpensive weapon that I intend never to use but knowing it's there gives me peace of mind. I also got a bandolier to sling on in case my house is on fire or I have to leave the room to check any outside doors.

I ruled out a rifle because of the carry. To me it's a long range/longer term defensive type weapon that would be better in a rural setting which doesn't fit my home situation. Don't want to hit an innocent. And I know without trying the older I get the less accurate I am as my eyes are going.
More suited for large invasion/civil war type scenarios I think. So it depends upon what scenarios you feel you need to protect yourself against.

Ruled out handgun because I am not steady anymore and I think it takes practice to stay a good shot and like I said I can't hit a barn door. Also if your in a dark room it's harder to be accurate so less room for error. The boom of a shotgun is more likely to be more intimidating to a criminal than a handgun at close quarters??? Plus working the action on a pump is louder than cocking and pretty distinct and that might be enough?

A handguns has lot's of pluses for home defense though as long as your effective with it. Manueverable, easy to store, lots of options. Less damage to walls. (You can still shoot through walls though depending upon what you get...)

Maybe a .410 handgun is the answer....

And for those who have noted that I am weak and old. I would like to remind you that I am still a mean tough bastard who will defend myself as needed.

Also get off my lawn! (This statement is not related to the home defense topic but rather that I am cranky and old.)

==========later addendumt ==========================================
Looks like a ADV1 put out a good post for you. Ignore my post except for the stay off my lawn bit.

Last edited:
They wont let you fail anymore. You get to change your wrong answers at the end. A little disappointed when I saw that.

I'm not sure where you got your information but I can fail anyone. I have taught this class for 13 years since I was 18 and I have never had to fail anyone though. I run a pretty strict class though and can tell when a kid isn't all the way dialed in. The test is easy if your making sure the kids are paying attention. I was always told it was at the teachers discretion. I have found that the only kids that have any problem with the test also have a reading problem and if you take them aside and have them read it to you they do way better.

I’ve got a Gatling Gun behind my front door, an Uzi under my bed and an AK-47 in every sh!tter just in case the riots make their way to the ‘burbs, or when the robots come, or when I know the libruls r gunna take r guns.
Sounds like you got em all

I'm not sure where you got your information but I can fail anyone. I have taught this class for 13 years since I was 18 and I have never had to fail anyone though. I run a pretty strict class though and can tell when a kid isn't all the way dialed in. The test is easy if your making sure the kids are paying attention. I was always told it was at the teachers discretion. I have found that the only kids that have any problem with the test also have a reading problem and if you take them aside and have them read it to you they do way better.
I take groups of kids from Whitetails Unlimited to Hunters Ed every year. They peer grade the tests, and give you an opportunity at the end to correct your wrong answers. Despite before the tests ,the instructor says "how many can you miss? How many bullets can you take back?"

Reactions: dinglefritz
All this crap going on looking for recommendations for home defense (no dog recommendations please)-

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks
870 & 1100 Remmington
5606 S&W 45, GLOCK 41, Sig 365
DDM4V7, Lightweight 700 30.06

that's what I have, and a crossmen pellet gun with a scope :cool:

Last edited:

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks
Answer A: yes
Answer B: all of the above.
Answer C: all of the above but add in a handgun or three.

Reactions: otismotis08
If you have very little experience with guns a defense shotgun would be my first choice. Don’t get a rifle not very practical. What every you get take lessons and explain the situation to your kids.
The new ultralight ARs are really nice to use but for most people a defensive shotgun is probably the best bet. They do make a mess though.

1. If you are a new or inexperienced shooter, go take classes

2. Rent a couple types of each firearm at a range and find what YOU are comfortable with. Semiauto or revolver, pump or semi auto, lever or semi auto. Try multiple calibers. Bigger isnt always better. You can get ideas but ultimately all that matters is what works for you.

3. Have a means to secure it safely especially if you have anyone under 30 in the house.

4. Make sure you understand all local laws on protecting property and the use of force to do so.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 about half a dozen times then go to a reputable local dealer and get something of quality that you hopefully will never use for anything other than target practice.
In the meantime his home has been broken in to, his wife raped and he's dead. Go buy the home defense shotgun today and get them to throw in some range time and lessons as part of the deal. I agree with your sentiment but all of those things should be able to be met by the right dealer. If not, you're shopping in the wrong place.

giphy.gif

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks

Everyone has their own opinion here but home defense is normally close range interaction in which a handgun is most appropriate. I have a Springfield 9mm which has great safety features when/if you get woken up in the middle of the night but my preference is the FN 509 tactical that has night vision sights on it. Smooth gun to shoot. I got a 17, and two 24 round magazines with it.

A Glock

A Kimber

A Henry

And build a bunch of AR's They're cheap if you build them yourself. The glass gets expensive. Buy the drum magazine. You deserve it dammnit.

Oh, Benelli. So many more.

I inherited 2 Winchester model 97 12 gauge shotguns and a Ruger Blackhawk.357.

I had the model model 97s looked at by a gunsmith and both are in good shape. Run some 2 3/4 00 buckshot through them for fun at the range. The model 97 was used by military and police for many years. The Germans protested its use during WWI...It has an exposed hammer and no safety except the shooters good sense.....if you’re not familiar check out a video on YouTube...:)

Everyone has their own opinion here but home defense is normally close range interaction in which a handgun is most appropriate. I have a Springfield 9mm which has great safety features when/if you get woken up in the middle of the night but my preference is the FN 509 tactical that has night vision sights on it. Smooth gun to shoot. I got a 17, and two 24 round magazines with it.

That's kind of my thought process as well. Also, many people don't like to leave a gun loaded and its quicker to load a clip into a 9mm than it is to load a shotgun. Its all personal preference though.

Have a friend who has a gun I had never even heard of and had no idea it even existed....it's a 12guage with a barrel magazine on it that reminds you of Bonnie and Clyde days, it is literally a shotgun machine gun. That would do the trick I'd think.

I do not know how to put a youtube video in here, but this is the link. It also has a bump stock, which if I understand correctly, is not exactly legal now?? Anyway, that is the exact same gun.

You don't have to go out of Omaha to "chalk one up for the good guys". I don't know if that downtown bar owner is a "good guy" or not, but clearly he was within the law by killing the guy who had him in a choke hold. This stupidity has got to stop.:(

I wish more terrorists would get shot in the act personally. I have a good friend who lives in Atlanta who texted me in all caps today cheering that the the guy in Omaha got shot, and celebrating the small business owner who stood up for himself. Made my heart warm.

I wish more terrorists would get shot in the act personally. I have a good friend who lives in Atlanta who texted me in all caps today cheering that the the guy in Omaha got shot, and celebrating the small business owner who stood up for himself. Made my heart warm.
The small shop owners in Dallas and Manhattan who tried to protect their property didn't fare so well. I'm very surprised the guy in Dallas supposedly lived through the bash in the head with a brick. Look it up on Blaze TV or google it if you have a strong stomach. It was so horrific that all of the thugs beating on him fled immediately after than blow was landed. The poor couple in Manhattan should have had guns. They beat both of them with 2x4s striking them repeatedly and breaking several of the boards. The woman got the worst of it and no NONE of these guys caught on cameras were "white nationalists". Susan Rice said that Russia is using the internet to foment anger and I've heard that there are a couple of other foreign adversaries doing the same.

Reactions: RedMyMind
You don't have to go out of Omaha to "chalk one up for the good guys". I don't know if that downtown bar owner is a "good guy" or not, but clearly he was within the law by killing the guy who had him in a choke hold. This stupidity has got to stop.:(
A gun didn't help that situation at all. It wasn't the only contributing factor in that incident, but it was one of them.

double barrel 12 guage. saw it off to minimum legal length or have a gunsmith do it for you. practice, practice, practice. learn to palm 2 or 3 shells in your hand for quick reload, if you get good at this it can become faster than a pump. vicous weapon at close range and a real attention getter.

Yeah from reports of previous actions he was a scumbag but from the video it certainly ended up being self defense

ADVERTISEMENT