ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guns recommendation

little a

Senior
Jul 4, 2001
All this crap going on looking for recommendations for home defense (no dog recommendations please)-

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
1. If you are a new or inexperienced shooter, go take classes

2. Rent a couple types of each firearm at a range and find what YOU are comfortable with. Semiauto or revolver, pump or semi auto, lever or semi auto. Try multiple calibers. Bigger isnt always better. You can get ideas but ultimately all that matters is what works for you.

3. Have a means to secure it safely especially if you have anyone under 30 in the house.

4. Make sure you understand all local laws on protecting property and the use of force to do so.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 about half a dozen times then go to a reputable local dealer and get something of quality that you hopefully will never use for anything other than target practice.

2. Rent a couple types of each firearm at a range and find what YOU are comfortable with. Semiauto or revolver, pump or semi auto, lever or semi auto. Try multiple calibers. Bigger isnt always better. You can get ideas but ultimately all that matters is what works for you.

3. Have a means to secure it safely especially if you have anyone under 30 in the house.

4. Make sure you understand all local laws on protecting property and the use of force to do so.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 about half a dozen times then go to a reputable local dealer and get something of quality that you hopefully will never use for anything other than target practice.

Good list there. Here's what I'd say...

Take your time choosing your first gun. If you don't fully embrace the process, it will never be used. When I say used, that means practicing. Not shooting perps. If you're not fully committed to being a gun owner and shooter, it may be more of a liability to you.

1. Find a friend or family member who can show you the ropes.
2. Have them take you to a gun range and try out as much as you can. Most places will rent all kinds.
3. If you don't know someone, watch lots of youtube videos. Most gun channels are very careful and knowledgeable. Some can be entertaining too. May I recommend "thearmorychannel" ? Pete knows his stuff and his delivery is classic, east-coast humor.
4. Go to a gun show and hold the firearms. The feel in your hands is important. You want it to feel right...like an extension of your hand.
5. Practice practice practice.

And did I mention safety? The gun is always loaded.

Last edited:
Good list there. Here's what I'd say...

Take your time choosing your first gun. If you don't fully embrace the process, it will never be used. When I say used, that means practicing. Not shooting perps. If you're not fully committed to being a gun owner and shooter, it may be more of a liability to you.

1. Find a friend or family member who can show you the ropes.
2. Have them take you to a gun range and try out as much as you can. Most places will rent all kinds.
3. If you don't know someone, watch lots of youtube videos. Most gun channels are very careful and knowledgeable. Some can be entertaining too. May I recommend "thearmorychannel" ? Pete knows his stuff and his delivery is classic, east-coast humor.
4. Go to a gun show and hold the firearms. The feel in your hands is important. You want it to feel right...like an extension of your hand.
5. Practice practice practice.

And did I mention safety? The gun is always loaded.
I will add take hunter safety classes and pass the test

All this crap going on looking for recommendations for home defense (no dog recommendations please)-

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks

Home defense is kind of a no-brainer, get a handgun. 9mm or .45 depending on what you're comfortable with handling in a crisis situation. Even a 22 is enough to deter but doesn't have much stopping power if you're paranoid about that.

Reactions: little a

That’s good advice. Good gun ranges have a ton you can try

I had f good luck with an M60 machine gun in the late 80s but apparently they are frowned upon for private use.

in all seriousness.
Follow the list in the 1st reply.

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks
Went the 9mm route a few years ago. Not a gun enthusiast/collector, so I just bought the cheapest, but well-rated pistol I could find. Went with Taurus. One a double-stack clip, and the other, a slim version, single stack. Both smaller for CC purposes. Both have fired consistently well with mediocre ammo. No jams, stovepipes, etc.

Last edited:
Went the 9mm route a few years ago. Not a gun enthusiast/collector, so I just bought the cheapest, but well-rated pistol I could find. Went with Taurus. One a double-stack magazine, and the other, a slim version, single stack. Both smaller for CC purposes. Both have fired consistently well with mediocre ammo. No jams, stovepipes, etc.

FIFY. Nothing wrong with your choice there.

I’ve got a Gatling Gun behind my front door, an Uzi under my bed and an AK-47 in every sh!tter just in case the riots make their way to the ‘burbs, or when the robots come, or when I know the libruls r gunna take r guns.

Funny you mentioned it, please read

Be safe everyone
#GodBlessOurCountry

Reactions: Nelie67
Shotgun...shotgun...shotgun...

Especially if your inexperienced...my wife was a city girl librul before she wisened up and moved to a farm...

Shotguns are easier to handle and harder to miss...hopefully ANTIFA makes it to central Nebraska so I can see how accurate my wife is...

FIFY. Nothing wrong with your choice there.
Funny- did I stovetops?? I must have been hungrier than I thought. Full on Freudian!Laughing I need to put more rounds through both, and clean...STAT. They have an unusually deep trigger, but I don't mind. Just have to be careful not to over-squeeze and cause inaccuracy.

Funny- did I stovetops?? I must have been hungrier than I thought. Full on Freudian!Laughing I need to put more rounds through both, and clean...STAT. They have an unusually deep trigger, but I don't mind. Just have to be careful not to over-squeeze and cause inaccuracy.
LOL. Accuracy get so much better once you know the break point on your trigger. I've always preferred hammer-fired so that I see the movement occur while training.

LOL. Accuracy get so much better once you know the break point on your trigger. I've always preferred hammer-fired so that I see the movement occur while training.
That makes sense with the hammer. My hands are way too big for the gun. I just have to get the left hand in the game, a bit, on the grip, to prevent the over - squeeze and "slice" to the right.:rolleyes:

Reactions: otismotis08
250 with the back pack too heavy? The good old days of the supersoaker

Back in the day I was the aqua scourge of my little brothers and neighborhood kids. I mastered the "Parthian shot" tactic, although I was on a 10-speed bike not a horse. The 250 left me encumbered, but the range and water output was impressive, especially with the backpack.

For home defense I believe strongly in tactical shotguns, you can even can get them modified to hold as many rounds as an AR15 but you will hit at a much higher rate than an AR.

Records from every police shooting show on average that only 1 in 3 hit their intended target and they are highly trained professionals. Plus a shotgun, even though it is highly destructive, it will not go through two or three walls like a handgun round or AR round which will protect innocent people in your home. JMO

If you have very little experience with guns a defense shotgun would be my first choice. Don’t get a rifle not very practical. What every you get take lessons and explain the situation to your kids.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My personal favorites:
Shotgun-Benelli 12 ga. (I prefer pump action)

pistol- Glock 19. 9 mm very reliable & simple to use

AR 15- Bravo company (lots of police and government agencies use these. Very dependable)
as far as which one I recommend for home defense I’d go with a trusty shotgun with a good light mounted to it.

1) shotgun
2)handgun
3)rifle

thanks

First and foremost, as others have said get training. Know how to operate your firearm safely.

That said, my recommendations... I'm going to list a number for each, which you want would depend on how they fit you and other preferences that you may have... I am only going to list semi auto handguns because that's where most of my experience is. If you want a revolver I can recommend some too but I don't have as much experience with them.

As far as calibers, I'd stay 12 gauge, 9mm, and 223 respectively. Maybe swap 9mm for 40 S&W because 40 has been easier to find lately, but you'll be dealing with more recoil.

Shotgun
Mossberg 500/590
Stevens 320/350
Remington 870

Handgun
Glock (Don't like them personally but they are good guns)
CZ (75B, P-07, P-09, P-10F, P-10C)
Smith & Wesson M&P line
Springfield XD line

Rifle
AR-15 platform rifle (go with a reputable brand)
AK-M (again, research reputable brands)
Ruger PC Carbine (you can get one that will use glock pistol mags)
Keltec Sub 2000
Keltec SU-16
Ruger Mini-14
HiPoint 995 (they are cheap and ugly but they just work)

First and foremost, as others have said get training. Know how to operate your firearm safely.

That said, my recommendations... I'm going to list a number for each, which you want would depend on how they fit you and other preferences that you may have... I am only going to list semi auto handguns because that's where most of my experience is. If you want a revolver I can recommend some too but I don't have as much experience with them.

As far as calibers, I'd stay 12 gauge, 9mm, and 223 respectively. Maybe swap 9mm for 40 S&W because 40 has been easier to find lately, but you'll be dealing with more recoil.

Shotgun
Mossberg 500/590
Stevens 320/350
Remington 870

Handgun
Smith & Wesson M&P line
Springfield XD line

Rifle
Keltec Sub 2000
Keltec SU-16
Ruger Mini-14

Got a Keltec sub-2000 chambered in 9mm. Also uses Glock magazines. So much fun to shoot. Just don't try to put aluminum cased ammo through it.

Got a Keltec sub-2000 chambered in 9mm. Also uses Glock magazines. So much fun to shoot. Just don't try to put aluminum cased ammo through it.

I love the variety of magwell you can get for them. They offer a CZ one which makes it very appealing to me.

If you haven't, I'd recommend checking out M*CARBO, lots of great aftermarket parts and improvements. You can make it a whole different gun.

Reactions: Mack In Motion

Shotgun
Mossberg 500/590
Stevens 320/350
Remington 870

Handgun
Smith & Wesson M&P line
Springfield XD line

Rifle
Keltec Sub 2000
Keltec SU-16
Ruger Mini-14
Great suggestions. Big fan of CZ.

Shotgun
Mossberg 500/590
Stevens 320/350
Remington 870

Handgun
Smith & Wesson M&P line
Springfield XD line

Rifle
Keltec Sub 2000
Keltec SU-16
Ruger Mini-14
Substitute a 9mm for a. 40 S&W. I like your style. Thats like going from "pew pew" to "KABLAMMO". Its literally the only gun I've shot that intimidated me, but holy crap are they fun.

ADVERTISEMENT