ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest NFL Player of all time

Wow, that's a hard question to answer. Joe Montana and Brett Favre would be good answers. Longevity has to be a factor so Bo Jackson is probably out but he's probably the best player to ever play in the NFL. LT is a pretty good choice, plus his PSA in the waterboy about not smoking crack is worth mentioning.

If I had to pick one guy, I would say Ronnie Lott. He encapsulates the violence of the game and also the strategy of making the opponent account for you.

You will all probably pick great players from successful super bowl teams. The player that did it ALL with almost zero help is Walter "Sweetness" Payton.
giphy.gif

Endless debate here. In addition to those already mentioned...Jim Brown?

Also, always interesting to me that Emmitt Smith never shows up on these lists, even though he holds the all-time rushing yard record by a significant margin. Lots of numbers behind a top-noth OL, but not much else. Charisma and style matter in these lists.

Last edited:
I think it is Jerry Rice. He changed the game to a more pass-dominant league. Won four super bowls. Played in another. Played in the most games of any non-kicker or punter. Played the best in the biggest games.

Never got to see Walter Payton play. Bo Jackson has far too short of a career. Barry Sanders didn't have the team success. Can't argue against Lawrence Taylor... Reggie White would be another good pick.

Favre was probably my favorite player but he probably wasn't the "greatest"

Tom Brady probably has the best resume in terms of accomplishments but I'll go with Rice.

Derrick Thomas

He was a freaking beast! Every bit the player Taylor was, and then some IMO

Reactions: Baxter48
so hard to compare.
tom might be, but the pats and belichek are disingenuous.

...then there's my personal all-time favorite: Chuck Muncie. Carried the ball like a loaf of bread. Old school, taped up glasses. Tear-away jersey. What's not to like?

Reactions: resdog851
People that I personally watched and are my greatest players:

Offense: Barry Sanders
Defense: Ray Lewis

Current Greatest Players:
Offense: Pat Mahomes
Defense: Aaron Donald

My current favorite player:

George Kittle - dude plays hard and has him some fun

Imagine if Barry Sanders had Emmitt Smith's OL. Offense --- Sanders / Defense --- Lawrence Taylor

My current favorite player:

George Kittle - dude plays hard and has him some fun

Kittle gets a lot of hate here for obvious reasons but he is damn fun to watch. Probably the best, most complete TE in the game right now, save only for Kelce, and that's debatable. Makes amazing skill plays and blocks like a beast. Not afraid to play hurt and do the dirty work to help his team win.

Outside of the fact that his alma mater sucks, what's not to like?

Hey if LT can have a coke habit and get in so should chuck
Oh I’m not saying coke keeps you out of the Hall. But in Muncie’s case it shortened his career and kept him from ever being a top-level star. Talent-wise he was the whole package.

Last edited:
Jim Brown and it's not even close. He could have played tight end, linebacker, rush end and still been one of the all-time greats. He was 6-2, 230 and ran a 4.5 forty back in the late 50s-mid 60s.

And he's the only player with an entire team named after him.

Gale Sayers would have never had a serious knee injury he would of been one of the greatest..

fwiw, J. Rice (yes, great) didn't change the game - the rules changes to favor WRs changed the game. If you can't have a Lester Hayes then you allow a Jerry Rice so to speak.
As for the question I always liked the Steel Curtain guys, and that #50 guy on the Super Bowl shuffle video was damn good.

Well, when I look at best of all time, I look at physical ability, leadership, longevity and wins! Tom Brady with the Super bowl wins surpassed all! New England would not have won without Tom!! BEST OF ALLTIME!!

John Elway did most with the least went to 5 Super Bowls.

The two Super Bowls that Elway won, he had the best O-Line in the NFL, a great RB in Terrell Davis, and three excellent receivers. The Bronco Defense was very solid both years, and the Broncos also had exceptional Special Teams.

His first three Super Bowls, the Broncos talent gap wasn't that far off of Washington or the NY Giants, those games should have went deep into the 4th quarters. Where the Broncos were at a huge disadvantage was against the 49'ers, and it showed.

Not sure this is fair and people always seem to point this out about Elway. Yes he did have a great supporting cast when they won 2 in a row but it's not like Montana took a bunch of bums to 4 super bowl wins. Just sayin.

The two Super Bowls that Elway won, he had the best O-Line in the NFL, a great RB in Terrell Davis, and three excellent receivers. The Bronco Defense was very solid both years, and the Broncos also had exceptional Special Teams.

His first three Super Bowls, the Broncos talent gap wasn't that far off of Washington or the NY Giants, those games should have went deep into the 4th quarters. Where the Broncos were at a huge disadvantage was against the 49'ers, and it showed.

Not sure this is fair and people always seem to point this out about Elway. Yes he did have a great supporting cast when they won 2 in a row but it's not like Montana took a bunch of bums to 4 super bowl wins. Just sayin.
I think Montana being undefeated in Super Bowls (and winning Super Bowls throughout his career rather than just at the end) probably paints the discussion decidedly in his favor, whereas Elway lost three Super Bowls then won at the end of his career with an excellent supporting cast.

ADVERTISEMENT