ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Goodbye Mrs. Boxes

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

Goodbye Wannie. Until we meet again, my love.
God blessed you with a wonderful soul. Praying for you until you are with her again.

Reactions: bigboxes
You were a very lucky man to find the one. May she rest in peace and you keep her alive in your heart forever.

You know, as much as I post here, that she was getting her own thread.
I rejoice in her "ultimate healing" and promotion to Heaven, but empathize with you on your loss. Hang in there sir, and know there are many sending prayers of comfort and consolation for you and your family. My wife just went through uterine cancer this last yr, but thankfully it was Stage1, and they were able to get it early. Can't imagine what life would be without her. God bless!

Boxes--sure sounds like you loved her intensely and she loved you back with equal intensity. May you take comfort in this for the rest of your days, because there's not much better in life than having truly loved someone and being truly loved in return. That you will miss her so acutely is a testament to your love for her. My thoughts are with you in your time of grief.

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

peace to you and yours, Big.

Boxes, a wonderful life having someone that completed you so well. May all the loving memories stay at the front of your mind. Prayers

I am so sorry for your loss. I will admit it was hard for me to read your post earlier this morning. It sounds like you had the kind of marriage many people can only dream of having.

May you find peace in knowing your wife is waiting for you in a beautiful place. Thoughts/prayers to you and everyone touched by her presence.

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for you, your family and everyone affected by this loss. Hang in there, friend.

I will admit I’m not good at this stuff, whether in person or on an anonymous site. I lost my Mom way too young and I practice avoidance when it comes to dealing with loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I’m truly saddened to hear this and am so very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you amigo.

Boxes, I’m so sorry to hear about your wife’s passing. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you. You have my thoughts and prayers.

My wife was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer in 2018. She lost her first husband and a child to cancer. I mention this because through it all her faith shines like Wannie's. Her upbeat attitude and service to others continues. She looks forward to life on this earth and equally as much to her reward and reuniting with loved ones in heaven.
Bigboxes, I am unable to imagine your grief right now, but I'm sure Wannie's message to you is "All will be well. We will meet again".

Last edited:

So sorry to hear, Boxes. That post made my heart hurt. You obviously have many friends, and I know all of us will be here for you.

Boxes, do you have any type of memorial set up? and if so please post the address on here, some of us might want to contribute to.

Wonderful story thanks for sharing. So sad to hear about your loss. Always remember the good times.

I know there are no words to make you feel better at this time.
My experience with the loss of loved ones, I'm 86 years old and there have been many,
is time diminishes the pain but not the sorrow. Sorrow accompanies the wonderful memories
you will have and I pray in time the memories will win out. It is just difficult, there is no way around it.

I also know you most likely have been pre-grieving and your reactions and feelings may be totally different than some.

You are correct. I have been pre-grieving for over a year. Most likely a year and a half. I was trying to say goodbye and Wannie stubbornly held on. It was hard to watch. Amazing strength through Christ. I have never known anyone that suffered so much for so long.

She was married at 24. By 25, she had a hysterectomy and had her last ovary removed. So, that was no kids for us. I am close to finishing the purging and have been going through her notebooks where she wrote her notes on her health. I had forgotten about her carpal tunnel from doing data entry. She couldn't work for two years after that. Whenever I feel that life sucks or just isn't fair, I think of Wannie.

We're getting close to two months now. I loved reading all these posts again! If only we could be this united when it comes to the Huskers. :D

I think of you often, good friend...I NEED to ask you more often how you are doing. Blessings and comfort....

May God be with you and your family in your time of need.

You waited until the day before Valentines Day to return to this thread. I hope you know Boxes that you know how to make a grown man cry at his desk. Prayers to your entire family.

You waited until the day before Valentines Day to return to this thread. I hope you know Boxes that you know how to make a grown man cry at his desk. Prayers to your entire family.

You think you are crying? I thought it was all out of me. Then I read her letters. You can see she already had my back. She forwarded correspondence from the university so that I would be ready to roll once I got out of the Navy. She's also writing of her anticipation of our reunion. That was a hard read.

Last edited:

Prayers with you my brother.

Holla

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT