OT: Good reads

Husker Todd

Senior
Jan 13, 2015
A couple of True Crime books that I just read and enjoyed

81XMxzljGaL.jpg

This one was written by the author of “Black Hawk Down”

61DmO-G5h5L.jpg

If anyone has a few, I’m always looking for suggestions. Historical Non-fiction, True Crime, World Wars. I haven’t read any Vietnam era stuff but if anyone has any suggestions, I’m interested in reading about the Vietnam War. I read Fiction as well, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers and Mystery/ Suspense.

I have mentioned this book before.

One Second After by William Forstchen

Its amazing. Keep you up at night amazing.

The second and thirds books are just ok. The first one is just amazing.

If you want something a little different , sort of sci fi but not really, look for a book called Einsteins Dreams by Alan Lightman

If you want something a little different , sort of sci fi but not really, look for a book called Einsteins Dreams by Alan Lightman

Thanks! My library had four copies of One Second After, but all were checked out. I’ve reserved a copy, when one of them is returned. My library doesn’t have Einstein’s Dreams, so I’ll have to buy a copy or find it somewhere else. They did have three of Alan Lightman’s other novels.

Reactions: Winston Smith 84
If you like history and don’t mind advice that is not exactly what you’re asking for, Dan Carlin’s ‘Hardcore History’ podcast is really, really good. The World War 1 series specifically.

It’s basically an audiobook that goes through the entire Western front of the war. It’s amazing.

I know it’s not a book, but it’s great listening while driving/cooking/etc.

If you like history and don’t mind advice that is not exactly what you’re asking for, Dan Carlin’s ‘Hardcore History’ podcast is really, really good. The World War 1 series specifically.

It’s basically an audiobook that goes through the entire Western front of the war. It’s amazing.

He has so many good ones. I really enjoyed the recent one about Japan. The Genghis Khan series was good, too, just WAY too long IMO (but that's what you get with Carlin is a deep dive).

Two great reads over the summer:

In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides (the search for a Northwest Passage in 1879 gets stuck in the ice north of Siberia)

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou (a silicon valley start-up is the largest business fraud since Enron...a WSJ reporter brings down Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos)

I like a good listen. Specially when I’m at work, helps me get through the day.

If anyone has a few, I’m always looking for suggestions. Historical Non-fiction, True Crime, World Wars. I haven’t read any Vietnam era stuff but if anyone has any suggestions, I’m interested in reading about the Vietnam War. I read Fiction as well, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers and Mystery/ Suspense.

The Dark Tower series and The Stand are iconic stuff for King.

Reactions: Husker Todd
If you like WW2 books, 2 of my favorites:

517muZVn2EL.jpg

9111iJf1ZJL.jpg

Unbroken is one of the best books I have read. I’ll have to check out In Harm’s Way sounds like a good read.

Double Cross by Ben Macintyre is a good one, it’s the true story of the D-Day spies.

1861: The Civil War Awakening by Adam Goodheart, was another I enjoyed.

Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre, is another good one about WWII espionage.

Manhunt by James L. Swanson, this is about the 12 day search for John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of President Lincoln.

Unbroken is one of the best books I have read. I’ll have to check out In Harm’s Way sounds like a good read.

Double Cross by Ben Macintyre is a good one, it’s the true story of the D-Day spies.

1861: The Civil War Awakening by Adam Goodheart, was another I enjoyed.

Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre, is another good one about WWII espionage.

Manhunt by James L. Swanson, this is about the 12 day search for John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of President Lincoln.
Thanks for the recommendations. Double Cross in particular interests me.

Horns is also good imo.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill was pretty good as well. If you haven’t already watched the movie based on Horns, count yourself lucky and avoid it. The book was good, the movie not so much. I watched the first episode of the TV series NOS4A2 last night, not sure yet what I think, have to dive into a few more episodes to get a feel for it.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill was pretty good as well. If you haven’t already watched the movie based on Horns, count yourself lucky and avoid it. The book was good, the movie not so much. I watched the first episode of the TV series NOS4A2 last night, not sure yet what I think, have to dive into a few more episodes to get a feel for it.

I didn't know it was becoming a series. The best tv shows have the backbone of books imo.

Is it on FX?

I didn't know it was becoming a series. The best tv shows have the backbone of books imo.

Is it on FX?

It’s on AMC, the whole season has already aired but I think you can watch it on demand if your cable provider has AMC. Which my TV provider does not, in which case you can pay for AMC Premiere and stream the episodes. But if you have some time on your hands, you can do the 7 day free trial and marathon the episodes then cancel before they charge you.

As for Dune, I need to read that one.

Just got an email notification that One Second After became available, opened my e-reader and it was downloading. I finished Killers of the Flower Moon today and didn’t have a clue what to read. I’ve got 4 other books on hold I’m waiting for, the closest one is an estimated 5 weeks from being available. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Thanks again everyone for the book recommendations, I’ll check in tomorrow, see what other books have been suggested to add to my list.

Gawl Dang I love me some historical nonfiction books.

Endurance: Shackletons incredible voyage by alfred lansing needs to me emphasized. Simply amazing. Phenomenal. Unbelievable. I read it twice and dont think I put it down much either time, sad its over kind of deal. That was the dudes only book, too, which is a shame because its so well written. Get this book but read in winter.

Keeping with boats, “Dead Wake” by Erik Larson. Lusitania. Excellent.

Empire of the Summer Moon by Gwyne is brutally fantastic. I love indian books, ive read countless, but that one is your best place to start.

Shelby Foote’s The Civil War trilogy is very unique and detailed. Foote is an excellent writer and historian.

Check out Jack Hinson’s One Man War by mkeeney(?) about a rogue civil war sniper. Its a lesser known book about an obscure aspect of the war. Ive read a ton of Civil War as well and this one is a unique but important story, easy read.

Im sure youve read Adams....if not....well, why not?

Road to Serfdom by Hayek is dry but brilliant. In the same economic tone try Basic Economics by the genius Thomas Sowell. Man that dude can explain everything in simple yet smart terms.

Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen is life changing. Best look at Jesus out there, imo.

Ever see The Revenant? The book, NOT the fiction one the movie is after, but the real historical biography of Hugh Glass is a great read. What a mountain man, cant believe he wasn't always the most famous. And what a journey! Id like another movie done that follows the real story. The Saga of Hugh Glass by John Myers Myers. Check it out.

Ill stop there as Ive already overdone it Im sure.

Gawl Dang I love me some historical nonfiction books.

Endurance: Shackletons incredible voyage by alfred lansing needs to me emphasized. Simply amazing. Phenomenal. Unbelievable. I read it twice and dont think I put it down much either time, sad its over kind of deal. That was the dudes only book, too, which is a shame because its so well written. Get this book but read in winter.

Keeping with boats, “Dead Wake” by Erik Larson. Lusitania. Excellent.

Empire of the Summer Moon by Gwyne is brutally fantastic. I love indian books, ive read countless, but that one is your best place to start.

Shelby Foote’s The Civil War trilogy is very unique and detailed. Foote is an excellent writer and historian.

Check out Jack Hinson’s One Man War by mkeeney(?) about a rogue civil war sniper. Its a lesser known book about an obscure aspect of the war. Ive read a ton of Civil War as well and this one is a unique but important story, easy read.

Im sure youve read Adams....if not....well, why not?

Road to Serfdom by Hayek is dry but brilliant. In the same economic tone try Basic Economics by the genius Thomas Sowell. Man that dude can explain everything in simple yet smart terms.

Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen is life changing. Best look at Jesus out there, imo.

Ever see The Revenant? The book, NOT the fiction one the movie is after, but the real historical biography of Hugh Glass is a great read. What a mountain man, cant believe he wasn't always the most famous. And what a journey! Id like another movie done that follows the real story. The Saga of Hugh Glass by John Myers Myers. Check it out.

Ill stop there as Ive already overdone it Im sure.

Erik Larson is a phenomenal writer, The Devil In The White City, In The Garden Of Beasts, Thunderstruck and Dead Wake as you mentioned. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn’t read his books should check him out, he does not disappoint. As for the others you list, there looks like a lot of good reads in there and I will add them to my list. Thanks!

I promise I am signing off now, going to dive into this book I just received and see what it is all about. Goodnight fellow Cornhuskers and happy reading. GBR!

Lotta good books mentioned above! I really enjoyed “The Boys in the Boat” awhile back.

Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel was a fascinating read. Yes, it is about crime, but it is more about how and why someone lived in the woods of Maine for 27 years.

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of WW2 by Mitchell Zuckoff. Plane of men and women in US military crash in an unreached part of New Guinea. A few survive and try to survive among tribes of cannibals. Sounds like a far-fetched story, but it really happened.

He has so many good ones. I really enjoyed the recent one about Japan. The Genghis Khan series was good, too, just WAY too long IMO (but that's what you get with Carlin is a deep dive).

I’m on the second part of the Japan one. It is really good.

The Celtic Holocaust was good, but just not as good. And the Sparta (king of kings) one was way too much context and I couldn’t get through the first episode. Way too many tribes and ‘characters’ to keep straight. And the context wasn’t keeping my attention.

But my favorite was WWI (Blueprint for Armageddon). Part of it was that it was easier to understand for me because I already had a base level knowledge. I knew the ‘characters.’ The other part is that it was just incredibly well done and interesting. Highly suggest.

I don't do a lot of nonfiction reading....... but you may like "Undaunted Courage" if you are into historical exploration of America. An in depth account of Lewis and Clark's journey.

shopping

IF you are wanting something completely different and an amazing read, especially the last half, I would recommend "She has her Mother's Laugh" by Carl Zimmer. It has just enough science to keep me interested!

shopping

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of WW2 by Mitchell Zuckoff. Plane of men and women in US military crash in an unreached part of New Guinea. A few survive and try to survive among tribes of cannibals. Sounds like a far-fetched story, but it really happened.
I forgot about this one.. it is a REALLY amazing story.

Reactions: artguy68
"I Heard You Paint Houses" is really good...its about Frank Sheeran, who claims that he killed Jimmy Hoffa for the mob. It's currently being made into a movie directed by Scorsese starring Pacino, Pesci and DeNiro

HARDCORE HISTORY PODCAST

Dan Carlin - Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon series (WWI)
Dan Carlin - Hardcore History - Ghosts of the Ostfrost series (WWII - Germany - Soviet Union Conflict)

hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-by-dan-carlin-350x350.jpg
HH-30.5-700x700-350x350.jpg

Last edited:

If you like "One Second After" you should really check out the "Going Home" series by A. American... Same premise but a lot more detail and there's 10 books so far... the author is a friend of mine and they are GREAT!

Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel was a fascinating read. Yes, it is about crime, but it is more about how and why someone lived in the woods of Maine for 27 years.

I have not been able to get to Lost in Shanghai-La yet, but it’s on my list of books to read. I’ll check out Stranger in the Woods as well.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this one. Fascinating life story of a great and complicated American.

I see this one every now and then and have wondered about it, based on your recommendation I’ll add it too my list of must reads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT