ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting harder to watch Royals games

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
Getting pretty excited for baseball, but man they're making it hard to watch Royals or other teams on regional networks. The way I understand it is NONE of the streaming services will be carrying FSKC this season. Dish Network either, not that I'd enter into a contract for that garbage. I guess maybe it's available on DTV, but there is no way in hell I'm getting back in that nonsense either. So my choices would be to subscribe to local Spectrum (gag) or???

Anyone have any experience with using a VPN to get around blackouts? I'd probably subscribe to mlb.tv and a VPN if anyone can tell me its a good workaround. Any suggestions on a good VPN? Nord? I hope I live long enough to see the end to blackouts. I literally can't believe its still a thing.

In Iowa City, I can't even get the Royals on cable despite the entire state being in the Royals' territory. MLB.TV blacks out the Royals here as well. Local cable is all Cubs/White Sox with some Cardinals throw in. Can't stand any of them, but at least I can mute the sound when the Royals play the White Sox and Cards. Last year, with Hulu, I got the Royals, Brewers and Twins in addition to the execrable teams mentioned earlier.

MLB's blackout rules are incredibly stupid. I have a cable package that includes the local team, but the only time I can stream their games on my phone or laptop is when I'm on my in-home wifi. Of course this is the last time I would want to watch a game on my phone, since I already have a TV in front of me.

This is the sport that loves to complain about how hard it is to attract younger fans, yet the only time the MLB overlords will allow you to watch your hometown team is when you are planted on your sofa.

You guys are correct that MLB rules are just stupid. I do subscribe to DirecTV and get the MLB package. The package is awesome if you don't mind paying monthly fees for overpriced equipment and channels you will never watch. I use the happiness factor and forget the money and enjoy the games. To me its worth it.

Bally’s Sports app will carry Royals games this season. The app is supposed to go live by opening day. I think your provider has to carry FSKC in order for you to get it, though.

Bally’s app is replacing the Fox Sports Go app

Bally’s Sports app will carry Royals games this season. The app is supposed to go live by opening day. I think your provider has to carry FSKC in order for you to get it, though.

Bally’s app is replacing the Fox Sports Go app
I did read an article about this, and yes your provider has to carry FSKC in order to get it. The same article said that next year they plan to offer the Bally's app to everyone, but I wonder whether the blackout rules will also apply?

In Iowa City, I can't even get the Royals on cable despite the entire state being in the Royals' territory. MLB.TV blacks out the Royals here as well. Local cable is all Cubs/White Sox with some Cardinals throw in. Can't stand any of them, but at least I can mute the sound when the Royals play the White Sox and Cards. Last year, with Hulu, I got the Royals, Brewers and Twins in addition to the execrable teams mentioned earlier.
Yes my thoughts are that you would be in the chicago market in eastern iowa anyway

Yes my thoughts are that you would be in the chicago market in eastern iowa anyway
We're officially part of the Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Brewers, Royals and Cardinals markets. In western Iowa, the cable networks have Fox Sports KC, but in eastern Iowa, it's FS Midwest (Cards) or FS North (Twins, Brewers) plus the NBC Sports Chicago (White Sox and Cubs). Yet MLB blacks out the Royals, leaving us in No-Royals-Land. It's frustrating right now, but I'm hoping Hulu resumes what they had the last two years, which is the FSKC along with the other FS regionals and Chicago regionals. Of course, Bally/Sinclair bought up the Fox Sports regionals and is re-branding them, but right now there's no streaming or cable option in eastern Iowa for the Royals.

Same situation, I live in the IC area also. Dish was in dispute with the regionals and MLB has blackouts of about 6 teams in this area. I do have friends that use the VPN trick and they say it works well . I think Youtube TV had them all and lost them like Dish not long ago.

MLB needs to figure this out as they are killing their own business and future.

Reactions: saluno22 and 9and4
Really thought they would get this figured out for streaming services by now. Nope. I love the Royals, and love watching baseball, but I don't think I can stomach jumping back into cable or switching to ATT TV just so I can drop to my knees for the big men.

Two days to get their stuff together, or it's time to dust off the radio.

Really thought they would get this figured out for streaming services by now. Nope. I love the Royals, and love watching baseball, but I don't think I can stomach jumping back into cable or switching to ATT TV just so I can drop to my knees for the big men.

Two days to get their stuff together, or it's time to dust off the radio.
I dropped to my knees. Cancelled YTTV and subscribed to ATT TV just so I can watch the Royals. $20 more per month, and get this: no ability to rewind or FF live tv if you stream through their app! As only ATT can, they want to stick it in a little deeper and get you to buy or rent their device for those functions. And the device requires a 2 year contract, which I ain't doing. At the end of September I'll cancel ATT TV and go back to YTTV for sure. It shouldn't be this hard to watch your team in 2021.

it has been nearly 2 years of Denver residents being blacked out locally for Avs/Nuggets games

stuff like this is insanely lame

Reactions: Tunnelwalkin15
Royals are an interesting team this year and should be competitive.

TV anymore is like a shell game and I am kind of tired of it.

Reactions: Tunnelwalkin15
I dropped to my knees. Cancelled YTTV and subscribed to ATT TV just so I can watch the Royals. $20 more per month, and get this: no ability to rewind or FF live tv if you stream through their app! As only ATT can, they want to stick it in a little deeper and get you to buy or rent their device for those functions. And the device requires a 2 year contract, which I ain't doing. At the end of September I'll cancel ATT TV and go back to YTTV for sure. It shouldn't be this hard to watch your team in 2021.
I'm about to do the same thing. Hate it.

Reactions: mgbreis
Royals didn't even make it to the first game before having to place one of their starters on injured reserve. Sounds like Mondesi is going on the 10 day DL. Lopez called back up. Crap

anyone interested in fantasy baseball? trying to find 1-2 owners for a great roto league

let me know, go royals!

Royals didn't even make it to the first game before having to place one of their starters on injured reserve. Sounds like Mondesi is going on the 10 day DL. Lopez called back up. Crap
Not good news, oblique injuries seem to take forever to heal and can ruin entire seasons for hitters.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
From what I heard it was a very quiet transition but the Royals got sold a while back. Maybe this is old news. That may have something to do with it.

From what I heard it was a very quiet transition but the Royals got sold a while back. Maybe this is old news. That may have something to do with it.

Has nothing to do with it. This is an MLB-TV issue and a fight between YTTV/Hulu and Sinclair (which owns the Bally/Fox networks.

Reactions: sparky62
ADVERTISEMENT