ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Garth in Memorial Stadium August 14th

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
I’ll let someone else provide the link, but for those that enjoy his music, Mr Garth will be performing in Memorial Stadium on August 14th.
What’s next, beer sold in the stadium? Lol.
GBR!

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I’ll let someone else provide the link, but for those that enjoy his music, Mr Garth will be performing in Memorial Stadium on August 14th.
GBR!
I saw Willie Nelson was coming to Pinewood Bowl. Dude still touring? Weed must help you live longer. 😆He's 88 for ****s sake!!

Last edited:
0*crni9JJkQaRcuG-e.jpg

GBR!
Revenue wise they are saying it will be bigger money than another home game. 10 to 15 million for the city. Much needed.

I dont even care for his music, but its going to be a party, so ill be there. Just hope its safe!

He sold out Notre Dame stadium when it was like 30 degrees out if I'm not mistaken. People line up for that guy no matter the locale or temperature.

Im shocked Memorial isnt used more often for summer concerts
Sacred ground.
I could be misremembering the details,and it could be strictly a rumor, but in either ‘78 or ‘81 the tour promoter for the Stones approached Bob Devaney for a possible concert date in Memorial Stadium and was essentially told “We’ll pass”. Bob was concerned of possible damage to the turf apparently.

Story about Garth's visit to NU in the 90's. He's a huge Okie State fan and college football fan. So he visits NU and throws some short passes to the receivers during practice. While the team is gathered around him at the end of practice. Dr. Tom asks him if he would like to say anything to the team. Garth shakes his head and says "no". Dr. Tom, in his typical deadpan voice, says... "I understand. I know you aren't used to speaking in front of big crowds".

Story about Garth's visit to NU in the 90's. He's a huge Okie State fan and college football fan. So he visits NU and throws some short passes to the receivers during practice. While the team is gathered around him at the end of practice. Dr. Tom asks him if he would like to say anything to the team. Garth shakes his head and says "no". Dr. Tom, in his typical deadpan voice, says... "I understand. I know you aren't used to speaking in front of big crowds".
My recollection is that Garth was a three-sport athlete in high school and quite good. He threw the javelin at OSU and I've been told he finished dead last in the 1980 Big 8 outdoor meet, held on Lincoln I believe. But he's done OK since

Do Not see Willie, I saw him 2 years ago here in texas and it was awful, and I’m a huge willie fan.
I saw Willie in 2017. He had been sick and I was expecting awful. It was a bucket list thing for me. I saw him in November 2017 @ Billy Bob's. He was great! Maybe I just got lucky.

Garth would be awesome in concert. I remember when they blasted Friends in Low Places at the Little Haifa Pub in Israel. It was right after Back In Black. For a few minutes it was like I wasn't in the Navy. Kind of like finding a good burger overseas. It's priceless.

I saw Garth at The Wynn in Vegas. Only about 500 people in the auditorium. It was the best concert I’ve ever been to. He had a pre-set, set but later interacted with the audience and “took (his music) requests” and gave some background about how the writing of the music came about. It was pretty amazing.

Sacred ground.
I could be misremembering the details,and it could be strictly a rumor, but in either ‘78 or ‘81 the tour promoter for the Stones approached Bob Devaney for a possible concert date in Memorial Stadium and was essentially told “We’ll pass”. Bob was concerned of possible damage to the turf apparently.
Yup and they took that tour to Ames. What a party! Took 3 hours to get out of town that night

Sacred ground.
More likely that was it..Back then astroturf wasn’t like field turf we have presently and burning cigarettes and joints down on field would have made the field a bit messy not to mention urine on field as well..

Sacred ground.
Man thats dumb, Utah has supercross

I saw Willie in 2017. He had been sick and I was expecting awful. It was a bucket list thing for me. I saw him in November 2017 @ Billy Bob's. He was great! Maybe I just got lucky.

Maybe we saw the same concert and had differing opinions...I’ve seen willie about 10 times over a 25 year period. The last one his voice was very frail and weak and it felt very rushed then gone. But hey, still love the guy but will I not pay again

Maybe we saw the same concert and had differing opinions...I’ve seen willie about 10 times over a 25 year period. The last one his voice was very frail and weak and it felt very rushed then gone. But hey, still love the guy but will I not pay again
You said two years ago. I saw him in 2017. He had health issues and had cancelled shows while he was recovering. I was worried that he would sound exactly like you described. Instead, he was sang great and played a full set. Most likely you saw a different night. Ten times, huh? Lucky!

I should probably go see Garth but one of my favorite bands Shinedown is in Sioux City the same night.

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I've seen Garth twice in concert. He's a great performer!!

ADVERTISEMENT