ADVERTISEMENT

OT--Friday Night at the CHI in Omaha

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
Even if you aren't a huge fan of wrestling, I would highly recommend the semi finals of state wrestling. It is the, thee, best high school sporting event on the calendar in Nebraska. Fifteen thousand fans, from all 4 classes, in the same building, all at once. I am envious of any of you who are able to attend! It is truly one of the pinnacles of sports in Nebraska!

How’s meridians guys doing?

A medalist with Haverluck...... He is an underdog in the semis, coming up here in an hour, but is guaranteed at least 6th place. The other two are out. Barton is ooooohhh so close, hopefully he continues to improve and medals as a senior!

Even if you aren't a huge fan of wrestling, I would highly recommend the semi finals of state wrestling. It is the, thee, best high school sporting event on the calendar in Nebraska. Fifteen thousand fans, from all 4 classes, in the same building, all at once. I am envious of any of you who are able to attend! It is truly one of the pinnacles of sports in Nebraska!

Looks like consolation matches have finished. Finals start at 2:00pm (CST) on NET.

Millard South (A), Hastings (B), David City (C), and Plainview (D) are leading the team races. I haven't done any projections but I don't think any of those teams can be overtaken.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Dumb question. In class D 106#, how does Plainview have 3rd place and runner up???

Dumb question. In class D 106#, how does Plainview have 3rd place and runner up???

Its only for class D as of now.....

Because of low numbers of wrestlers on some teams, districts were not always very populated. (Example: having 18 teams at districts but only having 7 kids at 113lbs for example and only 3 of those with winning records) They decided last year to give a model a try that allows two wrestlers per team at a weight class. I think it is great! Promotes less weight cutting and allows teams to be creative with how they think about their district entries. A lot of smaller states (like MT) have something similar, as does NAIA for college. Its kinda like Meridian or Deshler having two pole vaulters being able to qualify for State Track...... kinda. I hope to see it expand to class C soon!

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim

Because of low numbers of wrestlers on some teams, districts were not always very populated. (Example: having 18 teams at districts but only having 7 kids at 113lbs for example and only 3 of those with winning records) They decided last year to give a model a try that allows two wrestlers per team at a weight class. I think it is great! Promotes less weight cutting and allows teams to be creative with how they think about their district entries. A lot of smaller states (like MT) have something similar, as does NAIA for college. Its kinda like Meridian or Deshler having two pole vaulters being able to qualify for State Track...... kinda. I hope to see it expand to class C soon!
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. How long ago did they change this?

One more quick clarification, only 1 kid counts toward the team score. Coaches have to designate which kid will count.

i love going to the semi finals. I think the atmosphere is as good or better than the finals. Hearing “We Are The Champions” as the wrestlers walk on the mat is pretty awesome. I get pretty choked up as I had a son wrestle in the finals a few years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT