ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Four Teens Die in Car Accident Near Gretna

they should have a fun race track kids over 16 can get drunk at and speed round the track, have helmets. safety cages, no ditches trees or telephone poles etc.
giphy.gif

they should have a fun race track kids over 16 can get drunk at and speed round the track, have helmets. safety cages, no ditches trees or telephone poles etc.
Wow, a thread about 4 dead teenagers who had been drinking and you have a post about drunk racing for teenagers... seriously?

Caught wind from a friend on the scene of the accident. Something that you couldn't make up.

The insurance side of things is what is going to really see just how strong Gretna is. Typically insurance will pay out for survivors first, not the deceased. We'll see how that goes over with the families of the deceased. This will test friendships.

On a positive note, I heard the big fundraiser last week raised north of 150k for the families. Simply amazing.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Caught wind from a friend on the scene of the accident. Something that you couldn't make up.

The insurance side of things is what is going to really see just how strong Gretna is. Typically insurance will pay out for survivors first, not the deceased. We'll see how that goes over with the families of the deceased. This will test friendships.

On a positive note, I heard the big fundraiser last week raised north of 150k for the families. Simply amazing.

There won't be enough insurance to cover this unless this girl/family is in the super minority. Nebraska, like many other states, let's you drive with limits that don't come close to covering this kind of thing. Many people don't understand there are limits, take California for example, you can drive there and not carry enough coverage to buy a new headlamp for a new Mercedes, should you get in a wreck.

Many people who experience a wreck in a low limit state spend the rest of their life bitching about how the ins company screwed them, but in reality their exposure is limited to the policy limits.

Most likely the drivers ins company will cough up their max exposure and the courts will figure out who gets what and the families involved will have to fall back on their ins in the meantime to cover all the medical bills (I'm assuming there are a tone of medical bills here). Then the ins companies will subrogate (fancy name for fight) over this and who gets what at the end. Then it will be up to the families to decide if they go after the drivers family and sue them for the rest, or their ins company will make that decision for them if they end up paying out because the drivers family didn't carry enough insurance. Yucky deal all the way around.

Last edited:

Yes, amazing.

Hey Gretna, have you heard any update on how the investigation is going on this thing? I haven't seen anything in a long time and tried to search it but didn't come up with anything recent.

No idea on the investigation. Haven’t heard anything on that front other than rumors.

The girl who survived is doing as well as to be expected. They are good people and they are carrying a tremendous weight.

I don’t personally know the other families so I’m not sure how they’re doing. I can’t imagine how hard this holiday season is for them. I hope all the prayers that read this keep all the families in their prayers, at least through Christmas. This has to be a horrible, horrible tome for them.

Just saw a story the other day regarding some sort of fund-raiser going on, they mentioned that the investigation is still open and there is a $14k reward for info. I think the investigation hit a wall a long time ago, nobody is talking about who provided/obtained the booze. I heard a long time ago the name of who allegedly supplied it, but like I said, no one who really knows is talking, and some of the parties allegedly involved have lawyers.

The dance team performed last week and the coach gave a little speech about the inspiration behind the music. At the end, they had he dancers lined up for the grand finale and had four gaps in the line. Many of the parents of the deceased were there too.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
The Sarpy County Sheriff and District Attorney will have a joint press conference on Monday.

It will be interesting to see if anyone -- like parents -- will face any charges.

They are. Extremely sad. Something similar happened to Gretna a dozen or so years ago, except it was boys. It is devastating.

Me Best friend was in that accident back in 03! Was suppose to be with them that night but got in trouble and couldn't go! Crazy how life works!

Some of the parents are now suing the County blaming the design of the road. Kinda ballsy
I sort of figured it would happen and I sort of figured it would take a few years for them to pull the trigger on this.

I get it, I do, I suppose as time went by and had this happened to my family I would do the same.

But if the reports were true, that these kids were drinking/drunk and driving recklessly, I have a hard time thinking the families should be in the right.

An inexperienced driver traveling at night, a BAC .07 over legal (in Nebraska under 21 is .02) and traveling 90 MPH. I don't see how they can win that one, but with courts being the way they are now, who knows?
Courts? I would assume a jury trial so a jury, not a judge would likely decide this.

There was another 4-fatality accident outside of Scribner on 275 on Thursday. A family of four from Fremont died in the accident.

• Wow
Reactions: scarletred
There was another 4-fatality accident outside of Scribner on 275 on Thursday. A family of four from Fremont died in the accident.
No word on involvement of alcohol -- probably not due to the morning hour of the crash. But the driver attempted to pass another vehicle and crashed head on with a semi.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
What exactly does this road look like that makes it so dangerous?

Last edited:
I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I guess I figured since the jury box is in the court room, they are part of "the court".
Jury trials tend to be more sympathetic than judge decisions in a civil matter. They also tend to award more money. I suspect in this case, they will enter into evidence how the lone surviving girl and her lawyer family don't remember where they were drinking that night. She isn't one of those suing, but it is odd. It is weird that nobody in Gretna remembers anything about where these girls were drinking that night. It is like a giant Irish neighborhood. EVERYBODY in Gretna knows what happened that night. NOBODY is talking. Throw this shit out in two seconds if there is any justice.

Jury trials tend to be more sympathetic than judge decisions in a civil matter. They also tend to award more money. I suspect in this case, they will enter into evidence how the lone surviving girl and her lawyer family don't remember where they were drinking that night. She isn't one of those suing, but it is odd. It is weird that nobody in Gretna remembers anything about where these girls were drinking that night. It is like a giant Irish neighborhood. EVERYBODY in Gretna knows what happened that night. NOBODY is talking. Throw this shit out in two seconds if there is any justice.
You probably know Gretna pretty well, I would guess, but that place is sort of all about Gretna all the time. They still sort of act like they are this small isolated community that is 20 miles outside of Omaha. Like you said, it is sort of like those old Irish neighborhoods.

Had a friend that taught out there and she left after like two years, said it is sort of culty.

Last edited:
It is a very tricky stretch of highway. Everything about it is subtle and that's what makes it dangerous for a careless driver. There's a small hill leading up to the spot which doesn't allow you to see what's ahead (think of it kinda like a small roller coaster hill that comes after the first big drop). Then as you go over the hill (driving west) immediately there's a slight turn to the left with a small bridge over a small ravine at the bottom of it. It would come up on you rather quickly if you were driving at a high speed. As I drove over that, knowing that those girls died there, I said to myself that nobody should drive that stretch at 90 mph. But for a drunk 16 year old with little driving experience and who apparently thinks she's as good as Danica Patrick, it would be a certain tempt of fate.

The speed limit is 55 mph. A warning sign before that stretch would be appropriate. But that stretch of road is typical of many paved roads found in Nebraska today. As metro areas have populated, many gravel roads have been paved and they do not always run in a straight line. Kids need to be taught and learn to respect the road. Be cautious especially if you do not drive that road every day.

It is a very tricky stretch of highway. Everything about it is subtle and that's what makes it dangerous for a careless driver. There's a small hill leading up to the spot which doesn't allow you to see what's ahead (think of it kinda like a small roller coaster hill that comes after the first big drop). Then as you go over the hill (driving west) immediately there's a slight turn to the left with a small bridge over a small ravine at the bottom of it. It would come up on you rather quickly if you were driving at a high speed. As I drove over that, knowing that those girls died there, I said to myself that nobody should drive that stretch at 90 mph. But for a drunk 16 year old with little driving experience and who apparently thinks she's as good as Danica Patrick, it would be a certain tempt of fate.

The speed limit is 55 mph. A warning sign before that stretch would be appropriate. But that stretch of road is typical of many paved roads found in Nebraska today. As metro areas have populated, many gravel roads have been paved and they do not always run in a straight line. Kids need to be taught and learn to respect the road. Be cautious especially if you do not drive that road every day.
The morning after the accident I heard it was on Platteview and I knew exactly where it had to have happened. It’s a poorly designed spot on an otherwise completely straight stretch of road.

I am not saying I think it’s right to sue or that the families should win. The kids were nearly double the speed limit and had alcohol in their systems. That doesn’t seem like a road issue to me.

But that little stretch is bad enough to realize that the accident had to happen there when I heard about it.

Interesting. Just looked it up and found the scene on google maps. I can see how excessive speeds on a winding road could have led to striking the guard rail.

Here in Kansas, we have many roads just like the one near Gretna. 60 MPH but have yet to see any accidents in my 5 years here. Gotta look out for those Amish buggies.

This snakes up and down many times within a mile. Can't imagine driving 90+

Last edited:

Nothing that a sober driver paying attention to the wheel and operating at the speed limit couldn't handle.

But that's not the point here, according to these parents.

The world ain't a ****ing theme park.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
It seems the lawsuit should be directed at the person that bought the alcohol or possibly the drivers insurance company. I'm sure there is some skeletons in some closets that some might not want to come out during a trial. Lawsuits that go above the cost of funeral expenses and loss of wages in deaths like these just seem weird. No amount of money is bringing your child back.

Reactions: 81husker
It seems the lawsuit should be directed at the person that bought the alcohol or possibly the drivers insurance company. I'm sure there is some skeletons in some closets that some might not want to come out during a trial. Lawsuits that go above the cost of funeral expenses and loss of wages in deaths like these just seem weird. No amount of money is bringing your child back.

In Nebraska, what responsibility do parents have for the actions of their minor children?

I'm waiting for the Barths to trot out the #affluenza defense

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting if the lawsuit actually made it to court. Does the county have liability insurance? Would the insurance companies provide the county with legal representation? What happens when the kid rumored to supply the alcohol gets called to the stand? You can only plead the 5th to protect yourself and no one else. I suppose the kid could perjure himself figuring that the court couldn't convict him or her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT