ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Four Teens Die in Car Accident Near Gretna

Doesn't get much worse than this type of news. I've heard all were from Gretna, it's going to hit the community hard.

They are. Extremely sad. Something similar happened to Gretna a dozen or so years ago, except it was boys. It is devastating.

That spot at 180th/Platteview has a nasty reputation. Same exact spot GretnaShawn referenced. The road curves ever so slightly just west of 180th with a creek crossing there. Cars don't know it is coming up and then over-correct when they realize it. Many a car have ended up in that creek.

There was a bad one around western on st Patrick’s Day 3 people were killed 2 that went to meridian high, the communities were numb, I can’t imagine 4 from the same school it has to me horrible, prayers for the families

Gretna is an amazing community. They haven't officially mentioned the girl's names, but I know the father of one of the girls. In less than 9 hours, over 12k has been raised towards funeral expenses for her. This one is going to take a while to bounce back from, if ever.

Reactions: scarletred
Man, I found out tonight that I know the family of the girl that survived. What a tough day for the community of Gretna. A parent should never have to bury one of their kids.

I know them as well. Good people. They all have a very long road in front of them.

Reactions: kaz36
As a teacher I had students pass away both while in school and after they graduated. The first two years I was a principal we had students killed in accidents. They are very difficult to manage with students at the time and in the future when things come up like year books and graduations. Reading this brings back memories, bad ones.

Last edited:
Saw a pic of the 5 of them on twitter...very depressing.

Having dealt with something somewhat similar, these families lives will never be normal again. You do no get over something like this, you learn to deal with it and trudge on with your day to day.

There is something so different about losing a family member in an accident. They are suddenly ripped from your life with no notice, it really screws with the whole grieving process, you spend a lot of time on denial and anger.

Reactions: tpmcg
Man, I found out tonight that I know the family of the girl that survived. What a tough day for the community of Gretna. A parent should never have to bury one of their kids.
I agree, a relative told me years ago children are supposed to bury their parents not parents bury their children I won’t go into anymore details or some might figure out my identity

So the driver was they only one over the limit? One of them was stone cold sober? Wow.

Over 90mph in a 55mph zone. Barely over the legal limit (of an adult) for alcohol. Seems like the speed is more to blame than the booze. But would she have driven that fast without being drunk? Nasty combination of booze and excess speed for anyone, especially a youngster. It doesn't seem like those girls had all that much to drink, at least compared to my HS days. I just wonder how fast that girl usually drove when she was sober.

They're looking for whoever provided the booze. I expect they'll find them. I'm sure it wasn't a private party, so people know, including the survivor. Someone is in a world of trouble.

Just a horrible story. So sorry for the friends and family. It will have a lifetime impact on the survivors.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Anyone know what the crime would be for the parents of the house, where the party was? Regardless of a good lawyer, you have 4 girls dead. 1 girl would be too many also. So number I don’t think matters.

In addition, what I do know is the girl that had NO alcohol in her system was actually picked up after work and was essentially tagging along. Supposedly these girls had started the partying adventure even before this night, so wasn’t their first rodeo so to speak.

Rumor has been floating around awhile the party was at a pretty high up executive of a major corporation in town. His kids are in high school and go to Gretna.

Society looking for someone to blame, when the reality is, everyone is to blame for allowing alcohol to permeate society like it has. Alcohols kills people every single day. Directly or indirectly. It's the worst thing man has ever created.

Society looking for someone to blame, when the reality is, everyone is to blame for allowing alcohol to permeate society like it has. Alcohols kills people every single day. Directly or indirectly. It's the worst thing man has ever created.
Umm, if an adult provided these kids alcohol they are absolutely to blame. Growing up, even when my friends and I were of age my parents would not allow anybody to leave our house if they were drinking.

Last edited:

My Grandfather always said it’s a medicine if you use it the right way, And a Poison if you don’t.

Rumor has been floating around awhile the party was at a pretty high up executive of a major corporation in town. His kids are in high school and go to Gretna.
Hey, so what’s the crime you think for the parents and how long in jail could it be?

So if everyone is to blame, who should be punished?

I get what you are saying, and it makes sense, but someone definitely hosted this party. They should be held responsible.

The crime will be whose property it was on where the alcohol was consumed. I’m just not sure what the crime is and how long for the owners of the house aka the “mystery” parents

Depending on what the victims families decide to do. U would have a hard time suing friends. But they sure could go after the driver's parents in addition since they are responsible for aminors actions.

Bad deal. .08 isn't very much but for an inexperienced 16 yr old it could be. Definitely clouded the judgment on speed.

So...you are to blame?
indirectly, yep

Currently watching a family member kill themselves with it. I'm sure everyone has been affected in some way or form.

I do try to get my message out there without being on a soap box too much or preaching either, so I try to pick a point and time where it makes sense to say something.

There is also personal responsibility, and while those that hosted the party may be partially responsible, so are the actions taken by those under the influence.

It's a sad thing all the way around.

Reactions: WHCSC
I have worked with youth in multiple levels for most of my adult life. Since this happened, it has constantly been on my heart and mind. I have also worked with families who have lost children in various ways and it is the most difficult aspect of life one can ever go through. It is all part of the human condition, we are prone to making mistakes, some are just very costly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT