ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ford F-150 vs Dodge Ram 1500

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
So obviously judging by the title thread this is very OT but will soon be in the market to trade in my pickup for a newer model...think I’ve narrowed down my choices to the Ford F-150 with the 2.7 L EcoBoost and the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi...I’ll be trading up from a 2011 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi so I’m very familiar with Dodge...looking for 2015 or newer, under 50k miles and under $30k sticker price...primary reason for considering the Ford is the interior space of the crew cab...have a 2 year old that has a car seat in the back so the extra space is very appealing...I know this forum is a wealth of knowledge on all things so sell me on one of these 2 brands...not really considering Chevy as I’ve heard too many transmission horror stories with the Silverado

So obviously judging by the title thread this is very OT but will soon be in the market to trade in my pickup for a newer model...think I’ve narrowed down my choices to the Ford F-150 with the 2.7 L EcoBoost and the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi...I’ll be trading up from a 2011 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi so I’m very familiar with Dodge...looking for 2015 or newer, under 50k miles and under $30k sticker price...primary reason for considering the Ford is the interior space of the crew cab...have a 2 year old that has a car seat in the back so the extra space is very appealing...I know this forum is a wealth of knowledge on all things so sell me on one of these 2 brands...not really considering Chevy as I’ve heard too many transmission horror stories with the Silverado
I can test to your questions, "the Silverado's transmission in the f150 is bad
however, go to 2500, and they put in a Truck trany verses a cars trasmission. Big difference.I had a truck that went 250,000 miles with trucks gear box, No problems. a 4 X 4 to boot. My Hemi has 128,000,
1500, and no problems their either. Oh, well , it's your money.
Happy New Year.

Have a 2016 Ram and its become our kid hauler. Wife has a Pilot but we find that there is plenty of room in the Ram and better mileage than the Pilot too

What is your recommendation?
Keep your old truck and fix whatever needs to be fixed for eternity. The new vehicles today are so danged tinny they dent at the lightest of taps. IF you crease a panel the crappy metal can't be welded effectively so you have to replace a whole box side or door panel to fix them. I was told the insurance rates on the aluminum body Fords is nearly double that of a steel body GM truck. The step tailgates GM advertises though are supposedly 5K to replace if you destroy one. Some of the technology is great in new vehicles but the race to make them lighter and to use recycled materials has made the body durability really crappy. GM trucks also have an issue with rocks getting caught behind a horizontal metal piece over the rear wheel wells which is used to strengthen the light metal box wall. Those rocks then can pop out your box side causing the paint to crack. I had a Colorado fixed twice for that. The full sized GM trucks supposedly have the same issue.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
EcoBoost is junk. Dodge and Toyota are excellent if you need towing power. If you're going to be hard on it regularly I would stick to dodge or chevy. If you're just daily driving it, Colorado and Sierra are good looking trucks.

hold off and wait for the cybertruck in 2021

that will be one badass mf when it comes out.

No better truck
sc0516-250417_2.jpg

Reactions: American Horse
A coworker has a ‘14 ecoboost he’s had zero issues with, I think he has about 80k on it. My ‘16 Yukon Denali has the dreaded trans issues. Not a fan.

I’ve honestly thought about searching for the nicest 96-99 suburban in existence and buying it. I had a ‘96 gmc 5.7 that was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Somebody once told me that there is still a heck of a market for the 7.3 power stroke diesel. Basically that you can't lose money on that truck if you keep it maintained.

I have a 2016 150 King Ranch with the 3.5 Eco-Boost and I Love it. I get up to 22.5 miles per gallon on the highway but average around 14/15 in the city if I don't have a lead foot. If I punch it I can pass with ease and it feels very responsive. I can also tow just shy of 11,000 lbs. but the gas mileage would be bad doing so.

I'm just a regular member so you can probably just ignore my opinion. :Cool:

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I have a 2016 150 King Ranch with the 3.5 Eco-Boost and I Love it. I get up to 22.5 miles per gallon on the highway but average around 14/15 in the city if I don't have a lead foot. If I punch it I can pass with ease and it feels very responsive. I can also tow just shy of 11,000 lbs. but the gas mileage would be bad doing so.

I'm just a regular member so you can probably just ignore my opinion. :Cool:

Providing actual information + opinion does not matter. I tried

Have a 2003 Tahoe 230,000 no problems.
Have a 2007 Pathfinder 165,000 no problems.
Have a 2019 Ford Expedition Max with 10,000 no problems.

Have a patient that has been a mechanic for 40+ years- told me it’s all about changing oil and trans fluid on schedule and common sense.

EcoBoost is junk. Dodge and Toyota are excellent if you need towing power. If you're going to be hard on it regularly I would stick to dodge or chevy. If you're just daily driving it, Colorado and Sierra are good looking trucks.

yea, well, that’s like your opinion,
Man

This is pure gold !!! The epic battle of which company makes the better truck or car. Reminds me of when Holtz, Herbsteit and May were arguing who was the best college football team back in the day

Somebody once told me that there is still a heck of a market for the 7.3 power stroke diesel. Basically that you can't lose money on that truck if you keep it maintained.

You always lose regardless but any of the diesels have high resale for a truck in good shape. I’m still getting calls from the dealer wanting my Duramax and it’s 11 years old now.

So, to boil it down so far, every make and model sucks except for anything with a diesel.

And to wait for the truck that looks like the one Homer Simpson designed.

Have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost just shy of 90K miles and have no problems and love it. Plenty of power to pass in short span. Tow a boat a bit with no issues.

give me a Ford Raptor any day if the week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT