ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Floor jack recommendation

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
I've got a cheapo Harbor Freight jack that sucks. It replaced a very well built Craftsman that I've retired after 20 years. So, what the recommendation for a floor jack? I want a good one.

I've looked on Amazon and some of their aluminum ones look nice. I've got no experience with those. I am rocking a Camry. It will not be stored in the trunk. It will be for home use.

I've never had to do anything my compact Harbor Freight jack couldn't handle, but I'm probably a much lighter user. Anything more than changing a flat, I take it over to my father-in-law who has an actual lift in his shop. Surprisingly, setup cost him less than $2k if I recall correctly, but he did all the install work himself which saved alot of money.

I've got a cheapo Harbor Freight jack that sucks. It replaced a very well built Craftsman that I've retired after 20 years. So, what the recommendation for a floor jack? I want a good one.

I've looked on Amazon and some of their aluminum ones look nice. I've got no experience with those. I am rocking a Camry. It will not be stored in the trunk. It will be for home use.
I bought a off brand 3 ton at a parts store it’s yellow but couldn’t tell you the name for under 200. It works great. Personally I’d stay away from the aluminum one.

Napa are pretty indestructible.

Reactions: bigboxes
I bought a heavy duty low profile Dayton brand at harbor freight a year ago when they were running a very good sale on them. It was their top of the line at that time and has done well so far

Stay away from Performance tool. Everything they make is pure garbage.

My $80 Harbor Freight jack has served me well for the past 5ish years. Just make sure to maintain it with grease/oil/fluid.

I got mine at Menards, I want to say the brand is called Big Red. I tried to be cheap and get a bottle jack first, I immediately hated it and took it back.

Let us know what if any brand you buy

I just bought a DeWalt cordless 20V 1/2" impact wrench and a compact 3/8" impact wrench, plus the impact sockets for the pair. I may have to wait a bit. Was just looking for suggestions. I usually plan ahead. I was just noting that I wished I didn't get the cheapest jack I could find. Last year, my old one was failing and I needed to do some emergency brake work. I didn't want to spend big money on something I hadn't researched first. So, I just went with the cheapest hydraulic floor jack they had. It did the job, but it seems too puny and I like stability. I've been working on my car a lot lately and wished I had a better jack.

I also just wanted to say that cuz it sounded funny. :)

I just bought a DeWalt cordless 20V 1/2" impact wrench and a compact 3/8" impact wrench, plus the impact sockets for the pair. I may have to wait a bit. Was just looking for suggestions. I usually plan ahead. I was just noting that I wished I didn't get the cheapest jack I could find. Last year, my old one was failing and I needed to do some emergency brake work. I didn't want to spend big money on something I hadn't researched first. So, I just went with the cheapest hydraulic floor jack they had. It did the job, but it seems too puny and I like stability. I've been working on my car a lot lately and wished I had a better jack.

I also just wanted to say that cuz it sounded funny. :)
To be on the safe side buy jack stands there very affordable. You’ll love them, you need to add 1/4” impact, saws all, circular saw.

To be on the safe side buy jack stands there very affordable. You’ll love them, you need to add 1/4” impact, saws all, circular saw.

Beat me to it, I was going to add whatever you get make sure to get some jack stands for peace of mind.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I've never had to do anything my compact Harbor Freight jack couldn't handle, but I'm probably a much lighter user. Anything more than changing a flat, I take it over to my father-in-law who has an actual lift in his shop. Surprisingly, setup cost him less than $2k if I recall correctly, but he did all the install work himself which saved alot of money.
Installed with all the fixings (dropper cement for the lift etc) with lift I’ve seen prices around $5-6,000 (which isn’t bad).

I have two jacks and 4 stands...I work on cars enough that it was well worth the cost to buy two jacks so as I don't have to rely on one jack to lift whole car. So much easier with two and I will never be without two jacks again.

Reactions: Baxter48
Installed with all the fixings (dropper cement for the lift etc) with lift I’ve seen prices around $5-6,000 (which isn’t bad).

This is similar to what my father-in-law had if not exactly it.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.co...MIgZTF-46W6gIVUfDACh2pHgkDEAQYASABEgKbxfD_BwE

He already had proper electrical in place and had the concrete poured properly because when he built his shed he planned on getting one eventually. I suppose of you added those costs in it would bump it up a bit.

Reactions: brnred1989
I have had one of these for over 20 years and it’s been great. I don't use it every day but use it quite often and I don’t know if they have changed anything on them but it looks exactly like the one I have. If mine broke today I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It is very heavy though. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NLE7916420?partTypeName=Floor+Jack&keywordInput=car+jack

That would sound like a winner, but being that massive and made of steel would break my back. I don't have a garage, so I have to be able to carry the jack.

Reactions: MOwens79
Let us know what if any brand you buy

This is the one I went with. When I first looked at it, Amazon was selling it for over $250. When they dropped it to $217, I bit. The Harbor Freight version did not have the handles on any model on their website. The closest one they had was for $199, but no handles. This is half the weight of the one Napa one linked above. Funny how steel weighs so much. :D

I'll come back later with a review of the jack after I receive and use it.

Reactions: huskerfan66
My neighbor has those ramps you drive into. They're not bad once you get used to them. Not a ton of space under the car, I sometimes put the front on ramps and the back on jack stands.

Thats what my dad used for years for changing oil and other minor stuff. He was no mechanic but he'd be damned if he was going to pay someone to change the oil on any of his cars, haha. For stuff like that, they're fine. I've actually used them to get under my mower even, though now I have an actual mower lift for that stuff.

This is the one I went with. When I first looked at it, Amazon was selling it for over $250. When they dropped it to $217, I bit. The Harbor Freight version did not have the handles on any model on their website. The closest one they had was for $199, but no handles. This is half the weight of the one Napa one linked above. Funny how steel weighs so much. :D

Thanks

That is a badass mofo. Fo shizzle.

saw that harbor freight was recalling, replacement jack stands for previously recalled jack stands...

This thing is MASSIVE. It took a bit to figure out how to remove the spring wire that secured the jack during shipping. I read some comments online that said beware of the force of the yoke. The included instructions were probably a Chinese interpretation. A wrong interpretation. Good thing I could figure it out. The force of the yoke when unsprung was underwhelming at that point. The thought of loseing a finger made me take my time. LOL

Once, I was able to secure the handle to the yoke, I was in business. It easily reaches max height in 12 pumps. The long lightweight aluminum handle provides good leverage. I saw a video where this jack lifted a Jeep Wrangler off the ground with 6 pumps. I like the quality so far. Time will tell on quality. They recommend regular maintenance. Need to get some lithium grease spray, evidently.

07RPkqrl.jpg

XUMFVlsl.jpg

Last edited:
This thing is MASSIVE. It took a bit to figure out how to remove the spring wire that secured the jack during shipping. I read some comments online that said beware of the force of the yoke. The included instructions were probably a Chinese interpretation. A wrong interpretation. Good thing I could figure it out. The force of the yoke when unsprung was underwhelming at that point. The thought of loseing a finger made me take my time. LOL

Once, I was able to secure the handle to the yoke, I was in business. It easily reaches max height in 12 pumps. The long lightweight aluminum handle provides good leverage. I saw a video where this jack lifted a Jeep Wrangler off the ground with 6 pumps. I like the quality so far. Time will tell on quality. They recommend regular maintenance. Need to get some lithium grease spray, evidently.

07RPkqrl.jpg

XUMFVlsl.jpg

Which one did you go with?

My neighbor has those ramps you drive into. They're not bad once you get used to them. Not a ton of space under the car, I sometimes put the front on ramps and the back on jack stands.
I'm looking into Race Ramps plus their center section they offer.

You get any high winds early Thursday morning?
Not really that bad. Davenport, shickley and Hebron got it worse. But by noon a lot of the corn fields had a silagey smell to them. More green snap than I figured.

And you?¿?

Not really that bad. Davenport, shickley and Hebron got it worse. But by noon a lot of the corn fields had a silagey smell to them. More green snap than I figured.

And you?¿?
Had some trees damaged and of course it was the good trees not the shitty old ones. Some of the neighbors corn got hammered

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT