ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fishing Talk

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
So I bought a new rod & reel and new lure and managed to catch a bass on the 4th cast, but then later that day, got snagged and upon the lure releasing, it managed to land on my foot, putting a treble hook cleanly in between the toes. $357 later at the local urgent care, I realize I better come up with a better story for that expensive lure.

Fishing sure is different down here in Florida. The bass didn't really fight that hard and spoons and spinners don't seem to work very well. It's all hula poppers and the fake minnow lures that seem to catch everything.

My past experience is mostly fishing in Minnesota where a silver or gold spoon would always catch you a nice striped bass that felt like a monster because it fought so hard, and ended up being not big enough to keep.

Haven't gone deep sea fishing yet, but I feel like there is a whole new level of fishing down here that I will have to learn.

Anyone else planning to kill some virus time fishing?

I could never tell the difference between a large mouth bass, and an old boot, both fought about the same. Best fish I ever caught, bang for the buck all things considered, were crappie. Caught a bunch in lake of ozarks that weighed about a pound each, and fought harder than a 3lb large mouth around here.

Just purchased my annual Nebraska parks pass and fishing license.

Of course, I'm also a teacher, and I work across the state line in Kansas. Not sure what the rest of our semester is looking like. I might be spending the first part of summer in a classroom.

Decades ago, my dad used to take me on deep sea fishing party boats in San Diego. The boat would leave around midnight and return around 6am. Probably 30 people on the boat, dangling whole anchovies or cut mackerel deep off the sides of the boat. Tons of fun.

Also did something similar off the coast of Wildwood, NJ. Ran into a school of bluefish (aka rockfish). Probably caught a dozen myself and the whole boat was wiped out tired that day from all the activity.

Decades ago, my dad used to take me on deep sea fishing party boats in San Diego. The boat would leave around midnight and return around 6am. Probably 30 people on the boat, dangling whole anchovies or cut mackerel deep off the sides of the boat. Tons of fun.
I used to do the party boats but then got my own 23’ fishing boat. I’ve since sold it and will need to do the party boat thing again. Here are some pics from one of our more successful trips back 2004. We normally left the night before around 10:00 PM and idled out to our destination using radar at a blazing speed of 7 to 8 knots. This would put us out to our destination at first light which is the prime fishing time. On this particular trip we went out to the West Butterfly bank approximately 57 miles out. Shortly after first light we were hooked up and stayed hooked up for around 4 hours. Our final haul was 19 fish. Mostly albacore but a few yellowtail mixed in. The smallest was 26 lbs. and the largest was 38 lbs.

In this first pic I’m holding an albacore of approximately 30 lbs. Notice my nephew is still hooked up and at my feet are fish that had already been landed.

In this pic you can see all the fish that were at my feet. It was tricky trying to step around them and not trip as we were still landing more fish.

I was supposed to cross-off a bucket list item of mine this June - fishing for halibut in Alaska.

Something tells me I'm not going to be able to take that trip :(

I'm definitely planning to get the Lund out and hit some water with my boys. Can't do anything else and high school baseball in in limbo. I love the plastics for bass, really cuts down on the snags and it's fun to try and figure out what they're hitting on.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Saw a picture on Twitter today of a local kid that got hooked by his eye socket. He was out enjoying some fishing while school is shut down. Sounds like no eye damage, extremely lucky

Just purchased my annual Nebraska parks pass and fishing license.

Of course, I'm also a teacher, and I work across the state line in Kansas. Not sure what the rest of our semester is looking like. I might be spending the first part of summer in a classroom.

I don’t think so.

We ended up in the ER a few years ago because my son had a crankbait treble hook in his cheek. He was minding his own business and his friend hooked him on a cast. It was really hard to get out!

I don’t think so.
The Governor of Kansas ordered the school buildings closed to face to face instruction through the end of May, so that has been a very real possibility.

I did get more information yesterday. Looks like we'll be starting up with alternative instruction on March 30th (we're on Spring Break this week).

So I bought a new rod & reel and new lure and managed to catch a bass on the 4th cast, but then later that day, got snagged and upon the lure releasing, it managed to land on my foot, putting a treble hook cleanly in between the toes. $357 later at the local urgent care, I realize I better come up with a better story for that expensive lure.

Fishing sure is different down here in Florida. The bass didn't really fight that hard and spoons and spinners don't seem to work very well. It's all hula poppers and the fake minnow lures that seem to catch everything.

My past experience is mostly fishing in Minnesota where a silver or gold spoon would always catch you a nice striped bass that felt like a monster because it fought so hard, and ended up being not big enough to keep.

Haven't gone deep sea fishing yet, but I feel like there is a whole new level of fishing down here that I will have to learn.

It must be the colder water or something. All the bass I’ve caught fight harder the further north I’ve gone.

I was hoping to do some fishing this weekend, but this cold snap will probably keep me away from the pond.

The Governor of Kansas ordered the school buildings closed to face to face instruction through the end of May, so that has been a very real possibility.

I did get more information yesterday. Looks like we'll be starting up with alternative instruction on March 30th (we're on Spring Break this week).

Yes, but if they wanna go into June, the reality of trying to get kids to come back then will hit. We finally got some more info yesterday as well, and they left the option open of coming back, but I just can’t see it actually happening.

IMO, best fighting fish is a big ol' northern. They aren't just fighting for their life, I think they are actually pissed you caught them. Would love to get out, but I work in an "essential" industry so no time off. Of course, not complaining. I do count myself as highly fortunate in that regard.

Northern's always have a good run in them.

Silver Salmon are a blast especially on a fly rod. They make runs and they leap out of the water. Hang on for dear life.

I also found that I love catching rainbows. Not a ton of power but fun to see them leap out of the water. It's like 5 feet! Very acrobatic. (I only have caught small ones which explains the power comment)

I would like to go after tarpon some day. That fish looks like a fighter.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
We started a yearly trip up to Northern Minnesota about 7 years ago at the same lake. I was hooked after the first trip. The Northern and Walleye are crazy with the size and how ferocious they strike. It doesn't matter live bait or lures such a blast to catch.

And the small mouth with soft plastics. I look forward to that trip the day I return.

Dude, get out to the saltwater. Hit the flats. Catch yourself some snook, redfish or jacks and you'll never think about a bass again. And, you can use your existing bass tackle to get started.

I’ve been out quite a bit, caught my first Muskie so that’s the first big fish of the year for me otherwise small crappie and gills. Any excuse to get out though is great! Can’t wait to try my new fishing kayak.
Nice! Where did you hook that Muskie at if you don't mind answering?

Try noodling. More adventurous, and you don’t even need any gear.

Reactions: huntered
Yes, but if they wanna go into June, the reality of trying to get kids to come back then will hit. We finally got some more info yesterday as well, and they left the option open of coming back, but I just can’t see it actually happening.
Looks like we're gonna be ready to roll with on-line next Tuesday, so we shouldn't have to cut into the summer.

was lucky enough to catch a 12 LB red salmon and four years later about 80 yards up river about a 6 LB rainbow - same fly rod, Kenai River just below the Russian River Ferry few miles west of Cooper Landing Alaska - a couple of my rugby mates and I go about every 3 or 4 years.
Last year they went in August and it was the biggest run (late reds) in about 13 years or so. you can follow on the web at AK Dept. F&G:
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fish...splayResults&COUNTLOCATIONID=40&SpeciesID=420

Reeled in 4 Mahi Mahi some years back, included a 30lb bull off about 6 miles of Hawaii.

Recommend highly the deep sea fishing! I forget what the bait was, but it was better than the Mahi!

Where are you in Florida?

Agree on the Minnesota fish.

Where are you in Florida?

Agree on the Minnesota fish.
Just south of West Palm Beach in an area called Boynton Beach.. we have a place on a small lake here that is stocked, but I also like to go to the much bigger Lake Osborne located nearby. I've seen gators in there, and people waterskiing off in the distance. Crazy if you ask me.

We caught about 15 rainbows yesterday, ranging in size from 19" to 24", on the Missouri River 15min from my house. The social distancing was epic!
EUAG5opU4AAaaXB

Are public places open to fish in your states? Washington has closed public fishing areas and state hunting lands because of the Coronavirus. I thought I would go turkey hunting. Not sure if the Feds are going to close their lands. Don’t understand how I will be in any danger of catching a virus sitting at a base of a tree waiting for a gobbler when I will be miles from the nearest person

Are public places open to fish in your states? Washington has closed public fishing areas and state hunting lands because of the Coronavirus. I thought I would go turkey hunting. Not sure if the Feds are going to close their lands. Don’t understand how I will be in any danger of catching a virus sitting at a base of a tree waiting for a gobbler when I will be miles from the nearest person

Opposite here in MT.... Shelter in place kicks in tomorrow, BUT you can recreate close to your house (I don't know what 'close' means). Hiking, fishing, floating on public lands is still a green light, EXCEPT a few Federal Parks like Yellowstone that have decided to just lock the gates. (One ranger with COVID symptoms may have been in close contact with 600 visitors two mornings ago, or at least that is the report.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT