ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Firehouse subs

The steaks/prime rib etc. are good. I'll give you that. I've said for years it's about the only thing nebraska does really right.
If you ever get through GI you really need to stop at Sin City, Nathan Detroit's, & Uncle Eds.

I wholeheartedly apologize for even mentioning my enjoyment of a sandwich on a random Sunday afternoon. I can't begin to explain my embarrassment for even eating in a Nebraska establishment and then adding insult to injury, I suggested that I liked it.

Sparky, please give me a 30 day ban and I promise I will only eat in North Dakota, Wisconsin, Montana and North Carolina....the tried and true states for flavorful foods!

lol... the point is on average virtually anywhere else is better... which is pretty much the definition of "you have awful food". i wasn't picking places well known for food in most cases -- on purpose. i was picking places of similar size to compare properly.

you know if i'm picking out north freakin dakota of all places as better that you've got a bloody problem.

If you ever get through GI you really need to stop at Sin City, Nathan Detroit's, & Uncle Eds.

Going to be there next week a couple times and I will. Have to finish moving out of my temp house in heartwell (yes, we rented a temp house in a town of 70 bloody people for 6 months because it was simpler than a hotel lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky62
I've been to Anthony's although it's been 20 years. The food is decent, but too expensive. I know Omaha finally got Toppers although it isn't as good as it is in Wisconsin (they don't use as much cheese). Clancy's was decent back in the day, but I haven't been there for 20 years either even though I know some people involved. The Old Market area is ok, but I've had much better in most cases (I'm generalizing because I have zero desire to keep going on Omaha... it's average at best generally speaking. Yes it has some places but other cities of similar sizehave much more). The point is relatively speaking virtually every part of nebraska is awful in comparison to places of similar size. Nebraska as a general rule specializes in fast, bland, and tasteless food. And horrible, HORRIBLE pizza.

I will say this -- Voodoo Taco isn't bad and that's fairly new.

VERY cool... I'm going to have to try those when I get a chance. Don't get me wrong, I know there's good spots. There just aren't as many as other cities. The variety is awful as well.

Had Toppers for the first time. You're not allowed to have an opinion on food.

I'll give you this, we have a lot of chain restaurants. I prefer locally owned, but it is what it is. If we're talking about Lincoln, I think Venue is damn good. I also like the Blue Orchid and Issara.
Been to Venue once. It was excellent. Will definitely go back

I'm sure most have had it, but they just opened a new one at 132nd and Center in Omaha and I got my first taste today. Wow, that's a damn good sub!

Nice to see this there too!

F938A484-3F16-4455-AF88-D7DF4BFA8DF6_zpsezxewk1v.jpg

Very good

I live in outstate MN. I literally sit and daydream sometimes about all the good food I'm going to eat when back in lincoln. Give me some El Toro and Buzzard Billies and I'm good for a while. Conroy's donut holes used to be awesome as well but I guess they closed after moving locations?

Reactions: Soda Popinski
Firehouse Subs is the Porterhouse steak of sub restaurants. And there's no reason to get anything other than the #10 brisket.

I'll throw this out there: Taco Inn.

My wife and I try to hit up Taco Inn if we are in Lincoln. LOVE IT.

We also like Red Robin and daVincis

On topic, I have a Fire House subs about a mile away from us. I'd like to try it more, but it always loses out due to being expensive or family never will all agree to it. One of the main things is always price.

I had it when it was starting in Wisconsin. It's gone downhill. Still better than 98% of the food I've had in Nebraska and I've lived in 8 states.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Cousins is your pick for best sub as well? Wow, just wrong. WI restaurants are terrible. Tornado room was a piss poor attempt at a steak. What other awesome places in WI have you been to so I can make sure I avoid them.

My favorite restaurant is Casa DerHusker!

Chicken Fajitas

4 Bean Turkey Chili

Chicken Scallopini

Huevos Rancheros

Hawaiian Pizza

Tacos al Pasteur

California Burrito

Yahoo Fish Tacos

Honey Sriracha Glazed Wings & Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins

I could go on but I'll end it there.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Not to ruin your day, but Nathan Detroits and Uncle Eds are closed. Sin City is there and I like it. Kinkaider has replaced Nathan Detroits. I've always enjoyed it when I go.

Oh and since the OP started out about a sandwich place, there is always DerHusker's Sub Shop!

Blackened Chicken Torta

Sonoran Hot Dogs

Dutch Oven Runzas

Rib-Eye Steak Sandwich

and the Really Realy Big Sandwich!

What’s all on the really big sandwich?

What’s all on the really big sandwich?

It starts out with a loaf of homemade beer bread sliced horizontally 4 times.

Next in order of assembly is:

Mayo, Pepper Jack cheese, cucumber slices, Tri-Tip, red onion, red bell pepper, another layer of bread, Swiss cheese, more Tri-Tip, pickle slices, Muenster cheese, a bacon weave, another layer of bread, spicy brown mustard, more Swiss cheese, smoked turkey breast, tomato slices with fresh cracked black pepper and even more Swiss cheese. This all was then placed in my hot kamado for 3 minutes. Next, I brought it inside and added the final layers of lettuce and the bread topper.

Here's an action shot of me cutting it.
ljvt4.gif

Last edited:
Kleit...It seems that not liking Nebraska food is one thing. Writing a million words why any food anywhere is better than Nebraskas' is kinda pathological. I dare say that if you could have your absolutely favorite meal in Omaha you would hate that too...

Derhusker... I would like to make a standing reservation!

Kleit...It seems that not liking Nebraska food is one thing. Writing a million words why any food anywhere is better than Nebraskas' is kinda pathological. I dare say that if you could have your absolutely favorite meal in Omaha you would hate that too...

Derhusker... I would like to make a standing reservation!

He brought it up. I hadn't thought about this thread in however long it had been. A year? More?

Nebraska food is not good in comparison to more places than I can count. I still love runzas. Guilty pleasure.

Hell, I will even make exceptions.

The best prime rib I ever had was at this place in juniata nebraska outside hastings.

The rest of the all you can eat meal is a junk salad bar. But the prime rib was top notch.

If you ever get a chance to over to Sacramento NE. The restaurant is called "Speakeasy". The steak is called the Tomahawk. 39 oz, 2 potatoes, and 2 salads. It's actually is a meal for 2. It's not served with a knife, not needed.

Seems like you’ve been around Kearney a bit. If you go to Panda Express instead of Suwannee Thai that tells me all I need to know.

Reactions: MITCH492
Hell, I will even make exceptions.

The best prime rib I ever had was at this place in juniata nebraska outside hastings.

The rest of the all you can eat meal is a junk salad bar. But the prime rib was top notch.
Dippy donuts in West Point is Closed! I’ve had better doughnuts

Dippy donuts in West Point is Closed! I’ve had better doughnuts

So have I. Which is my point with 99% of this thread. It was good though. And i think they closed almost decade ago give or take. The food place that was in that shop beforehand was beyond a joke. Not sure what's there now I haven't been back in 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT