OT: Firehouse subs

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by huskerbux, May 1, 2016.

1. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Can't get here son enough.

2. T...Chafes

T...Chafes Senior
    Expand Collapse

I was in Minneapolis last fall, ate at 4 different places. Didn't like a single one. Therefore I think all food in Minneapolis is trash!

3. johnm17

johnm17 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Voo doo taco not so good in my opinion go to south O not a chain man woman and child quit going to chain restaurants if you want really good food.

4. SeaOfRed75

SeaOfRed75 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

There was one in Lincoln. Downtown about 14th and P iirc. Never tried it. Didnt last long.

And klietspergenspub or whatever

-Lamars are the best doughnuts ever.

-Its a freaking UNIVERSITY. Colleges such as Business, Teachers, Architecture make up the university.

5. schuele

schuele Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Not merely trash, but the most infinitely immeasurably obscenely awful food ever foisted upon mankind.

Wait, check that. Beyond the most infinitely immeasurably obscenely awful food ever foisted upon mankind.

6. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Love me some FHS.

7. tarheelhusker

tarheelhusker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Kleitusbpn, We get it, you can't be more obvious in your dislike of Omaha eateries or damn near any restaurant in the state fails your taste test. I traveled Nebraska top to bottom, side to side, my friend, you'd missed some of the best chow anywhere.

huskerfan1414 and SOHusker11 like this.
  8. highspeedhusker

Expand Collapse

I think Firehouse sucks, closed up in Lincoln. Jersey Mikes is the way to go

9. 4norsemen

4norsemen Assistant Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Love Firehouse but the Meatball is only a distraction from the Meatball at the neighborhood Subway.

10. 4norsemen

4norsemen Assistant Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Firehouse has a diff type of sandwich. Sorta a eat with fork type deal . Great people. fun to go to . great sauces.

sparky62 likes this.
  11. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Easy, we still have spring and summer to enjoy. Don't rush it.

sparky62 likes this.
  12. regoratsginrom

Expand Collapse

Potbellies is the best sandwich out there. Picklemans is not bad (very similar).

13. huskerfan1414

huskerfan1414 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

RollingLaughLaughingRollingLaugh

Soda Popinski likes this.
  14. huskerfan1414

Expand Collapse

I'd love to see a list of places you've been. I don't think you've scratched the surface.
    I've really never heard people say the food sucks in nebraska. Other than seafood.
    You mentioned West Point...there's restaurants popping up in nearby towns getting raves in dodge, Herman, Norfolk, Scribner....
    Omaha is often talked about as one of the best food cities.
    GO to Dantes in Omaha.
    Part of me thinks you're the type of guy who can't enjoy a good steak. Most of me never wants to have dinner with your kind.

15. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Foist is a highly underrated and underused word...

16. otismotis08

otismotis08 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

All fast food sucks. That's why it's fast food.
    With a grocery store right around the corner, I can quickly cook my own to suit my own tastes. Much healthier too.

17. Kleitusbpn

Kleitusbpn Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I love steak. I just don't want the half-ass salad bars and half-ass additions that go with it in nebraska restaurants. steaks is very nearly the only thing the state as a whole does well. if all the rest is awful then it drags down the experience -- and i will say so instead of giving the "aw shucks, we're lucky to have this much" routine.

Admittedly the state does steaks very well, but that's beside the point.

nebraska's the classic "we'll get you fed but it's not very good" state. and i've lived here for 30 years, so it's not like i haven't tried a LOT of different places in a lot of different towns -- literally state-wide.

let's take all the german-descent towns in nebraska as a short example (and there's a ton of them). how many good german food restaurants are there? anyone? bueller? i'm sure you can find one or two... but with the number of german towns that should be roughly one PER TOWN so long as it's got 1000 people. there's czech towns, swedish ones, etc. and the best you got is to say that someone doesn't like steak if they don't like nebraska restaurants? please, that's a pathetic argument. Go to wisconsin and tell me that german food isn't awesome when people actually make an effort with real ingredients and quality.

i want quality. half-ass doesn't cut it. and unfortunately nebraska's good at half-ass when it comes to serving restaurant food. when panda express comes in and people think it's the best asian food in town (kearney, within the last 5 months) there is something SERIOUSLY wrong because panda is AT BEST a 3 or 4 out of 10 quality. if you don't buy that, go pick virtually any teriyaki place in the seattle area and you'll see the nebraska "quality" blown out of the water -- and they've got a different teriyaki place virtually everywhere. Yes, 25% asian population in seattle area but come on... quality is a function of what's demanded by the people.

hell, i could pick apart virtually every town over 20,000 not named omaha because i either grew up by them or have lived there recently. Columbus? el matador is still open -- and i shouldn't have to say anything else. Norfolk? Michael's cantina is considered "good" lol. Sakura is ok but overpriced. The Granary is average at best. Napolis is hamburger freakin' helper (and if you can't figure out how much of an insult that is, you need serious help). The burrito place in the mall is ok though. Hastings? Goldenrod Cafe has good breakfasts but the dinners are bland and awful. Nick's Gyros had bugs in their gyros the one and only time I went. Kearney? Egg and I is overpriced. The breakfast cart is decent for breakfast (yes, i did just compliment a restaurant in this state). Flipping sweet burger is slightly above average. I'll freely admit i've never tried the pizza alternative because this state spawned valentinos. Grand Island? Tommy's is decent.

point with this (keeping in mind that the smaller towns are infinitely less likely to have good food -- even at the steak places)? the restaurants are awful on average with few exceptions. bland, fast, or tasteless food is the specialty. and that's when you can actually find one that isn't a chain or fast food (or both).

you can't tell me -- flat out cannot -- that there aren't some family recipes and good cooks floating around because i've had that food too. they're just simply not in the restaurants.

note: giving omaha the benefit of the doubt because why not and yes i'm very willing to try the places on that list above. i will reiterate though that i lived outside seattle for a decade and bellevue is right there and went to high school in omaha. i've been a LOT of places in that town although it's admittedly been years.

57 Kleitusbpn, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  18. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying that GI doesn't have it's fair share of chain restaurants because it does. You need to look a little harder. Try Uncle Eds. Ed is a great cook and the food is fantastic. There is also Nathan Detroits & Sin City.

19. Soda Popinski

Soda Popinski First Team All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you keep comparing apples to oranges (Seattle to Columbus/Hastings/etc), then the points you're attempting to make aren't valid.

Nobody is saying Nebraska is a culinary utopia, just that we're at least slightly better than Iowa.

20. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

I wasn't comparing the two most of the time. one of the examples i had previously was of a little cali-mex restaurant in a town the size of columbus. i VERY purposefully picked a town the same size.

the only reason i did it there was to point out just how large the difference is when people know what they're tasting. i'm not asking for perfection -- just quality would be nice.

if you want me to pick places in similar sized towns it isn't that hard. i've been a LOT of places and the food just isn't on the same level here.

21. Soda Popinski

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You compared Panda Express in Kearney to any teriyaki place in Seattle. You made that argument. That's all I wanted to point out.

SeaOfRed75 and Charlie Marlow like this.
  22. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

... and once again, i used that to show how large the gap is. i've VERY purposefully kept the town size comparisons the same up until that point.

i didn't even bring up towns like bozeman, montana (population 40,000 -- hint: smaller than grand island) that are flat out amazing at creating good restaurants. mackenzie river pizza, etc. It says a heck of a lot that nebraska's two most famous exports (non-steak and corn category) that are food related are koolaid and spam. nebraska's NOT famous for quality food. i would possibly add runzas to that list but glorified hot pockets aren't much higher on the quality food list even if i am addicted to them personally.

it comes down to what quality you demand. nebraskans don't so they don't have it.

23. Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Actually we do, you just seem to have a talent for going to all the wrong restaurants in this state. Toppers? Panda House? Runza? Salad bars? I mean they can be fine in their own way, but to bash the food here and use those as your examples compared to elsewhere is what people have a problem with.

huskerfan1414 likes this.
  24. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

for some reason it needs to be reiterated -- salad bars and buffets are a staple outside of omaha in nebraska. it has nothing to do with going to the wrong restaurants when there are no more restaurants to go to.

I used toppers as an example because it's better than what was here on that level in the first place. and that's saying something. if i want real pizza i go to albanos or mackenzie river among others (links already provided).

I agree the examples i used were average at best. the point is (and was) that they're better than what was there in the first place -- which is why they came here and are thriving instead of being driven out.

i've also given examples of decent restaurants or other things in the process so my commentary is hardly one-sided.

also, context is nice -- runza was used as an example of a food export from nebraska in the non-steak and corn category. if nebraska is so good at food, where's the restaurant that has taken the country by storm? or at the very least done fairly well. the closest i can give you is godfather's and frankly... that pizza is a JOKE anywhere near chicago or new york. and i'm not talking in the cities itself -- i'm talking the places surrounding it have pizza places that blow it out of the water much less in the cities themself.

i saw a godfather's in redmond, washington at one point. it went out of business in a year or two because it sucked. that should give you a hint at the relative qualities involved but apparently nobody cares that i might actually have a point.

64 Kleitusbpn, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  25. schuele

Expand Collapse

It's hard to take someone seriously when they complain about the proliferation of terrible chain restaurants, then whine about The Egg and I being overpriced. I don't exactly do cartwheels over the food at The Egg and I, but it's pretty good - and it costs about $2 more to eat there than at Village Inn or Denny's. So you're wagging your finger at everyone else here because they don't demand quality, but a menu full of $8 and $9 meals is overpriced?

SeaOfRed75 likes this.
  26. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

it is overpriced compared to a restaurant less than a mile away (the breakfast cart), much less other places where i've also had similar food for less. i can name ten places off the top of my head in different places around the country that are cheaper and just as good. minden and holdrege have a spot that's pretty good owned by the same guy (cozy corner cafe). hastings' breakfast at goldenrod cafe is better.

that's just 4 spots within 45 minutes (one within two) that are extremely cheap in comparison with similar food quality. don't even get me started on other states.

27. schuele

Expand Collapse

Yeah I would agree those local Nebraska eateries are as good or better than The Egg and I. So what is it you are bitching about, exactly?

28. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

*facepalm* seriously?

I've had MUCH better elsewhere on average as has been reiterated multiple times both in quality and amount of food for the $$$. what else needs to be said?

29. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I don't know the last time I ate at a restaurant that had a buffet.

30. otismotis08

otismotis08 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Chances R

sparky62 likes this.
  31. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Correct. About 6 months ago.

32. Soda Popinski

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A buffet and a salad bar. Double whammy. And since I've heard the Sunday brunch is around $30, it's overpriced too (which I actually agree with). Unless they have nachos on the menu for <$3/lb, I'm sorry to say, it's your typical awful Nebraska restaurant. I can say this because I've never eaten there. You should be ashamed of yourself Sparky.

33. huskerfan1414

Expand Collapse

Honestly, me either. I can't think of one outside the crappy Golden Corral. It's much bigger to have buffets down south.
    And judging by what this guy knows about the restaurants in a town he mentioned, he hasnt been out in awhile. I don't understand how he can be this food snob and talk about runza and godfathers etc like we all think that's epic. He keeps saying we don't understand what he's saying but he is the one who doesn't get it. His arguments don't fit the premise at all.
    I'm not gonna run around saying nebraska is the best food state ever, but I don't know what the best food state is and I don't care. I've been to great restaurants all over this state and in others. Hyperbole isn't good.

Yossarian23 likes this.
  34. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

if by "down south" you mean texas, you're right, they have more buffets. but if by "down south" you mean the rest of the south that's not really right. They have more fast food than buffets, and they also have significantly more variety in the types of fast food. nebraska just doesn't have as many restaurants as other places to begin with. i lived in kernersville, nc for 3 months -- 23,500 people give or take. twice as many restaurants as columbus, fremont, norfolk, kearney, or north platte. the amount of fast food was almost terrifying. finding good, cheap fried chicken and/or biscuits and gravy was amazingly easy though. absolutely cannot say that about nebraska and they've got a lot of similar restaurants.

Funny thing is i'm not really a food snob. i just detest awful. nebraska restaurants are on average awful -- either completely overpriced or the food is terrible. pick one. mostly because the competition is awful. the goal is to be better than the alternative, not to be good.

I have eaten at chances R probably 25 years ago -- probably 5 or 6 times. It's exactly the type of restaurant that's scattered across nebraska that's a staple of different areas. Every time i drive past the sign on the interstate i roll my eyes. if you want i can name different ones in different towns (the sunday buffet at the ramada in columbus being another example -- that used to be a holiday inn years ago, and i was there then too).

or if you want to come back to egg & I in kearney and just how badly it's overpriced, i'll pick a different midwest state than i've talked about before -- north dakota. i've spent 3 months in bismarck/mandan on business within the last year. that area's got about as much people and business as tri-cities in nebraska so it's a decent comparison.

FIVE places within an hour that have vastly better breakfasts both for price and portion size and in a couple cases quality. FIVE. with very little effort involved in finding them (google). I honestly have no idea what it is in the water up there but north dakota as a whole did breakfast shockingly well -- and i'm shocked because they can't find employees to open anything so they're doing this with what they can get which is sometimes not much. The unemployment up there was obscenely low. Something like 5000-6000 open jobs in a metro area of 110,000 and that's just the advertised ones. Best spot i found was a little place in Medina, just off the interstate about an hour away that was run out of an old house -- and only open until around 1 or so. And the funny part is that the cost of living up there is significantly worse than kearney (which is crappily expensive) due to all of the oil money. It was cheaper to eat out than it was to eat at home while we were there at least until we did more bountiful baskets and so we tried every place we could find. wal-mart of all places was paying like $14/hr overnight.

This isn't hyperbole. I'm VERY willing to discuss facts. like the fact that we (my gf and i) very, very rarely got out little cottage cafe in bismarck for more than $18 including tip and this was after i ordered about twice as much food as your average adult (i eat like a horse, gf says i've got a hollow leg). and frankly, the food was better than egg & I. try that in kearney and tell me how much you'd be paying. I'd give pictures to compare but I'm not running a food blog here (i could given all the places i've been... no way in hell though).

You can't hammer the guy who's been one of the only ones in the thread giving specifics for hyperbole (i'll give credit to the ones who talked about omaha, and believe it or not i'll try a few of those places when i get a chance -- i'm willing to say when i'm wrong). hyperbole is when you throw out someone "hasn't been out in a while" while not giving specific examples of why i'm wrong and where i'm wrong so i can either refute them or look like an idiot trying. If I have been there I'll say so -- if not, not. Given that I've been to a non-chain restaurant in virtually every town in the northeastern part of this state at one point (and obviously a lot of them in the central and western part), it's fairly likely i've been to one or two of them. heck i've even been to ones that aren't in towns (like the one off by its lonesome off highway 81 and hwy 20 up by randolph that i can't remember the name). i've even been south/east of lincoln quite a bit. legacy of a misspent youth (read: i worked for my dad who traveled the state as part of his job).

nebraska specializes in bland, fast, or tasteless food. i'm sorry, but the definition of "good food" is not "i like it" or "it's better than the place down the road". it's also not defined as "they cook better than i do so it's good".

35. OzzyLvr

OzzyLvr Newbie
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like you have a great opportunity to make a killing with your own restaurant & you could even branch out as a consultant & make a killing doing that as well. You're easily the most qualified restaurant expert I've ever seen. Let us all know when you open your restaurant. I, for one, would love to give it a try.

36. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Usually if it's Chances R it's a prime Rib buffet. It's actually a very good restaurant. Fried chicken is top notch and the soups are homemade.

Soda Popinski likes this.
  37. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

LOL, driveby insults. typical message board fare when you got nothing. I'm an average cook at best. I'm fine with that.

38. huskerbux

huskerbux Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I wholeheartedly apologize for even mentioning my enjoyment of a sandwich on a random Sunday afternoon. I can't begin to explain my embarrassment for even eating in a Nebraska establishment and then adding insult to injury, I suggested that I liked it.

Sparky, please give me a 30 day ban and I promise I will only eat in North Dakota, Wisconsin, Montana and North Carolina....the tried and true states for flavorful foods!

39. Kleitusbpn

Expand Collapse

The steaks/prime rib etc. are good. I'll give you that. I've said for years it's about the only thing nebraska does really right.

40. sparky62

sparky62 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Laughing