ADVERTISEMENT

OT: family vacation

GretnaShawn

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 28, 2010
We had a vacation to Jamaica planned for March. But my wife is pregnant and the Zika virus there now. Not something we are planning on risking. So we now are looking to go somewhere without the threat (essentially somewhere with no mosquitoes - in March!).

My wife is from WI, so we are looking at the dells so her family can possibly meet up with us. But I'm looking for other places that would work for March, with a pregnant wife and a 1-1/2 year old.

Any suggestions???

You could always go to Kansas to see Cousin Eddie, Cousin Cathrine, Cousin Vicki, Cousin Dale, and Daisy Mabel.

Sorry - not helpful, but I couldn't resist.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
We had a vacation to Jamaica planned for March. But my wife is pregnant and the Zika virus there now. Not something we are planning on risking. So we now are looking to go somewhere without the threat (essentially somewhere with no mosquitoes - in March!).

My wife is from WI, so we are looking at the dells so her family can possibly meet up with us. But I'm looking for other places that would work for March, with a pregnant wife and a 1-1/2 year old.

Any suggestions???
Florida has some risk now for Zika too. Vegas baby. They say it's family friendly now.....:rolleyes: What the heck? PG wife and and a 1-1/2 year old? Man you better just plan a trip to NU for some baseball games and then to Omaha to the zoo. The 1-1/2 yr old will love it and you aren't out much if your wife suddenly doesn't feel like vacationing.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Wisconsin Dells in March could be frigid. Not sure much would be open then either. Great Wolf Lodge in KC comes to mind and then spend a day in Omaha at the Zoo.

Destin, Fl. I have multiple beach rentals there. Smaller town, above the frost line, best beach in the US and you an sit on the balcony and watch the Dolphins every morning.

Second the Pacific Northwest. Absolutely beautiful country, and a variety of different family friendly activities.

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia is a great stretch if you have a vehicle..

The Pacific Northwest is a wonderful area to vacation, I have family in Seattle and It has become a yearly trip for me. Tons of things to do hiking, shopping, sports, museums, and some of the best Eastern and seafood you can get. Public transit is pretty solid but with a little one, a car is probably a good choice.

Any suggestions???
The Zika outbreak is pretty scary. I'm just glad it's winter now and the outbreak has time to burn out before the summer season hits. Mosquitoes are hard to contain (as evidenced by the near impossibility of ever fully controlling malaria).
If you want a warm, tropical destination in March you might try Hawaii. I won't be surprised if Zika makes it to Florida after island hopping through the Caribbean. On another note, in the years my wife has been pregnant we've skipped the yearly vacation because she is too limited in her activity (even in the second trimester there are difficulties).

The Zika outbreak is pretty scary. I'm just glad it's winter now and the outbreak has time to burn out before the summer season hits. Mosquitoes are hard to contain (as evidenced by the near impossibility of ever fully controlling malaria).
If you want a warm, tropical destination in March you might try Hawaii. I won't be surprised if Zika makes it to Florida after island hopping through the Caribbean. On another note, in the years my wife has been pregnant we've skipped the yearly vacation because she is too limited in her activity (even in the second trimester there are difficulties).
Zika on the Big Island of Hawaii

My wife is preggo as well and we just switched from The Caribbean to Biloxi MS. Heard it's really laid back. Would rather be in the Caribbean but stuff happens.
Not sure Biloxi would be much better than Florida for risk and Florida seems to be teeming with Zika already. The bottom line is that if you bathe your self in DEET and stay indoors your risk of contracting Zika is probably pretty low, BUT I think every hotel room I've ever stayed in down there always seems to end up with mosquitoes buzzing around in it at night. The question is what kind of birth defects will the DEET cause. Last time I checked warm weather vacations aren't a necessity of life. Why take any risk with an unborn child's life?

Not sure Biloxi would be much better than Florida for risk and Florida seems to be teeming with Zika already. The bottom line is that if you bathe your self in DEET and stay indoors your risk of contracting Zika is probably pretty low, BUT I think every hotel room I've ever stayed in down there always seems to end up with mosquitoes buzzing around in it at night. The question is what kind of birth defects will the DEET cause. Last time I checked warm weather vacations aren't a necessity of life. Why take any risk with an unborn child's life?

We live in Houston so Biloxi isn't much different. For us the change is going to be instead of being outside the entire time, wifey is going to spa it up and just chillax. I think the Zika threat will be down significantly for us anyways.

We live in Houston so Biloxi isn't much different. For us the change is going to be instead of being outside the entire time, wifey is going to spa it up and just chillax. I think the Zika threat will be down significantly for us anyways.
You're right about the difference between Biloxi and Houston. IMO the risk is only going to go up. I'll be very surprised if Zika doesn't really get rolling in the U.S. as temps warm. The virus seemed to have genetically drifted and become more virulent. Right now most of the cases have come from people that have traveled to more tropical climates but it has spread rapidly everywhere else it has gotten a foothold. The good news is it appears that as you get late in pregnancy the risk of severe brain damage decreases. The bad news is that living in those gulf areas, there are likely tens of thousands of people that return from cruises walking around in your area carrying the virus for mosquitoes to pick up. It's likely going to get worse. Personally, IF my wife and I were thinking of having a baby but weren't already pregnant, I would probably try to hold off a few months to see where this whole thing goes epidemiologically. IF she were pregnant I would take as few risks as possible. Somebody up here in the great white north just returned from a short golf vacation and now his wife won't go near him until after she has her baby......6 months from now. CDC won't test him because he's not symptomatic. Hope he enjoyed the golf.:rolleyes:

Well, you're probably going to want to avoid the spring break crowds, so that's going to limit you some. What I'm thinking is there aren't many mosquitos in Canada in March, and the ice should still be thick enough for a little fishing. Nothing beats some good family time holed up in an ice shack. But maybe we have different interests. As an alternative, the Dells have some great indoor waterparks and aren't too far away. We did Kalahari, but there are several other options. And if you're driving to the Dells, you have to stop at House on the Rock on the way. No one should go through life without seeing that.

ADVERTISEMENT