bigredboy79

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2005

whoboppin

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2015
Meh, I don’t think putting some dead girls parents, older brother, or friend in jail is really a deterrent to underage drinking.

Situation sucks all around. When I was underage we’d find alcohol by hook or by crook. Who provided it didn’t really matter, it was gonna happen.

True Husker

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2013
Everytime I see this story I become more disgusted by these families. Early in June the families of the 4 deceased girls held a fundraiser. Not a mention of the 5th friend who survived. Didnt even include that family in the event. Now suing the county? Yet dont mention that the girls were all drunk. This is white privilege at its worst. They are getting the attention because they are 4 white girls from Gretna.

David Buck

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2005
Everytime I see this story I become more disgusted by these families. Early in June the families of the 4 deceased girls held a fundraiser. Not a mention of the 5th friend who survived. Didnt even include that family in the event. Now suing the county? Yet dont mention that the girls were all drunk. This is white privilege at its worst. They are getting the attention because they are 4 white girls from Gretna.
Wow

BigRedGal

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
I recall someone on here posting that if it got out who was responsible for supplying the beer that the sheet would hit the fan. It appeared from watching press conferences that law enforcement had an inkling but needed more info to press charges. Agree it is a shame that the focus is on the roads vs trying to find out who supplied the alcohol... hmm makes it appear the parents might be hiding something. Agree they are making things worse.

Car&Lando

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
I am sorry for their loss and continued pain at a loss of a child. I just can’t see how the county is at fault when the girls were drinking underage, driving while intoxicated, and excessively speeding with too many kids in the car as is. The responsibility lies with the kids and adult who provided the alcohol to the minors.

fitzjess21

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2015

Haha, what?

bob-lob-law

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2017
Hardly white privileged more than an attempted money grab that will end with the memory of their children shit on because they can’t accept that their child made a bad decision.

This is the most American thing I’ve read today....America where accountability for your actions aren’t your problem but someone else’s.

Start a fight - sue the person who beat your ass.
Die drunk driving - sue the city because it’s the roads fault
Resist arrest - sue the police because they put their hands on you (not discussion unjustified force here)
Get fired for being worthless at your job - sue for wrongful termination

Notice the trend? Gross lack of accountability for one’s actions. This falls into the same category of people wanting to blame whoever provided these girls alcohol who then drove around drinking.

Play stupid games — win stupid prizes

Huskerlife39

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Omaha, NE
Don’t see how this ends anything but badly for those 4 families. County isn’t going to be able to just settle so they will have to push a more aggressive investigation. Someone is responsible for providing the alcohol and someone is responsible for providing the automobile that the girls where driving. How long do you suppose the families will be able to stick together once it appears some are going to be getting a payday and some may be doing the paying.

DonnieDarko07

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2008
I am sorry for their loss and continued pain at a loss of a child. I just can’t see how the county is at fault when the girls were drinking underage, driving while intoxicated, and excessively speeding with too many kids in the car as is. The responsibility lies with the kids and adult who provided the alcohol to the minors.
The county isn’t at fault at all. The families are reaching here and it’s sad. Nothing will bring those girls back period and they know that.

Sean Callahan

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Lincoln, NE
nebraska.rivals.com
No word from anyone about where the kids were drinking, how they got the alcohol, or what parents were the buyers. This is not going to be pretty if it goes to court and jury.

The lone survivor of the crash also can't be questioned by authorities since she's a minor.

I had an uncle killed by a drunk driver in 2000 by Westside HS students drinking and going high speeds in a residential area. They found the girl who bought the alcohol there and she got one year of prison, which was the max you could receive. At the time she was the first person ever in the state to receive the max penalty for procuring to minors. I was in the courtroom that day, and the judge said: "The state of Nebraska has never given out the maximum penalty before, but in this case, it is completely justified. You gave minors a loaded gun and it played a factor in taking an innocent man's life."

tuffout33

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2010
Jfc

cbredman44

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2004
Omaha
Hardly white privileged more than an attempted money grab that will end with the memory of their children shit on because they can’t accept that their child made a bad decision.

This is the most American thing I’ve read today....America where accountability for your actions aren’t your problem but someone else’s.

Start a fight - sue the person who beat your ass.
Die drunk driving - sue the city because it’s the roads fault
Resist arrest - sue the police because they put their hands on you (not discussion unjustified force here)
Get fired for being worthless at your job - sue for wrongful termination

Notice the trend? Gross lack of accountability for one’s actions. This falls into the same category of people wanting to blame whoever provided these girls alcohol who then drove around drinking.

Play stupid games — win stupid prizes

Agreed with the exception of the last point. Providing alcohol to minors is a crime, and there is legal/civil liability that accompanies that. Whoever provided the booze has a part in it by the law, whether you agree with that law or not is a different issue I guess.

joe4huskers

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
The lone survivor of the crash also can't be questioned by authorities since she's a minor.

I had an uncle killed by a drunk driver in 2000 by Westside HS students drinking and going high speeds in a residential area. They found the girl who bought the alcohol there and she got one year of prison, which was the max you could receive. At the time she was the first person ever in the state to receive the max penalty for procuring to minors. I was in the courtroom that day, and the judge said: "The state of Nebraska has never given out the maximum penalty before, but in this case, it is completely justified. You gave minors a loaded gun and it played a factor in taking an innocent man's life."
Any idea if the authorities can question the survivor once she is 18?

bob-lob-law

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed with the exception of the last point. Providing alcohol to minors is a crime, and there is legal/civil liability that accompanies that. Whoever provided the booze has a part in it by the law, whether you agree with that law or not is a different issue I guess.
I don’t disagree that the providing of alcohol to a minor is a minor offense and if they find that person (likely a parent or friends parent/sibling) they should get the corresponding charge.

What I was getting at is those people who want to have that person tried for manslaughter or murder. Should have clarified.

EasternShoreHusker

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2008
Any idea if the authorities can question the survivor once she is 18?
Not sure if Nebraska has some special law, but authorities can question minors, even without parents present. The minor can request an attorney or decline to be questioned. To my knowledge, the minor can waive right to attorney like anyone else. The age factor doesn't really come in until you get to like 7-8 years of age. Again, Nebraska may be different..

jehresm

Junior
Dec 1, 2013
So much for all that "stop investigating and let them move on" talk from the Gretna community.

The "negligent, reckless actions" were committed by the girls, not the county. Very tragic and sad loss.

My heart goes out to the parents, but this lawsuit is baseless.

TheSeventhBrat

Administrator
Jun 26, 2003
Omaha
It's a shame that the families are putting the blame for this on the county when they along with others in the community are protecting the people that provided the alcohol to the teen girls.

https://www.1011now.com/2020/07/01/...K25tRoCxCxopovkpEIWMnKtEZPohFoWudfPw8SCSONRvY
I Google mapped the location shortly after the accident. Lack of an experienced driver, excessive speed and alcohol, couple with the slight curve on the road were a deadly combination.

If they were going the speed limit and were not impaired, this crash likely does not happen.

It's a tragedy, certainly. And I'm not dismissing the parents' anguish.

Sarpy County will most likely settle out of court.

Nebraska Power

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Birmingham, AL

You have to be kidding me? We can put minors on trial for murder before they are 18 but they can’t question this witness? That is a complete joke.

Last edited:

Redd Webster

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2004
I Google mapped the location shortly after the accident. Lack of an experienced driver, excessive speed and alcohol, couple with the slight curve on the road were a deadly combination.

If they were going the speed limit and were not impaired, this crash likely does not happen.

It's a tragedy, certainly. And I'm not dismissing the parents' anguish.

Sarpy County will most likely settle out of court.
No the Sarpy county will answer the complaint with all the information they have and it is not going to be a good light on the kids. And if the parents/attorney are dumb enough to move forward with lawsuit, the parents will be deposed under oath and we may find out what happened since they ain’t talking now.

Last edited:

Turbo388

Aug 5, 2019
Insane they would sue the county over their daughters clearly making bad decisions. Drunk and driving 90 mph, SMH.

Reactions: 81husker

OneBadHuskerFan

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
Austin, TX
5 girls, the oldest one in the group was 16 and they were drunk. Unfortunate, but how is that anybody's fault but theirs? At some point there has to be personal responsibility. Did the county hold their beers for them while they were drinking them? If anything nail the person/people that bought them the alcohol in the first place.

CutBroBow

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2007
True Husker and others: The girls were NOT all drunk, at least according to a front page story in the OWH this morning:

"The passengers in the vehicle had the following blood alcohol readings, according to authorities: Brandon, .05; Minardi, .02; Odermatt, .10; and Pfeifer, .00.

In Nebraska, it’s illegal for anyone to drive with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher. The legal drinking age in the state is 21. It’s illegal for people in the state who are younger than 21 to have a blood alcohol reading above .02."
I think one should be very careful about tarring everyone with a charge like being drunk when the facts show otherwise. Three of them were obviously minors who had been drinking, but this is not the same as saying all of them were drunk.

Reactions: OneBadHuskerFan

jbt25

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2010
Meh, I don’t think putting some dead girls parents, older brother, or friend in jail is really a deterrent to underage drinking.

Situation sucks all around. When I was underage we’d find alcohol by hook or by crook. Who provided it didn’t really matter, it was gonna happen.

But the consequences aren’t the same as they We’re at least not I was a kid. it’s just changed and you can’t have the same conversations and can’t say it’s OK now just because we did it back then it’s not it wasn’t OK when we did it in the main point is it sure is hell A deterrent ....and I’m pretty sure most parents what do you think they’re hiding the fact that they bought the alcohol most parents don’t want to go to jail and it would at least prevent people over 18 from buying it. Doesn’t mean that under age drinking will stop but as long as you have parents making it that easy forget about it.

Way too many parents just wrongly assume and accept it’s going to be a fact their kids will drink in high schooL you don’t have to accept that you can set limits for your own kids that are even if they were different from your upbringing because we didn’t go to jail for a vehicle killer homicide drinking and driving when I was growing up.. now you do.

And all parents should have as tough as hell consequence for their kids driving drunk at that age absolutely nobody should be soft on it don’t care what you did when you’re a kid you’re not soft on it it’s different now

Redd Webster

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2004
True Husker and others: The girls were NOT all drunk, at least according to a front page story in the OWH this morning:

"The passengers in the vehicle had the following blood alcohol readings, according to authorities: Brandon, .05; Minardi, .02; Odermatt, .10; and Pfeifer, .00.

In Nebraska, it’s illegal for anyone to drive with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher. The legal drinking age in the state is 21. It’s illegal for people in the state who are younger than 21 to have a blood alcohol reading above .02."
I think one should be very careful about tarring everyone with a charge like being drunk when the facts show otherwise. Three of them were obviously minors who had been drinking, but this is not the same as saying all of them were drunk.

Same article later adds “ In a statement issued Wednesday after the story was published by The World-Herald, the families said the tort claim is not a lawsuit against Sarpy County and was filed to preserve their legal options. Their goal is to make Platteview Road safer“

But yet in the same article...
“In the tort claim, each family refers to wrongful-death damages related to emotional distress, loss of financial support and the loss of each girl, as well as expenses related to funerals and services, medical care, the past and future loss of each girl’s earning potential and the pain and suffering experienced by each parent.”

They say one thing but demand another which doesn’t sit well with most people.

corvettez06

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2007
Omaha
Come on...Maybe expand your thoughts on open scrolls.

bbarry464

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
Wichita, KS

Racist

JOHNNY N

Athletic Director
Sep 24, 2003

Adults providing alcohol to minors seems really irresponsible. And it's pretty clear that them getting drunk on that alcohol the adults provided caused their deaths. Seems reasonable that those adults should be held responsible for their irresponsible actions.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
So if someone gives kids pot, meth, etc and they die just say fvck it huh?

Whoever bought the alcohol is responsible for their deaths 100%, they can't buy it themselves.

Maybe if we held those accountable it would stop someone else from buying alcohol for minors 🤷‍♂️

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
What I was getting at is those people who want to have that person tried for manslaughter or murder
If it was meth, heroin, etc would you still feel the same way?

Last edited:

BigRedGal

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Sarpy County did not respond to the tort claim, so three of the five families have filed a lawsuit over the fatal crash.

The Odermatt and Brandon families are not participating in the lawsuit. Read into that what you will.

Families of three Gretna girls...
I knew this thread would get bumped after that article. Going to get interesting as they further investigate. Perhaps those hiding the identities of those who provided the alcohol will come clean.