ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Epic fail on the roads today

SeaOfRed75

Senior
Dec 5, 2010
Whoever is in charge of salting/sanding the streets in Lincoln.......You suck.
A few inches makes most streets a packed sheet of ice because you didnt get stuff down in the morning before the snow fell on top of the freezing drizzle.
About 5mph down 48th going home. Normal Blvd was the only street that appeared had anything done to it. Bro in law said O st was ok but even Antelope Valley Pkwy was horrible and about 5mph.
Good job city. Its not like weve had much this year to eat into the snow/ice budget.

Reactions: HBK4life
A few inches makes most streets a packed sheet of ice because you didnt get stuff down in the morning before the snow fell on top of the freezing drizzle.
About 5mph down 48th going home. Normal Blvd was the only street that appeared had anything done to it. Bro in law said O st was ok but even Antelope Valley Pkwy was horrible and about 5mph.
Good job city. Its not like weve had much this year to eat into the snow/ice budget.
Yeah when I was driving east on R street from 48th to 56th it was petty terrible at 2:00. Very social still out there, just glad the snow stopped finally.

I love the experts on road prep/cleaning every time it snows a little. The best thing would be for everyone to stop driving their frickin Honda Civics expecting perfect conditions when it is snowing. It is stunning how many idiots driving around in vehicles spinning their tires.

You could always move to SEC country and pee with the sit down like the rest of them...

I love the experts on road prep/cleaning every time it snows a little. The best thing would be for everyone to stop driving their frickin Honda Civics expecting perfect conditions when it is snowing. It is stunning how many idiots driving around in vehicles spinning their tires.
Normally I like your sh!t 4.6. But damn you can be a grumpy gus.

Lincoln's snow removal is a joke, I think somewhere along the lines they just said screw it we will let the cars just carve out paths for themselves. Omaha until recently has been decent but Jean decided to make a budget cut and is paying dearly for it.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Normally I like your sh!t 4.6. But damn you can be a grumpy gus.
Sorry man. It is so annoying to see people driving vehicles not equipped to deal with the weather conditions. Buy a vehicle that can handle it, or at minimum some snow tires and put them on in the Winter. The reason it takes so long when it is snowing is almost always little cares spinning their tires for 3 quarters of the green light, causing the traffic to pile up behind them. It's one of my pet peeves. It's just a reality of living here, and stunning the people incapable of preparing for it.

Sorry man. It is so annoying to see people driving vehicles not equipped to deal with the weather conditions. Buy a vehicle that can handle it, or at minimum some snow tires and put them on in the Winter. The reason it takes so long when it is snowing is almost always little cares spinning their tires for 3 quarters of the green light, causing the traffic to pile up behind them. It's one of my pet peeves. It's just a reality of living here, and stunning the people incapable of preparing for it.
I hear ya. But I saw more idiots in rear wheel drive cars struggling today than small front wheel drive Civic types. A front wheel drive will usually be fine with decent tires and a non idiot behind the wheel. Rear wheel like some Caddies and an RX-8 i saw struggling? If you dont have dedicated snow tires you are screwed.

That said some damn saline spray on the main arterials would have helped a ton.

Reactions: sparky62
Generally people drive what they can afford. I could see prioritizing 4wd in the mountains but its need is so infrequent that it would be a waste to make that the #1 consideration when buying a car.

Reactions: sparky62
Generally people drive what they can afford. I could see prioritizing 4wd in the mountains but its need is so infrequent that it would be a waste to make that the #1 consideration when buying a car.
I didn't say you had to have 4wd. Does it help? Yes. But I only use 4wd when I get stuck with 2wd. 4wd is for when you are in a place you need to get out of. 2wd cars are fine if they are kept up and have snow tires.

I jumped to a conclusion there about 4wd. I get that it's annoying when people take out cars that are obviously under equipped for the conditions. But I think it is a reasonable expectation that the roads should be passable for most any car, as long as it's driven carefully after a certain amount of time since the storm passed. It's a public service I expect my tax dollars to provide.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Relax man, it's like that EVERY time it snows in Denver. Be glad that they actually use chemicals that melt the ice in Lincoln. Denver is THE worst.

I admit that there is a lot of frustration when it comes to road maintenance, but lets put this in perspective. So someone spins tires & it takes you a little bit longer to get home. Take a breath. Watch the other guy & take care of yourself. 27+years of watching people try & hurry in this sh!t and it gets you into nothing but trouble.

Reactions: newAD
I jumped to a conclusion there about 4wd. I get that it's annoying when people take out cars that are obviously under equipped for the conditions. But I think it is a reasonable expectation that the roads should be passable for most any car, as long as it's driven carefully after a certain amount of time since the storm passed. It's a public service I expect my tax dollars to provide.
It was snowing pretty good late morning/early afternoon. A warning was put out and people were directed to stay off the roads to help snow crews do their work. The rush hour was of course a mess because people ignored it and packed the wet snow down causing ice. It is fairly unreasonable to expect every street to be clear all the time. Salt and spray is nice, but not a cure-all.

ADVERTISEMENT