ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric cars in a hurricane/flood situation

Hybrid F150s are sweet. Don't save on gas but have awesome acceleration from the electric side and the on-board generator is sweet. I bet it would actually come in handy in a hurricane.
I got to drive one of those a while back. I was legitimately startled by the acceleration. I'm honestly surprised that more people don't get in accidents in those things. Laughing Edit: Sorry, I was talking about the actual Electric F-150, not the hybrid.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Speaking of this, Ford has a extended range electric vehicle SuperDuty Truck under development. It has a coyote 5.0 liter v8 gas engine powering a huge generator, that powers the electric motors. Will be expensive at least as much maybe more than a Supeduty with the HO Diesel.

Flip side stationary that baby puts out a hell of alot of juice.

Kind of like a locomotive.

That thing must weigh 15,000+ pounds with a 5.0 V8 and an electric engine/batteries…

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
Toyota is now going hydrogen fuel cell.. and hybrid is just an interim step that is popular today. (I hear many ppl are not happy with their hybrids either).

I think a lot of car companies got their asses handed to them the last couple of years. They did this huge invest in EV, and now all the production is being cut way back. They won't want to stick their nose out again imo.

Gasoline is here to stay imo.. (even as a generator).. and you might see something similar with the deisel motor becoming a generator as well. Logically, this makes the most sense. going forward.
Oil is way beyond more limited than coal and will likely start to dry up by end of century by most estimates...

Electric Car Battery Problems​

“The International Energy Agency (IEA) tells us that an electric vehicle requires six times the mineral inputs of a gasoline-powered vehicle. EV lithium-ion batteries are made with materials that are expensive, and in some cases, toxic and flammable. Primary materials include lithium, nickel, cobalt, and copper. The mining of these rare materials, their manufacturing processes, and their eventual disposal pose real environmental challenges.

While 90 percent of average gasoline-powered vehicle batteries are recycled, at the moment, a much lower percentage of EV lithium-ion batteries are recycled, though that number is rising rapidly. And while oil is exclusively mined underground in specific areas, the components for lithium-ion batteries are often obtained through open pit mining that damages large areas of the natural environment. Let’s look at how these materials are collected.

Nickel is a major component of EV batteries and is found, among other places, in the rainforests of Indonesia. It resides just below the topsoil and is extracted using a method of horizontal surface mining. Harmful effects include removal of topsoil, extreme environmental degradation, and deforestation. We’re not really saving the planet with this process. Since the rainforests are the lungs of our planet, this is harming the process of removing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.

Lithium mining is also an issue. Over half of the world’s lithium is found in Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina, also known as the “Lithium Triangle.” The Institute for Energy Research tells us that lithium is found in salt flats in arid areas, and the material has to be mined from under these salt flats. Lithium extraction can take 18 months through an evaporation process that uses enormous amounts of water. Each ton of refined lithium uses up to half a million gallons of water. The results deplete the water table and cause soil contamination.

Cobalt is another major component in some EV batteries – though newer-generation batteries using LFP (lithium-iron phosphate) technology have eliminated it. Up to 70 percent of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. While cobalt mining has a similar process as lithium mining. Cobalt is a toxic metal and prolonged exposure and inhalation of cobalt dust can lead to health issues related to the skin, eyes, and lungs.

Cobalt mining in the Congo involves workers of all ages. Of the 255,000 current workers, over 40,000 are children and some are as young as six-years-old. According to Amnesty International, “thousands of children mine cobalt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Despite the potentially fatal health effects of prolonged exposure, adult and child miners work without even the most basic protective equipment.” The majority of these mines are owned by Chinese companies.

Copper is also used in EV batteries and most of it comes from open-pit strip mines in Chile. This sort of mining negatively impacts topsoil, vegetation, wildlife habitats, and groundwater.”

Reactions: dinglefritz
Electric cars are basically a scam. With the amount of electricity demand already skyrocketing due to the enormous requirements of AI.. heck Microsoft is restarting up 3 mile island.. you can be sure that other tech firms will invest in nuclear power stations as well. The price of electricity could far surpass gasoline.. however a gasoline engine configured as a generator operating a peak efficiency 100% of the time to make electricity sounds like the best way to do the electric car.
AI still uses a tiny proportion of total electricity usage, so it's not going to affect pricing in any significant way. Just one more example of how completely out of their element that this board is on these issues.

And I've already pointed out the stupidity in the argument that "EVs are a scam." EVs are in fact better than gas vehicles in about every way that actually matters, and especially as it concerns performance. I'm not someone who hates gas vehicles either, I own one and plan on owning one for a long time. Gran Turismo is one of my favorite games, and not too many EV's there either. But there is little to no basis for the hate spewed about EV's in this thread besides stupid conservative talking points that have no basis in reality. It's like those people want to go back to sniffing leaded gasoline and the terrible air quality that was present in large cities before emissions standards and environmental protection laws. No wonder that those same people seem to have lost a few brain cells in the process and are repeating blatantly false propaganda without thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
I couod blow that argument into a million pieces...but instead imma just going to say if EV's work for you great. I've less than zero interest in them amd wouldn't take one for free if I had to actually drive the gawd damn thing.
Would you take a half ev half ice vehicle if it were free and fulfilled your requirements?

Electric Car Battery Problems​

“The International Energy Agency (IEA) tells us that an electric vehicle requires six times the mineral inputs of a gasoline-powered vehicle. EV lithium-ion batteries are made with materials that are expensive, and in some cases, toxic and flammable. Primary materials include lithium, nickel, cobalt, and copper. The mining of these rare materials, their manufacturing processes, and their eventual disposal pose real environmental challenges.

While 90 percent of average gasoline-powered vehicle batteries are recycled, at the moment, a much lower percentage of EV lithium-ion batteries are recycled, though that number is rising rapidly. And while oil is exclusively mined underground in specific areas, the components for lithium-ion batteries are often obtained through open pit mining that damages large areas of the natural environment. Let’s look at how these materials are collected.

Nickel is a major component of EV batteries and is found, among other places, in the rainforests of Indonesia. It resides just below the topsoil and is extracted using a method of horizontal surface mining. Harmful effects include removal of topsoil, extreme environmental degradation, and deforestation. We’re not really saving the planet with this process. Since the rainforests are the lungs of our planet, this is harming the process of removing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.

Lithium mining is also an issue. Over half of the world’s lithium is found in Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina, also known as the “Lithium Triangle.” The Institute for Energy Research tells us that lithium is found in salt flats in arid areas, and the material has to be mined from under these salt flats. Lithium extraction can take 18 months through an evaporation process that uses enormous amounts of water. Each ton of refined lithium uses up to half a million gallons of water. The results deplete the water table and cause soil contamination.

Cobalt is another major component in some EV batteries – though newer-generation batteries using LFP (lithium-iron phosphate) technology have eliminated it. Up to 70 percent of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. While cobalt mining has a similar process as lithium mining. Cobalt is a toxic metal and prolonged exposure and inhalation of cobalt dust can lead to health issues related to the skin, eyes, and lungs.

Cobalt mining in the Congo involves workers of all ages. Of the 255,000 current workers, over 40,000 are children and some are as young as six-years-old. According to Amnesty International, “thousands of children mine cobalt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Despite the potentially fatal health effects of prolonged exposure, adult and child miners work without even the most basic protective equipment.” The majority of these mines are owned by Chinese companies.

Copper is also used in EV batteries and most of it comes from open-pit strip mines in Chile. This sort of mining negatively impacts topsoil, vegetation, wildlife habitats, and groundwater.”
They've stopped building these batteries for less efficient ones.

The combination of EVs plus AI, if both have greatly expanded usage as predicted, will tax the electric grid.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I’d take an EV (or one of them half breeds) for free, but I don’t think you were asking me. That being said I ❤️ my Bronco!
You are like the antithesis to the EV crowd with your $90k bronco! It is a very sweet ride.

I do think a plug-in hybrid bronco would be awesome, raptor version or not.

Toyota is now going hydrogen fuel cell.. and hybrid is just an interim step that is popular today. (I hear many ppl are not happy with their hybrids either).

I think a lot of car companies got their asses handed to them the last couple of years. They did this huge invest in EV, and now all the production is being cut way back. They won't want to stick their nose out again imo.

Gasoline is here to stay imo.. (even as a generator).. and you might see something similar with the deisel motor becoming a generator as well. Logically, this makes the most sense. going forward.
I’ve owned quite a few Toyota hybrids and they are the bees knees

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Hell I'm sure what I drive wouldn't appeal to most people...18 y/o Honda Ridgeline with 130K on it..and I know its the ugliest car/truck/elcamino ever made.
Eh, Elon Musk says, “Not so fast my friend!”

This morning I found myself next to a Cybertruck and was convinced that Elon ordered his team to design something ugly and impractical AF, just to show the world that his fanboys will still buy it.

Your odds of getting stranded in an EV in an emergency situation are much greater than with a gas powered vehicle. Just about every location has a gas station or somebody with a can of gas.

A group of out of state pheasant hunters rented an EV truck and drove out to central South Dakota….the truck went back to Sioux Falls on a flatbed. Do you think there’s charging stations in rural Georgia or Florida? When my son evacuated from Houston he had to take backroads through rural areas. Every little town had a gas station.
Idiots forgot their generator and gas for it.

AI still uses a tiny proportion of total electricity usage, so it's not going to affect pricing in any significant way. Just one more example of how completely out of their element that this board is on these issues.

And I've already pointed out the stupidity in the argument that "EVs are a scam." EVs are in fact better than gas vehicles in about every way that actually matters, and especially as it concerns performance. I'm not someone who hates gas vehicles either, I own one and plan on owning one for a long time. Gran Turismo is one of my favorite games, and not too many EV's there either. But there is little to no basis for the hate spewed about EV's in this thread besides stupid conservative talking points that have no basis in reality. It's like those people want to go back to sniffing leaded gasoline and the terrible air quality that was present in large cities before emissions standards and environmental protection laws. No wonder that those same people seem to have lost a few brain cells in the process and are repeating blatantly false propaganda without thinking.
For determining total pollution of a vehicle do you include the production of the vehicle or just the pollution once it’s purchased?

Reactions: dinglefritz
For determining total pollution of a vehicle do you include the production of the vehicle or just the pollution once it’s purchased?
Kinda like wind towers..... Nobody seems to realize how man hundreds of gallons of oil wind towers use to lubricate their turbines let alone building them, transporting them, erecting them and maintaining them. Yeah those power lines to those towers don't take any energy to manufacture and build either.....

Reactions: HBK4life
Eh, Elon Musk says, “Not so fast my friend!”

This morning I found myself next to a Cybertruck and was convinced that Elon ordered his team to design something ugly and impractical AF, just to show the world that his fanboys will still buy it.
had a similar experience about a month ago when one pulled up beside me.. i started filming it, and then remarked how it looked like an effing box.. the novelty wore off real quick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT