ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eddie Van Halen has died.

the first 4 Van Halen albums are incredible. Diver Down is ok and 1984 is great too. Van Hagar is pure garbage IMO.

When I was in high school, I had Van Halen (I ) on side 1 of a 90 minute cassette and Van Halen II on the flip side. When I was a freshman at UNL I bought Women and Children First and Diver Down at Dirt Cheap Records. I really was upset when I heard that Sammy was replacing DLR. I both Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. I was thinking the new band could suck and I'd lose two of my favorite bands. 5150 came out on Monday of my spring break. I bought it on vinyl that first day. Loved it!

When I was in high school, I had Van Halen (I ) on side 1 of a 90 minute cassette and Van Halen II on the flip side. When I was a freshman at UNL I bought Women and Children First and Diver Down at Dirt Cheap Records. I really was upset when I heard that Sammy was replacing DLR. I both Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. I was thinking the new band could suck and I'd lose two of my favorite bands. 5150 came out on Monday of my spring break. I bought it on vinyl that first day. Loved it!
Maxell or TDK?

Reactions: Crazyhole

I like Hagar in Montrose and a little of his solo, but its just terrible in Van Halen. Maybe if Van Halen started with him I may like it ok, but comparing it to the Roth version is just a joke to me IMO.

Whoaaaa. There goes the allowance $$$.

I was working a part-time job after school. I was 17 and I bought a $350 tape deck. It was badass. It would auto-select the tape type. I couldn't afford metal tapes. But chrome tapes had the high bias I wanted. I had quite a few records that I wanted to copy to tape so I could play them in my car. I think I got up to 30 cassette tapes. That was 60 albums for the car. Way before mp3s on your phone!

Reactions: otismotis08
I was working a part-time job after school. I was 17 and I bought a $350 tape deck. It was badass. It would auto-select the tape type. I couldn't afford metal tapes. But chrome tapes had the high bias I wanted. I had quite a few records that I wanted to copy to tape so I could play them in my car. I think I got up to 30 cassette tapes. That was 60 albums for the car. Way before mp3s on your phone!
Much better than calling the radio station, requesting a song, and staying glued to the radio for hours waiting to record it. Kids these days will never understand the things we went through.

people are familiar with the classics but some of these lesser known songs absolutely slap

Stay Frosty
Not Enough
Right Now
Where have all the good times gone
Won't get fooled again
You're no good

****s wrong with you? Cancer is the killer you wish Covid was.

This is Van Halen at their best

Great song, but I think that Best Of Both Worlds is the best single off that album. I have a thing for Love Walks In, too. Was at the Cotton Bowl in the summer of 1986 watching Sammy and Eddie duel it out. When they played Love Walks In, I remember kissing my girlfriend (at the time). It felt like the Cotton Bowl spun 360°.

Was there with my best bud (real name Texas) and his girlfriend. VH was headlining the 1986 Texxas Jam, featuring BTO, Keel, Krokus, Loverboy, Dio and finally Van Halen. July 19, 1986 at the Cotton Bowl. In the North Texas summer heat. We were about 20 people back. It was general admission on the floor. I showed the smaller guys how to protect their ribs and keep their feet moving during a crowd surge. Hoping to get some water from the fire hoses. Checking out the hot chicks on the guys shoulders. Man, I wish we had smartphones back then. I sure would have liked some concert shots.

I did see Van Halen again on this tour. At the end of October, Van Halen played Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth. I had 5th row, left center seats. I caught the Cowboys cut off jersey that Michael Anthony wore during the four song encore. Life is way too short. I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Great song, but I think that Best Of Both Worlds is the best single off that album. I have a thing for Love Walks In, too. Was at the Cotton Bowl in the summer of 1986 watching Sammy and Eddie duel it out. When they played Love Walks In, I remember kissing my girlfriend (at the time). It felt like the Cotton Bowl spun 360°.

Was there with my best bud (real name Texas) and his girlfriend. VH was headlining the 1986 Texxas Jam, featuring BTO, Keel, Krokus, Loverboy, Dio and finally Van Halen. July 19, 1986 at the Cotton Bowl. In the North Texas summer heat. We were about 20 people back. It was general admission on the floor. I showed the smaller guys how to protect their ribs and keep their feet moving during a crowd surge. Hoping to get some water from the fire hoses. Checking out the hot chicks on the guys shoulders. Man, I wish we had smartphones back then. I sure would have liked some concert shots.

I did see Van Halen again on this tour. At the end of October, Van Halen played Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth. I had 5th row, left center seats. I caught the Cowboys cut off jersey that Michael Anthony wore during the four song encore. Life is way too short. I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again.
Awesome story!

Best of Both Worlds is iconic like Hot For Teacher. Honestly, there are probably a dozen Van Halen songs that I would call iconic.

I still laugh about this, but one of my best friends was a big Poison fan back in the early 90s. I gave him crap about it but one night we were out fishing and he brought their 2 disc best-of album, and I couldn't believe how many songs on it were really recognizable and actually good. Kind of the same way with Van Halen, you don't realize how many great songs they had until you really think about it.

Reactions: bigboxes
Awesome story!

Best of Both Worlds is iconic like Hot For Teacher. Honestly, there are probably a dozen Van Halen songs that I would call iconic.

I still laugh about this, but one of my best friends was a big Poison fan back in the early 90s. I gave him crap about it but one night we were out fishing and he brought their 2 disc best-of album, and I couldn't believe how many songs on it were really recognizable and actually good. Kind of the same way with Van Halen, you don't realize how many great songs they had until you really think about it.

For sure. I was a big Ratt fan in the 80's and made fun of Poison fans. Of course, Priest fans made fun of Ratt fans. Now today, I love to hear Poison songs. Not to mention, compared to today's music, I take all that hair metal back in a second.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT