ADVERTISEMENT

OT: dropping cable and streaming FB games

Huskerfan2112

Senior
Dec 7, 2009
Covered in other , older threads but looking for up to date information.

if I drop cable what are my best options for getting Husker FB games, assuming we even have a season.

thanks

I stopped my services at the end of January when PlayStation Vue ceased operations. I will be making that decision as well. Not sure if I want to pay for tv. It's just me now. At this point, I would get streaming tv only for the Husker games. I'm pretty covered otherwise. Not watching as much tv.

Hulu Live is basically the best/cheapest you can get that will have all the channels needed (BTN & ESPN). The only cheaper services, Philo and Sling, don't carry BTN on either, and Philo doesn't have ESPN. I've had Hulu Live and I like it, we're taking a break from it over the summer, but it's easy to start and stop, unlike most cable services.

The other alternative is getting a really high paying job and not worrying about it. That should be an easy solution, right? Ha ha.

I've had directv about 25 years now. Its really expensive but they have so many sports packages, every time I try to leave them I can't find a better alternative. It sucks but that's reality.

Youtube TV has gone up a lot in price and I'm ready to cancel it. I heard that Sling will be carrying BTN this year. I think they were waiting on the CFB season for the big debut...

I've had directv for the last 15 years and was always able to call and get a decent yearly deal. I called this year she offered me a ridiculous price and said sorry and set up my cancellation. Two days later they called back same offer and wouldn't budge. Directv has gotten a lot stingier since at &t took over.

The other alternative is getting a really high paying job and not worrying about it. That should be an easy solution, right? Ha ha.

I've had directv about 25 years now. Its really expensive but they have so many sports packages, every time I try to leave them I can't find a better alternative. It sucks but that's reality.

I said the same thing and finally went to YouTube tv a couple years ago and love it. Still get all the sports I can handle too.

Reactions: ridge22
This is what I will be trying this season. It has all the channels you need for only $59.99.It's hard to find a streaming service that offers BTN, ESPN, NFL Network, and NFL Redzone. I won't be going back to YouTubeTV since they raised their rates to $65 and don't have the NFL channels.

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

Reactions: tpmcg
yep, YouTube took a pretty big jump in price. however, i do like the new package they have---or, at least a couple of the new channels. it still beats my other options---just not by so much anymore.

if I drop cable what are my best options for getting Husker FB games, assuming we even have a season.

thanks
Roku’s (Premiere or Ultras for your main streaming TV) or similar from amazon aka Fire TV etc. YTTV is the best bang for the buck -> 3 streams at once, 1 account owner and 6 family members.

I’ve done the math several times. I don’t see any savings switching from cable. By the time I’d pay extra for internet since it’s no longer bundled, and to get the channels I want, I couldn’t see where I’d be saving anything.

Granted, I live in an area that has multiple providers competing, so good deals are not hard to find.

Reactions: TFrazier
I think we all need to consider that two year contracts such as DISH and Directv are even more of a risk now than ever. As satellite providers continue to lose customers to streaming — and develop their own streaming products — satellite providers are likely to have significant contract disputes with providers. For example, here in Phoenix DISH customers haven’t had the Diamondbacks on TV for a year and this week we have lost ABC and a significant local channel. These disruptions surely will get worse.

Of course, as noted in this thread streaming services are getting more expensive. Also, some of them have bad programming holes. For example, here in Phoenix popular Independent broadcaster Channel 3 is not carried on Hulu’s TV services.

Youtube TV has gone up a lot in price and I'm ready to cancel it. I heard that Sling will be carrying BTN this year. I think they were waiting on the CFB season for the big debut...
I looked it up and there is something on Sling's website mentioning adding BTN before this college football season, though it doesn't have anymore information about when. With BTN added to Sling, it would definitely be the cheapest option for following the Huskers, unless it sees a huge price increase; although if you sign up now, you lock in the $30 price for a year.

Reactions: ATLsker
YouTube TV.
Month to month and cancel anytime. They have B1G network andwand asa of sports channels.

and most locals...i believe Sling does not offer locals and you have to use OTA antennae to receive any locals? i live in a rural area and difficult to receive any locals with an antennae.

thanks

I am a full-time missionary in the Dominican Republic and of course have no cable (can't find a wire long enough...sigh). Anyway I use Foxsports.com, ESPN.com, or any other provider and use a friends or family members cable tv log in password. I use a VPN and use a USA connection.

I did youtubetv for the football season using a Roku then cancelled after the end of the season. That worked pretty good. Now that they have raised their prices I will have to decide between Hulu and YOUTUBETV for this season. (or sling now per the suggestion above) These services are not as good as the old DVR though and when the game is on over the air channels, I switch over to my over the air antenna and DVR.

During the off season I am entertained&occupied enough by all the free Roku channels&tv suites such as Tubi,Pluto,Crackle,
CW seed. Some stations like CW,NBC and ABC have free streaming apps but it's quite the same as what you see OTA. So I switch over to my OTA antenna for some stuff. I can get some local news using Newson when streaming. Stirr had some local stuff and movies but their app is screwy for me so only use it a little bit. Locast is not done in my area but may be in yours. They pickup the over the air channels and stream. They are currently being sued though so watch out for that. Also it's my understanding that 20 minutes into your programming you might get bounced to a plea screen for donations as they are like public tv. They are supported through donations. Tablo allows you to get your OTA channels through roku but I believe you still need an antenna. Not sure what their DVR is like.

Last edited:
if Huskers don't play this fall Im droping youtube tv...the reason I got it is I could get all the nebraska games for 35 bucks a month, now it's 65 bucks and they just added disney and another couple annoying news stations..

I'll get a cheaper one like hulu, till the huskers play football again

the best value I found now is netflicks as far and watching tv shows..

I am a full-time missionary in the Dominican Republic and of course have no cable (can't find a wire long enough...sigh). Anyway I use Foxsports.com, ESPN.com, or any other provider and use a friends or family members cable tv log in password. I use a VPN and use a USA connection.
try MOBDRO you can get almost any channel

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT