ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dog diahrea

Hate to tell ya. Cat piss smell never goes away. Used to have cats that pissed in bean bag chairs. Lol

Don't have to tell me. That's why I was so incensed after getting the new carpeting. I bought a portable rug cleaner and a gallon jug of some enzyme cleaner that really does work. It's just expensive AF. I hate the smell of cat piss.

If you have a 9 year old dog with persistent diarrhea, there is likely something more than antibiotics wiping out their gut flora. It might be it but if things don't straighten out by early next week I would ask for a workup complete with a CBC and chemistries and serum amylase.
It was never an issue before the antibiotics but I'm keeping an eye on it. Main thing I'm always watching him for is signs of discomfort or general lethargy.

He had a similar bout when we first adopted him and he went retrieving in Lake Michigan for the first time and got a lot of lake water through his system.

What's the remedy for the things you're talking about?

It was never an issue before the antibiotics but I'm keeping an eye on it. Main thing I'm always watching him for is signs of discomfort or general lethargy.

He had a similar bout when we first adopted him and he went retrieving in Lake Michigan for the first time and got a lot of lake water through his system.

As in humans, there's not a miracle cure for pancreatitis. In dogs I think antibiotics and NSAIDs are often used. For pancreatic insufficiency there are enzymes you can sprinkle on his foot. A bout of diarrhea from swimming in a lake from a public health standpoint is very often giardiasis. That can resolve on it's own but in young humans and animals it usually requires treatment with an antimicrobial. Generally when you have a problem like your animal is having, there are multiple things your vet should rule out before you make assumptions about a cause. It's just good medicine to get a CBC and chemistry panel which includes serum amylase and lipase. Like in humans, pancreatitis often causes abdominal pain along with the diarrhea.

If it were me I guess I would pick up some Science Diet i/d or g/d and try that for food for a few days to see if it would help. They're pretty bland if I recall correctly from when I had to use it 20 years ago. Most vets handle it I think. Probiotics can actually cause some problems in humans and I'm sure dogs are similar in that regard.

Most likely cause is the two rounds of antibiotics he had recently. He had some dental work and also some fatty lipomas removed from around his ears. I think the meds wiped out his gut flora.

He's otherwise happy and active for a 9 year old dog. Vet wanted to keep an eye for Cushing's based on his last blood draw.

Our younger dog was the same way when we first got her, I thought she'd never shit solid but she got better.
My first dog had Cushing's and I don't regret the time or the money. Just hard watching the slow decline. We were able to treat the symptoms for a year and maintain her quality of life with some OTC drugs. Fyi.

Good luck.

Reactions: TheBeav815
A lot of people prefer pets. They make a better atmosphere in your house, but some of them can cause problems as peeing on the carpets, especially cats, and the owners get very angry about it. At the same time they can’t refuse their company. Someone chose dogs because they’ve got good behavior,defending capabilities, and they are easy to train. I also prefer dogs and I have found a website where you can discover all the information about the blue bay shepherd, I deeply recommend it.

Last edited:
He's still got the runs but he's otherwise his normal, happy, go apeshit at the UPS truck self.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 21 month old daughter so much hopes of restricting his food intake to only the prescribed diet are very low.

I once gave my dog a syringe of Pepto Bismol, and it seemed to help. She hated me for about a week, but otherwise no bad side effects.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I once gave my dog a syringe of Pepto Bismol, and it seemed to help. She hated me for about a week, but otherwise no bad side effects.
Yeah for temporary issues I will do the pepto pills. Much less upsetting to them than the syringe, especially if you wrap them up in some cheese. Great for a few-day thing but you don't want to do it on a constant basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT