ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do not use Gorilla Glue as hair gel

And now she’s going to sue Gorilla Glue because their label doesn’t specifically say ‘Do Not Put In Your Hair’.

Who wants to bet she did this intentionally just looking for a payday?

And now she’s going to sue Gorilla Glue because their label doesn’t specifically say ‘Do Not Put In Your Hair’.

Who wants to bet she did this intentionally just looking for a payday?
She can sue all she wants but she's not getting any money from them

I can't imagine there's a court in the world that would entertain this case

I can't imagine there's a court in the world that would entertain this case
Remember the lady who spilled her own cup of coffee on herself at McDonald's and got a gazillion dollars because of it?

According to the law, not everyone is smart enough to know that hot coffee is hot and that spraying industrial strength superglue in your hair is a bad idea.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Remember the lady who spilled her own cup of coffee on herself at McDonald's and got a gazillion dollars because of it?

According to the law, not everyone is smart enough to know that hot coffee is hot and that spraying industrial strength superglue in your hair is a bad idea.
Times have changed

The McDonald's coffee lawsuit is one of the most misreported and misunderstood of all time. Those jerks got what they deserved. The little old lady wasn't looking for a lottery ticket. She wanted $20,000 to help with skin grafts needed from third-degree burns caused by coffee served at 190°. Hundreds of other people have been maimed by their coffee, silly as that sounds. If they had helped her out initially, this all would have gone away.

This is why I come here: good, solid info you can’t get anywhere else.

Very surprised at the number of folks claiming to have already known this.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The McDonald's coffee lawsuit is one of the most misreported and misunderstood of all time. Those jerks got what they deserved. The little old lady wasn't looking for a lottery ticket. She wanted $20,000 to help with skin grafts needed from third-degree burns caused by coffee served at 190°. Hundreds of other people have been maimed by their coffee, silly as that sounds. If they had helped her out initially, this all would have gone away.

That's not the point.

Did she or did she not spill hot coffee on herself which resulted in those burns? This is a simple yes or no question.

The fact that she expected McDonald's to pay her medical bills is where I take issue with it - maybe we just have a different POV when it comes to self-accountability.

That's not the point.

Did she or did she not spill hot coffee on herself which resulted in those burns? This is a simple yes or no question.

The fact that she expected McDonald's to pay her medical bills is where I take issue with it - maybe we just have a different POV when it comes to self-accountability.
Well the jury agreed with me. I don't expect to be maimed by a company's product in the event I accidentally spill it on myself when the company had a history of hundreds of complaints about said product and did nothing. It's a beverage, not an AR15. Don't you dare spill this coffee on yourself, it could result in third degree burns! (Said no reasonable person ever)

McDonald's is a bit different. McDs was warned that their coffee was way too hot prior to the lady spilling on herself. I believe she suffered third degree burns in her genitalia region so some compensation (not millions) was justified.

That's not the point.

So McDs shouldn’t be held accountable ?

McDonald's is a bit different. McDs was warned that their coffee was way too hot prior to the lady spilling on herself. I believe she suffered third degree burns in her genitalia region so some compensation (not millions) was justified.
That coffee was HOT HOT!!

ImmaterialRedCygnet-max-1mb.gif

Well the jury agreed with me. I don't expect to be maimed by a company's product in the event I accidentally spill it on myself when the company had a history of hundreds of complaints about said product and did nothing. It's a beverage, not an AR15. Don't you dare spill this coffee on yourself, it could result in third degree burns! (Said no reasonable person ever)
So just to make sure I understand your position, you also think that anytime you drive a car and get in an accident, or use a power tool and accidentally injure yourself you should be able to sue the manufacturer’s because of your self harm?

Cars are dangerous and power tools are dangerous, so is spilling hot coffee in your own lap and spraying industrial strength superglue in your hair.

Reactions: greerprop
So just to make sure I understand your position, you also think that anytime you drive a car and get in an accident, or use a power tool and accidentally injure yourself you should be able to sue the manufacturer’s because of your self harm?

Cars are dangerous and power tools are dangerous, so is spilling hot coffee in your own lap and spraying industrial strength superglue in your hair.

I really feel like I'm wasting my time talking to a fence post, but here we go. One last try.

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases
  • McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.
  • The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.
  • McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.
  • McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.
  • McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.
  • McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.
She got the equivalent of two days worth of McDonald's coffee sales which were reduced down by 80%. If McDonald's was so sure of their position, they should have appealed instead of settling the case out of court. It's important to be right and not let ignorant consumers get over on you.

I really feel like I'm wasting my time talking to a fence post, but here we go. One last try.

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases
  • McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.
  • The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.
  • McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.
  • McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.
  • McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.
  • McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.
She got the equivalent of two days worth of McDonald's coffee sales which were reduced down by 80%. If McDonald's was so sure of their position, they should have appealed instead of settling the case out of court. It's important to be right and not let ignorant consumers get over on you.

f33.gif

Maybe clumsy people should just stop drinking hot coffee - I hear iced coffee is nice.

apples and oranges. 99% of Americans who purchase a cup of coffee from anywhere have placed said cup of coffee between their legs.

99% of Americans who have used Gorilla glue won't spray it on their head

I don't know the details of the McDonald's case BUT I do know that sometimes corporations settle out of court because that costs less than the legal fees would cost to keep the case alive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT