ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DirectTV pulling Rob Lowe ads

BetterRed

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2006
Somewhere in the middle of Omaha
No longer will you be seeing those quirky Rob Lowe Direct TV ads. Quite frankly, I liked them. They were at least a bit entertaining. Folks from Comcast had issues with the ads claiming they were misleading. The National Advertising Division ruled in its favor and said it "conveyed a comparative and unsupportive superiority message" and found no evidence that Direct TV had greater signal reliability, among things.

I'm going to kind of miss these spots. I found myself wondering who their next cable guy was going to be. Now, if they can only get someone to stop that annoying Acura spots with that hot girl singing that Blondie song. I bet I see those 100 times a day.

bye bye Rob

directv-meathead-rob-lowe-ss-04.jpg

Meathead Rob Lowe was awesome.

My job gives me access to Media subscription information. Since the inception of the Rob Lowe campaign, Direct TV subscriptions are up 21%.

They obviously worworked.

I was surprised to see there was some actual research on the cable companies argument against the commercials. This day in age, I figured all the losers that were portrayed by the cable company complained about being discriminated on national TV and forced DirecTV to remove them.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
My job gives me access to Media subscription information. Since the inception of the Rob Lowe campaign, Direct TV subscriptions are up 21%.

They obviously worworked.
Oh, no, absolutely they worked. The article even said so You're right, DTV subscribtions did go up. And I'm sure you know as well as I that an ad or television spot doesn't have to be entirely factual to be effective.

That figures...complain that you are offended!

I loved 'em all. especially,"poor decision making Rob" I loved the way he ate the Tuna sammy he found on the bus!
I also LOL @ the "deadbeat Rob"..."I saved $200.00 having motel surgery!

th

Originally posted by tarheelhusker:
That figures...complain that you are offended!

I loved 'em all. especially,"poor decision making Rob" I loved the way he ate the Tuna sammy he found on the bus!
I also LOL @ the "deadbeat Rob"..."I saved $200.00 having motel surgery!

th
Yeah, they were all good. I liked Creepy Rob Lowe. Sitting at the pool watching people swim....lol.

I think "peaked in high school" Rob Lowe may have been based on a poster or 2 on this site

please refer to the bench press and 40 yard time threads for a list of candidates

I think you will keep seeing the ads, maybe modified (maybe as is) but the BBB doesn't have the final say in this. They can recommend all they want, doesn't mean crap to DTV other than more press, more views and more new customers, what a deal

Comcast is behind this and they will regret it, as I believe it will cost them a lot of customers. I actually hope they lose so many they go out of business. Tired of people being able to disrupt or destroy somebody's life or business because they were offended.

Ahh that sucks! I really liked those commercials!!
frown.r191677.gif

I would never consider using DirectTV but I enjoyed those ads a lot. Those numbers are crazy if true, a 21% subscription increase!

Brilliant, successful campaign.

Too bad the plug has been pulled. I enjoyed each one of them....especially with the St Elmos Fire theme at the end.

Here in Iowa we don't even have access to local abc channel due DEV fight with station. Maybe they will have more room to negotiate. Better be back by football season, been off 3months already. Not a happy dtv customer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT