ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Decorative concrete

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
We're looking at hiring someone to do a stamped concrete or a concrete overlay for our front walkway, porch and back patio. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to pass along? We would do something decorative over the existing concrete. Does this stuff hold up in cold weather? How long does it last? Any particular advice would be much appreciated.

just dont tell anybody 'when', they'll just come by and leave their initials.

Once a year spring, you will need to power wash, then put a lacquer seal on it. That will bring the color back out and make it look brand new again.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I have those loose-laid bricks over sand and I hate them. The stairs are caving in, the grade is a mess, and chipmunks thing it's a tremendous place to live. And weeds grow up through every crack.

House was like that when we moved in, if it ever has to be replaced I'll pour big, ugly, boring, concrete slabs that hold up and don't need to be messed with all the time.

We're looking at hiring someone to do a stamped concrete or a concrete overlay for our front walkway, porch and back patio. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to pass along? We would do something decorative over the existing concrete. Does this stuff hold up in cold weather? How long does it last? Any particular advice would be much appreciated.
My wife and I have done the same thing lately and spent a lot of time researching the various companies. If you're anywhere near Lincoln, I recommend Stephens and Smith Construction. Ask for Cory and tell him Jim sent you. As an added bonus, if you have any new calves he's an expert brander.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I have those loose-laid bricks over sand and I hate them. The stairs are caving in, the grade is a mess, and chipmunks thing it's a tremendous place to live. And weeds grow up through every crack.

House was like that when we moved in, if it ever has to be replaced I'll pour big, ugly, boring, concrete slabs that hold up and don't need to be messed with all the time.
The weeds! My god, no kidding.

I have that in my backyard, shoots right through my shitty paver stone patio.

Then the concrete will chip and you'll get big cracks going 3 directions. The freeze/thaw will lift the slab and weeds will find a way in. You'll be pleased.

If pavers and/or concrete is laid correctly you do not have problems with weeds, cracks or slab moving. If the slab is laid without footings it will move and probably crack... If the pavers are laid without using polymeric sand it will be a problem later on.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Once a year spring, you will need to power wash, then put a lacquer seal on it. That will bring the color back out and make it look brand new again.
If you use the right sealer 1 time a year is not necessary. You can find the stuff the pro's use but you have to look around. DO NOT USE HOME DEPOT/LOWES CLEAR SEALERS!

I think stamped colored concrete it hold up just like any other concrete. Very durable. I will say who does it makes a very big difference. Go look at the actual work they have done. If they will not show you don't use them. most people will gladly show you because they are proud of the good jobs. Its permanent. Take your time and find the right pro.

Reactions: kidofSN
I'm not sure that I would recommend going over existing concrete unless it's stable (no heaving at all). Stamped concrete is great and actually reduces visible cracking in the future. It doesn't really require future sealing if done right in the first place, it'll just fade naturally like anything else and you won't even notice the changes.

Whoever you hire, get them to pour an L10-3500 mix because that will stand up better than the sand and gravel mixes a lot of guys do for sidewalks. Go to your local redi-mix plant and ask to see the final product from the different colorants and releases that they sell. Be aware that you're going to pay quite a bit more per yard because they have to clean the trucks out afterwards so the smaller the pour, the more it's going to cost you per Sq ft of paving (cleaning a truck for 1 yard is going to be the same price as cleaning a truck for 15 yards).

JMO, application of the release is the most important factor in making stamped concrete look realistic. Hire somebody that is experienced in doing this and see some of their prior work. It's pretty obvious who knows what they are doing and who will tell you that "I've done it before".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT