ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dan's Restaurant review: Slice Pizzeria

Dan Hoppen

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2012
Since people seemed to enjoy my first review (Lippy's BBQ) last week, I figured I'd give it a shot again today. I just had lunch at Slice Pizzeria, located in the Highlands area in Lincoln. What got me in the door was the promise of a pizza with Phat Jacks burnt ends on it, a combination that sounded so heavenly I simply had to try it.

The restaurant itself has a nice diner feel to it. There's more than enough seating and my meal was ready in less than 5 minutes. The service was friendly and helpful. They serve beer on tap as well.

Unfortunately the product didn't live up to the lofty expectations. The serving size was nice, though the restaurant seems to have a problem with counting - I ordered the two-slice combo and received the following:

I'm certainly not complaining about receiving more pizza, and to get that and a drink for $7.50 is reasonable to me. I just found it odd to call four slices a two-slice special. Dumb mini-rant over.

The pizza itself was fine but underwhelming. First off, it was swimming in grease. I'm not normally one to do this, but I toweled off my slices with a napkin because the grease was so overwhelming. That kind of got things off to a bad start.

The taste of the pizza was good, but there weren't nearly enough burnt ends on it! Putting three or four small pieces on a whole slice just doesn't cut it. The taste of the burnt ends themselves was fantastic (duh, it's Phat Jacks), but there weren't enough present.

And while the BBQ sauce base was obviously a nice pairing with the burnt ends, the flavor was too strong and overpowered what few pieces of meat there were.

Overall I'd give Slice maybe a 5 out of 10 on the rating scale. I probably sound overly whiny here because the pizza wasn't bad. It had good flavor and a pretty thin crust, which I'm a fan of. But if your dish includes Phat Jacks burnt ends and isn't incredible, it's disappointing. And this pizza doesn't stack up with that of other Lincoln locations such as the Isles, Yia Yia's or Lazarri's. In conclusion, Slice might be worth a try and I'm not opposed to going back. It was a nice spot for a lunch date, but I won't be rushing back any time soon.

Reactions: ktsoccertk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.