ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CWS advice

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
I've got some friends coming into Omaha for the CWS, first timers. They are asking me for advice but I'm no expert since I haven't been able to make it to a game in several years. So can you help me help them? What's the best way to get tickets? Best places to eat or get a beer? Places to avoid/not worth it/too crowded?

Thanks!

Grabbing drinks:
The Matt
The Blatt
Lefty's
Slowdown (later at night)

Places to avoid, since this will for sure be mentioned: The zoo, some lame museum, Morrill Hall in Lincoln and the Capital building.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I've got some friends coming into Omaha for the CWS, first timers. They are asking me for advice but I'm no expert since I haven't been able to make it to a game in several years. So can you help me help them? What's the best way to get tickets? Best places to eat or get a beer? Places to avoid/not worth it/too crowded?

Thanks!
Rocco’s for Jell-O shots

Grabbing drinks:
The Matt
The Blatt
Lefty's
Slowdown (later at night)

Places to avoid, since this will for sure be mentioned: The zoo, some lame museum, Morrill Hall in Lincoln and the Capital building.
I second the old Mattress Factory. Upstream Brewing for food/beer/pool. Let it Fly isn’t bad if you’re younger

Lastly, and guys will scoff at this: If you are a single dude under 40, go to the Max on Saturday night; straight night. Lotssss of girls go there thinking they’re “safe from being hit on” and most straight dudes are afraid to go, so the ratio works heavily to your benefit.

For me, it starts to where are they staying, location wise? Staying with you, or closer to stadium or Old Market? If nearer to stadium, although choices are limited, just eat where they can get a seat. If closer to proximity to Old Market and I’d include the Capitol District, then food and drink choices are plentiful. There are conversations happening that Capitol street has become an invisible barrier for CWS visitors exploring further south to include the Old Market area. I suspect the Double Tree hotel that blocks 16 th St is torn down within 5 years to address this and also provide another option to expand the street car northward.

I second the old Mattress Factory. Upstream Brewing for food/beer/pool. Let it Fly isn’t bad if you’re younger

Lastly, and guys will scoff at this: If you are a single dude under 40, go to the Max on Saturday night; straight night. Lotssss of girls go there thinking they’re “safe from being hit on” and most straight dudes are afraid to go, so the ratio works heavily to your benefit.

Nìiice!!!

This is soooo true!

My son had a teammate come from Minnesota and they went to 5 games earlier in the week, got all tickets on Seat Geek and they were pretty cheap. Anywhere from $10-$50 depending on the game. I didn't look but he commented over breakfast this morning that finals tickets are expensive. Right now it says "starting at $379" WTF?

Thanks!
Good luck getting tix unless you want to spend $500 for Saturday or $300 for Sunday. I'm not sure what school fanbase is paying these prices but they weren't even this high with LSU here. Maybe wait until right before the game and see if anyone gets desperate to unload their tix that they have listed for $500 now. There are tix that will go on sale tomorrow morning at 9 for the Monday-if needed game.

My son had a teammate come from Minnesota and they went to 5 games earlier in the week, got all tickets on Seat Geek and they were pretty cheap. Anywhere from $10-$50 depending on the game. I didn't look but he commented over breakfast this morning that finals tickets are expensive. Right now it says "starting at $379" WTF?
That finals price is ridiculous. The mark up these online ticket scalpers charge is criminal. If it were up to me, I would probably wait until first pitch to buy something. Not sure if that is smart. I suppose the finals having two large fan bases does not help.

Reactions: mgbreis
That finals price is ridiculous. The mark up these online ticket scalpers charge is criminal. If it were up to me, I would probably wait until first pitch to buy something. Not sure if that is smart. I suppose the finals having two large fan bases does not help.
I work with a guy whose policy is always to wait until the first inning and then try to find face-value from scalpers on site. I'm too lazy to do it that way but he's a born negotiator.

• Love
It’s really all about demand. When you consider that the main goal for any company is to make as much money as they can due to competition and AI tells them how to do it, the rest is basically out of their hands. It isn’t any corporation’s fault directly that more people want tickets.

Air BnB (along with all hotels) uses AI and demand to set daily prices for my properties. If I lowered prices manually, I would instantly become the nice guy that finishes last. Same goes for ticket sellers. More demand = inflation

Going to the CWS games, for the most part, is very boring. Generally you are not a fan of either team, betting on baseball is okay but not great, it is usually really hot out. The excitement just tends to not be there.

It is more fun to watch the game at one of the bars near the stadium, you get good crowds and good interaction.

• Love
Reactions: HuskerHusaria
First advice and I realize this is too late….come for opening weekend. Everyone thinks the championship series is the best. It’s not. Only two fan bases are left, many of them are tired and the locals have lost their steam after 10 days of the event. I’m sure they’ll have a great time, but the opening ceremonies through the first Sunday is the best. As far as what to do…just go to the stadium. Go to the bars down there, try to make friends and get invited to a tailgate. The CWS for most people is a party event. Day drinking. Beer gardens. Bands.

Going to the CWS games, for the most part, is very boring. Generally you are not a fan of either team, betting on baseball is okay but not great, it is usually really hot out. The excitement just tends to not be there.

It is more fun to watch the game at one of the bars near the stadium, you get good crowds and good interaction.
Im a big fan of NU and LSU after that. This weekend is two teams I really don't like.

Reactions: BTF69
First advice and I realize this is too late….come for opening weekend. Everyone thinks the championship series is the best. It’s not. Only two fan bases are left, many of them are tired and the locals have lost their steam after 10 days of the event. I’m sure they’ll have a great time, but the opening ceremonies through the first Sunday is the best. As far as what to do…just go to the stadium. Go to the bars down there, try to make friends and get invited to a tailgate. The CWS for most people is a party event. Day drinking. Beer gardens. Bands.
Great advice, spot on. The early excitement/crowds are way better. (and cheap on the early weekdays)

Used to go all the time but have only been to the new stadium twice. 100% agree. This is how we used to do it. Kind of like the NCAA tournament. First couple days are really fun to go to because everyone thinks they have a chance and anticipation is in the air.

Reactions: mgbreis and kidofSN
Let’s say you have season tickets but can’t make a game. The going rate for your section is 500-600. What would you do?

A. Sell for market price
B. Sell for face value
C. Give them away
What I have done and would do again is give them away to family. Having said that, next option would be sell at market price. I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is ticket brokers using bots to buy up 1,000 tickets a minute and then they turn around and resell them at inflated values. The Taylor Swift example is pretty remarkable- $400 and $500 tickets being resold for as high as $11,000 each. I was told recently that Swift's European concerts have a lot of American's attending because the tickets are that much cheaper in Europe. Ticket scalping is big business and in about every state that has a lot of live events, the ticket brokers have the laws set up to benefit themselves and move out the individual trying to sell his tickets.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT