ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Covid -19 Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
As you may know I made a couple of posts about the Covid vaccine while it was being developed. Well I'm happy to report that I was able to get my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. Really thrilled and enthusiastic about being able to do that. Feels like freedom is coming in about 5 weeks or so when I should have achieved full immunity.

Good to hear. They need to speed up the process and get this done so we can get back to normal again.
I was very impressed with the vaccination process I experienced by my local hospital system in Michigan. They really had set it up well. I have the feeling that vaccination will be ramping up considerably over the next few weeks. My hospital system is all ready to expand the number of its vaccination sites as soon as the State of Michigan allocates them more vaccine. They're not waiting to be prepared.

Reactions: HBK4life
Well.... technically the vaccine does not give you full immunity. But hey, close enough, I know when I get my shots the social distancing is over. I'm jealous.

As you may know I made a couple of posts about the Covid vaccine while it was being developed. Well I'm happy to report that I was able to get my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. Really thrilled and enthusiastic about being able to do that. Feels like freedom is coming in about 5 weeks or so when I should have achieved full immunity.
Just curious why do you see freedom in 5 weeks? No sarcasm

My wife got her first dose today and it's kicked her butt. Nurse warned her it might since she already had COVID last year. She said typically its the 2nd shot where you get the side effects, but if you've had it can happen the first dose since you may still have antibodies from the infection akin to a previous dose. She got the Moderna vaccine.

Sincere question to anyone who understands this stuff more than me... are the vaccines supposed to give longer lasting immunity than simply getting the infection? And if so, how? The standard we were given was 90 days from infection where she was considered "immune" and didn't have to quarantine if exposed (I never got a nasal swab test but a later antibody test confirmed I'd had it myself as well). Will the vaccine be limited to that same standard? Seems like a crazy short immunity window for a vaccine with pretty common and pretty significant side effects.

Reactions: kerpal_68
I was very impressed with the vaccination process I experienced by my local hospital system in Michigan. They really had set it up well. I have the feeling that vaccination will be ramping up considerably over the next few weeks. My hospital system is all ready to expand the number of its vaccination sites as soon as the State of Michigan allocates them more vaccine. They're not waiting to be prepared.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I'm sorry and I really shouldn't laugh, but it just seems funny that anyone would say that they were really impressed with the vaccination process. A nurse stuck a needle in your arm and it wasn't any different than any other shot you've gotten in your life.

I'm just imagining to myself a scenario where I would come away feeling impressed about receiving a shot that was so much better than any other shot I've received that I would say its impressive.

My wife got her first dose today and it's kicked her butt. Nurse warned her it might since she already had COVID last year. She said typically its the 2nd shot where you get the side effects, but if you've had it can happen the first dose since you may still have antibodies from the infection akin to a previous dose. She got the Moderna vaccine.

Sincere question to anyone who understands this stuff more than me... are the vaccines supposed to give longer lasting immunity than simply getting the infection? And if so, how? The standard we were given was 90 days from infection where she was considered "immune" and didn't have to quarantine if exposed (I never got a nasal swab test but a later antibody test confirmed I'd had it myself as well). Will the vaccine be limited to that same standard? Seems like a crazy short immunity window for a vaccine with pretty common and pretty significant side effects.

Why did your wife get the vaccine if she already had covid?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I'm sorry and I really shouldn't laugh, but it just seems funny that anyone would say that they were really impressed with the vaccination process. A nurse stuck a needle in your arm and it wasn't any different than any other shot you've gotten in your life.

I'm just imagining to myself a scenario where I would come away feeling impressed about receiving a shot that was so much better than any other shot I've received that I would say its impressive.
It's indicative of the brainwashing that has gone on in the last year.

i dont give a crap if they think itll make them immortal like the almighty mask does /s. Just as long as enough people take it we can go back to normal. It appears about 11 M have taken the first dose (1M both doses) So we are on pace to go back to normal in about 10 months to 8 years. I'm guessing itll be around 2023 at the earliest.

i dont give a crap if they think itll make them immortal like the almighty mask does /s. Just as long as enough people take it we can go back to normal. It appears about 11 M have taken the first dose (1M both doses) So we are on pace to go back to normal in about 10 months to 8 years. I'm guessing itll be around 2023 at the earliest.

There is no return to the old normal. Social distancing and mask wearing are here to stay. Dr. Fauci will make sure of that.

Well.... technically the vaccine does not give you full immunity. But hey, close enough, I know when I get my shots the social distancing is over. I'm jealous.
Well as my Doctor explained it, full immunity is roughly 95% but the remaining 5% that still get Covid-19 get non-life threatening cases so in practice it is 100% against death from Covid-19. Takes about 5 weeks or so after the first shot to get to that level of protection.

My doctor told me (to my surprise) that he has read the papers a lot of studies about the vaccine....and has seen nothing in any of them that conclusively shows you lose your immunity after you have had it. This surprised me because media makes it seem that all medical professions are behind this vaccine...he said he hasn't seen enough information regarding it . With that in mind he had me get the antibody test and it was positive....which means he sees no reason at this point to get the vaccine.

Just curious why do you see freedom in 5 weeks? No sarcasm
I see personal freedom from having to worry about getting the disease. Yes I know many people only get mild cases of Covid-19 but you never know until you get it if you might one of those who find yourself in the ICU. Higher probability for older people to get more severe cases of course but there also have been some younger people in that situation. That's all. I'm looking forward to returning to a little more "normal" life.

Isn't the moderna vaccine a one and done or is it a booster needed like the Pfizer one? Thanks

Yes, the side effects definitely vary by person. So far after about one day from my vaccination I have only minor soreness in the upper left arm where I got the vaccination. None of the other side effects like headache, fever, chills, fatigue, etc. that are possible. It's nothing at all which would prevent me from any normal activity. And some minor side effects are good because it means the vaccine is working.

You are right that the second dose typically has more side effects because the body has some immunity by then and reacts more strongly to the 2nd dose. I won't get my 2nd dose until Feb. 4 so can't say yet what my personal experience will be at that time.

Isn't the moderna vaccine a one and done or is it a booster needed like the Pfizer one? Thanks
NO, both Moderna and Pfizer require two doses. 2nd shot of Moderna at 28 days and 2nd shot of Pfizer at 21 days. They use the same basic vaccine technology. A single shot vaccine is under development BUT it is not approved at this point and I haven't seen its effectiveness which I'm guessing will be less than the currently approved vaccines.

The experts recommend all people get vaccinated including those that have had Covid although they generally are placed in a lower priority group.

Well you folks are wrong on that one. IT is NOT like any other vaccination process because of the demand for vaccination. In my case there was only one vaccination center for the largest hospital systemin the entire metro area (they serve hundreds of thousands of patients) so without proper special organization they could easily have been overwhelmed. I was fearful that it would be a horribly organized process still working out the kinks with wait lines like you see at airports after they've been shut down and people are trying to rebook flights. That's a madhouse I've experienced more than a few times.

Some people think that vaccination ONLY requires a nurse, a needle and the vaccine. Not true if you want to organize the system to handle massive numbers of people at a time.

I was very impressed because the vaccination process I actually experienced was extremely well organized and set up. The whole "line" was staffed adequately with surprisingly friendly/enthusiastic personnel and it moved quickly though there were hundreds of people at any one time.

You need to understand that my background is in business process improvement so I pay a lot of attention to those things.

Last edited:

Because you are only considered immune for 90 days after having it, after that you have to start quarantining again if you are a close contact. She works in a school as a speech language pathologist, so she is in contact incredibly often with alot of kids. Actually within her 90 day window, she would have had to quarantine for close contact were it not for that rule. We've had to quarantine 3 times, would have been 4 with that one.

It was offered to her, so with all of the above being the case, she decided to get it.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
My wife got her first dose of the Moderna on Tuesday and she had covid back in September. She said her arm hurt really bad the next morning then as the day went on she had body pain all over, but by the next day it was better. We talked about if she should get it or not and it just seemed the way things are going you are going to need it to travel anywhere anyway.

My wife got her first dose of the Moderna on Tuesday and she had covid back in September. She said her arm hurt really bad the next morning then as the day went on she had body pain all over, but by the next day it was better. We talked about if she should get it or not and it just seemed the way things are going you are going to need it to travel anywhere anyway.
The good news is that she should now have very strong immunity built up.

I see personal freedom from having to worry about getting the disease. Yes I know many people only get mild cases of Covid-19 but you never know until you get it if you might one of those who find yourself in the ICU. Higher probability for older people to get more severe cases of course but there also have been some younger people in that situation. That's all. I'm looking forward to returning to a little more "normal" life.
You dont have to justify yourself. It makes perfect sense. We've had dozens of young people hospitalized for weeks in KC and several had died. I would wear a mask and social distance for a long time if it would help keep people out of the hospital. some people value a hair cut over others being hospitalized.

Reactions: arf_man
That’s fine I was just curious like I mentioned before I not going to preach to people how to deal with covid if people choose to wear a mask thats fine if some choose not to again that’s their choice then you have people in between

Me and my wife got our first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. We both had Covid back in October. I didn’t have any side effects, but my wife spiked a 102 fever last night with some body aches and fatigue. But she got a good night sleep and is just fine this morning. So thrilled to be this close to being able to start to get back to a somewhat normal life!

Happened to me once. Had to get a shot in the ass for poison ivy. Nurse gave me a shot, I found out 8 hours later she stuck a band aid on my ass cheek and I didn't even know it...I was impressed. She was an older gal who had obviously perfected her craft.

Reactions: huntered
You dont have to justify yourself. It makes perfect sense. We've had dozens of young people hospitalized for weeks in KC and several had died. I would wear a mask and social distance for a long time if it would help keep people out of the hospital. some people value a hair cut over others being hospitalized.
Oh I know, no justification required. But I'm happy to answer questions if I can help anyone sitting on the fence to get vaccinated when there's such a huge number of anti vaxxers out there. It's the sole reason I made this post about my experience. You never know because if you could help one person make the decision to get vaccinated and maybe even save a life, it's all well worth it.

And for anyone who thinks the Covid virus isn't a serious issue, the CDC forecasts an additional 92,000 deaths over the next 3 weeks as Covid cases continue to break records in the United States.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecilB
Me and my wife got our first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. We both had Covid back in October. I didn’t have any side effects, but my wife spiked a 102 fever last night with some body aches and fatigue. But she got a good night sleep and is just fine this morning. So thrilled to be this close to being able to start to get back to a somewhat normal life!

Why did you get the vaccine if you already had covid?

So your sarcasm implies that you think old people should just die and are not a priority? I think there are well over 350,000 people who would disagree with you had they lived to comment. Winking

Knowing what we do about how huge a role comorbidities play in death, what makes you think they wouldn't have died from something else?

Over 7000 people die every day in the US on avg. Most of them old.

Because you are only considered immune for 90 days after having it, after that you have to start quarantining again if you are a close contact. She works in a school as a speech language pathologist, so she is in contact incredibly often with alot of kids. Actually within her 90 day window, she would have had to quarantine for close contact were it not for that rule. We've had to quarantine 3 times, would have been 4 with that one.

It was offered to her, so with all of the above being the case, she decided to get it.
Who is only considering you immune for 90 days? Is your wife going to get vaccinated every 90 days?

Where are you getting your healthcare advice on this issue?

Reactions: CatColumbia
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT