ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID-19 news. Out of over 3000 positive tests in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take under 1 percent mortality for all of the money you have to be decided by scientific consensus a year from today. let me know.

You would lose, because antibody tests won't be completed by then.

But let's look at this more as a silly comment more than anything. 64,000 people have died in the U.S. in just about 2 months. At what point do people stop minimizing this virus? I figured you guys would have this nonsense out of your system by now. Time to read up.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
no one is minimizing anything, that's a complete non sequitur. it's what can we do about it. does social distancing work? the evidence says no. do we know exactly which group of people is mostly at risk? yes, we do. can you wait out a virus? no, you generally cannot. Are our medical systems at danger of being overrun? No, they are not. Can you shut down the economy for long periods of time without devastating the country? Seems unlikely.

no one is minimizing anything, that's a complete non sequitur. it's what can we do about it. does social distancing work? the evidence says no. do we know exactly which group of people is mostly at risk? yes, we do. can you wait out a virus? no, you generally cannot. Are our medical systems at danger of being overrun? No, they are not. Can you shut down the economy for long periods of time without devastating the country? Seems unlikely.

Social Distancing most certainly does work. It's the one thing that works all the time, if you stay your distance from others. It just doesn't work very well when you have people that don't follow it. When given lemons, make lemonade. Stay active with the nice weather, but don't spread this virus to others. Reduce the spread, until we can get to a point where we have a vaccine, or get to the point of substantially ramping up testing.

BTW, the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was estimated at 2.5%, and it killed 50 million people. This one is more contagious. The only difference from now and then is 102 years, Social Distancing, and an antiviral that reduces the period of illness by 30%.

When are people going to start understanding that mortality rate doesn't mean squat? 1-2% of 330 million is still 3.3 - 6.6 million people.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
no, it hasn't worked. the more people have been out at stores or parks in a state, the fewer deaths they have had. the more a state has stayed home, the more deaths they have had. i'll take under 3 million deaths for a million bucks.

Reactions: bluenrg
no, it hasn't worked. the more people have been out at stores or parks in a state, the fewer deaths they have had. the more a state has stayed home, the more deaths they have had. i'll take under 3 million deaths for a million bucks.

That's patently wrong. Social Distancing does work when practiced. Want an easy way of proving it? Find a person with Covid-19. Once you find him/her, walk away from the person. You just socially distanced yourself, and you won't catch the virus.

It also comes with the added bonus of being quite easy to learn. No manuals or online training modules required.

Edit-You know what else helps...wearing a mask in public places where you know there are going to be large numbers of people. So a request to those that don't wear a mask in grocery stores...start doing it!

Last edited:
At Oxford England the Jenner group tested a similar Corona virus vaccine in humans a year ago AND FOUND IT TO BE SAFE IN HUMANS WITH NO ILL EFFECTS WHILE PRODUCING PROTECTION. I didn't see what their previous vaccine was for but I would suspect it was for MERS. The Serum Institute of India will be ready to ship 40 million doses when trials are completed and their vaccine is approved for release. That doesn't help us in the U.S. much but it will be a start. There are lots of companies doing the exact same thing. WHEN the vaccines are through their testing and approval process, things will happen very quickly. No doubt somebody will have a reaction and the anti-vaxxers will lose their mind. We HAVE to remember that a vaccine MIGHT cause a problem in a tiny fraction of people but it will potentially save several hundred thousand lives worldwide. I would take a vaccine today if I could get it. Sanofi says they can make and ship 600 million doses of CV vaccine next year.
Two things,no recovery rate facts. 14% or whatever is bs. 40% in Canada?
Another is, the msm is running into itself selling panick.
First, we hear peoples infections can't be that high, then they go out and scream headlines, over 40% of workers,key word here, are infected in packing plants, then they come up with sweat as a reason, meanwhile, they talk of air loading in controlled spaces.
Facts are, when theres shedding, in a controlled confined indoor area, air gets loaded, and huge numbers of people get sick.
This sweating and low numbers is bs. New York, because of its subways has a high percentage, higher than they're letting on, and since people aren't out and out sweating on subways, well, that's just cover, it's the air that's loading, not sweat. And high percentage of infections,likely ten or more times likely to occur, just looking at nyc vs upstate.

Breaking news out of S. Korea. They say the people who testing positive a second time did NOT relapse. The test was picking up dead viruses in their samples. As I suspected.
Yep, that nurse was said to have mild symptoms, the only case that wasn't touched by opinion.

It must be for some apparently. For those that have tested positive in the U.S., and the virus has run its course. App. 155,000 recovered, app. 64,000 deaths. I would suggest a calculator.
Dude, why is the US the only country with such low recovery numbers on the planet? Someones lying to us.
Canada is at 40%, I guess you get it here, then move to Canada?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
You guys are still doing the 1-2% thing?

Yeah, me and those silly science guys. On Sciency things, always have a sciency guy with you. The numbers won't be down to 1% mortality rate for at least a few years...until they do antibody tests on a large enough segment of the population. It may never make it to 1%. I have my doubts.

Dude, why is the US the only country with such low recovery numbers on the planet? Someones lying to us.
Canada is at 40%, I guess you get it here, then move to Canada?

Because we're all fat. In some clinical settings, being obese creates as much statistical risk as being a smoker.

I am ABSOLUTELY f###ing sure about that. We've used safe AND effective killed Corona Virus vaccines in cattle, pigs, dogs and cats for over 20 years. You're talking about a fu##ing study IN LAB mice whose immune systems are f'd up beyond belief. Why in God's name we use genetically wrecked lab mice and rats to test ANYTHING is beyond understanding. It's ridiculous. There was concern at one time about the vaccine for the feline CV vaccine against FIP. I haven't kept up on that and the last I knew a long time ago it was only recommended for cats in breeding populations with a known problem. Cattle and pig farmers give CV vaccines regularly with great success. The gold standard will be human trials of the vaccine. I think they'll be very successful.

"The FDA has never approved a vaccine for humans that is effective against any member of the coronavirus family, which includes SARS, MERS, and several that cause the common cold."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/will-there-be-a-coronavirus-vaccine-maybe-not.html

You would lose, because antibody tests won't be completed by then.

But let's look at this more as a silly comment more than anything. 64,000 people have died in the U.S. in just about 2 months. At what point do people stop minimizing this virus? I figured you guys would have this nonsense out of your system by now. Time to read up.

On average, 53,000+ Americans die every week, every year.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Pelosi-mask.jpg

Yeah, me and those silly science guys. On Sciency things, always have a sciency guy with you. The numbers won't be down to 1% mortality rate for at least a few years...until they do antibody tests on a large enough segment of the population. It may never make it to 1%. I have my doubts.

"A UPMC doctor on Thursday made a case the death rate for people infected with the new coronavirus may be as low as 0.25% — far lower than the mortality rates of 2-4% or even higher cited in the early days of the pandemic."

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/...-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html

The mention of hydroxychloroquine is not factual. I know of 2 individuals who suffered from Coivd-19 and both were given this drug over the choice of a ventilator. Both recovered from the pneumonia-type symptoms and did not need a ventilator. This is about Big-Pharma and their push for more expensive therapies. Yes, Big-pharma creating the talking points.

"So, we ignore the new york tests?
The princess cruise ship?
Our naval ship?
New york state?
There'll be more and more.
And, more and more, it's looking like 50to 1 people with little to no symptoms.

Now, that 2% is nothing to sneeze at, with 3/4s of them 60 and older, but that looks like where we're heading understanding wuhan infections"

"I don't worry, those denying early tests are being deceived. There will be hundreds od such tests involving millions of people.
Better get your denying in now, because most won't forget if it's cost them their livelihood.
Deniers will have to face this.
I'm not worried"

Who's denying tests? It's important that they are interpreted correctly if we are to learn anything from them and proceed with an effective strategy. "Naval ship" and "cruise ship" are closed environments and don't represent an overall population. That just leaves the "new york tests" and ummm, well "New york state" I guess. What's the methodology and the effectiveness of those tests? New York was a hot spot with the infected overwhelming some hospitals and nowhere near enough test kits to go around. Of course it is expected that there are more infected there than reported. But by how much? You have no basis to conclude 50 to 1 at this point. If the California studies were accurate, than the mortality rate is around 0.15% and 76% of New Yorkers have already been infected. Basically, the math is trash. The study looked at 3000 people shopping, again not a very representative population, but using those numbers they said 14% of New Yorkers were infected, which brings the mortality rate to 0.8%, still much more deadly than the flu. Who knows if the tests were even certified and what would those numbers look like if they had used a more representative population of those going out, those staying sheltered, various age groups, ethniticity, etc. And this is just one study. Other tests elsewhere have shown much lower infection rates.

I guarantee that no one wants this over and back to normal more than me. But we aren't going to get there with jibberish posting, incorrect math and a lack of scientific understanding. Weren't you the one calling hydroxychloroquine deniers retroconning berserkers? And now it has shown to be ineffective and even a dangerous treatment option. Aren't you still clinging to the 50:1 numbers that many experts have concluded are nonsense? You also seem to think that having a positive antibody = total immunity. No one knows if that is true or not. Based off of past coronaviruses, it's probable that some immunity is conferred, but how much and for how long? More studies and testing are going to be needed before we have any real idea. It will probably be about two years before a vaccine can be rolled out. Better get used to some level of social distancing during this period. Can we do that and get back to some level of normal? I think so, but we have to be smart about how we do it or else it will become a hot mess in a hurry. And then more people will die and more businesses will fail, etc etc. Are you going to accept responsibility for that? Doubt it. But maybe you can let us know how to solve the next crisis when the time comes.

Your last statements are laughable. And it's not the first time you've made these sort of vague threats. Maybe you should take a break from COVID19 threads for a while and get some professional help if you are struggling.

I heard Faucis new mask has ice cream stains on it.
Aka aka as all kidding aside, I'm not sure we can make a safe mask

That's patently wrong. Social Distancing does work when practiced. Want an easy way of proving it? Find a person with Covid-19. Once you find him/her, walk away from the person. You just socially distanced yourself, and you won't catch the virus.

It also comes with the added bonus of being quite easy to learn. No manuals or online training modules required.

Edit-You know what else helps...wearing a mask in public places where you know there are going to be large numbers of people. So a request to those that don't wear a mask in grocery stores...start doing it!

it's one of those things that sounds good, but the data doesn't hold up. Here's Western Europe:

Here's the US:

Social Distancing has not worked. The lockdowns did not work. Sorry.

The mention of hydroxychloroquine is not factual. I know of 2 individuals who suffered from Coivd-19 and both were given this drug over the choice of a ventilator. Both recovered from the pneumonia-type symptoms and did not need a ventilator. This is about Big-Pharma and their push for more expensive therapies. Yes, Big-pharma creating the talking points.

Pretty clear it works. It's an old drug so no one can make money off of it, plus Trump likes it. Double Whammy.

have you called the police on anyone not practicing proper social distancing? some good money to be made out there.

have you called the police on anyone not practicing proper social distancing? some good money to be made out there.
Likely one of the reasons only 15% of the people are 'officially' recovered.
Antibodies? We dont need no stinkin antibodies!

It must be for some apparently. For those that have tested positive in the U.S., and the virus has run its course. App. 155,000 recovered, app. 64,000 deaths. I would suggest a calculator.
I cannot believe you're advocating for healthy people who've recovered to clog up the healthcare system and take up valuable tests in order to prove the virus has run its course with a negative result instead of simply recovering and moving on safely at home for the sake of your precious numbers.

speaking of numbers, remember about a month ago when you were touting your own numbers you ran about how many folks were certain to be infected and parish from covid? how'd that turn out?

HeavyPastelCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

I think the sciency guys with this on their website might disagree. Antibody testing wouldn't come in play in their calculation for mortality rate. CFR would be a different story. I think cubsker would win the bet.

From the CDC website:

Section 3: Mortality Frequency Measures
Mortality rate
A mortality rate is a measure of the frequency of occurrence of death in a defined population during a specified interval. Morbidity and mortality measures are often the same mathematically; it’s just a matter of what you choose to measure, illness or death. The formula for the mortality of a defined population, over a specified period of time, is:

Deaths occurring during a given time period
dividedBy.png

Size of the population among which
the deaths occurred
× 10 n

When mortality rates are based on vital statistics (e.g., counts of death certificates), the denominator most commonly used is the size of the population at the middle of the time period. In the United States, values of 1,000 and 100,000 are both used for 10nfor most types of mortality rates. Table 3.4 summarizes the formulas of frequently used mortality measures.

"The FDA has never approved a vaccine for humans that is effective against any member of the coronavirus family, which includes SARS, MERS, and several that cause the common cold."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/will-there-be-a-coronavirus-vaccine-maybe-not.html
When exactly previously have we needed to have a CV vaccine approved? SARS died out within a matter of months. Why would the FDA approve something that the manufacturer stopped the process on due to resolution of the disease? Again OXFORD UNIVERSITY in England at the Jenner Institute had a corona virus vaccine approved LAST YEAR for a different CV which was proven to be safe and effective. Read the NY Times article. Google is your friend. The Serum Institute of India is packaging millions of doses of their vaccine which they're confident will pass the approval process. Sanofi says they will be capable of producing 600 million doses of vaccine over the next year as soon as their vaccine clears the human trials which will likely be soon. Fauci has stated that he is confident that we will have an effective vaccine before January 1st and that there will be millions of doses of vaccine available. Why? Because they must have read my posts since early February to get their heads out of their asses to expedite it. The approval processes in place have been there in many cases since the 70s. It's about time that somebody updated the protocols.

Last edited:
When exactly previously have we needed to have a CV vaccine approved? SARS died out within a matter of months. Why would the FDA approve something that the manufacturer stopped the process on due to resolution of the disease? Again OXFORD UNIVERSITY in England at the Jenner Institute had a corona virus vaccine approved LAST YEAR for a different CV which was proven to be safe and effective. Read the NY Times article. Google is your friend. The Serum Institute of India is packaging millions of doses of their vaccine which they're confident will pass the approval process. Sanofi says they will be capable of producing 600 million doses of vaccine over the next year as soon as their vaccine clears the human trials which will likely be soon. Fauci has stated that he is confident that we will have an effective vaccine before January 1st and that there will be millions of doses of vaccine available. Why? Because they must have read my posts since early February to get their heads out of their asses to expedite it. The approval processes in place have been there in many cases since the 70s. It's about time that somebody updated the protocols.
We've learned, but we've also learned the hard way as well. Some are still stuck on the hard way and ignore, believe it or not, science.

48 out of 71 deaths in the state at long term care facilities.

cue the Cub doesn't care about old people posts.

48 out of 71 deaths in the state at long term care facilities.

cue the Cub doesn't care about old people posts.
I prefer, thanks for the info myself.
Those nyc numbers were skewed by those new york state mandates,sending infected into nursing homes for cares. I wonder what their breakdown is, hate to think about it.

But, unfortunately, nature isn't some utopian man made ideal. Older and or infirm folks are getting hit the hardest, but the young have lives to live too,I say, give it to them, they get infected, vsst majority are fine, then immune.
Once immune, they can see the old folks all they want safely.

My main concern when this whole deal started was the nursing home population and the carnage this would cause. Too late.
It speaks to the virulence of it. We arent testing fully, so, we don't even know if asymptomaic people are shedding enough virus to infect the weakest amongst us.
I can see this as one way of this devastation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT